• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Beyerdynamic DT 880 600 Ohm Review (Headphone)

bmn1251

I had these for a while and enjoyed them. Treble peaks will usually bother me yet not so with the Beyers (yes they are brightish).The bass really is not bad with them, for me anyway; most people seem to like jacked lows to my ears.

Same for me! Never had any issue with them. A good solid all rounder for me.

Georgrig

phoenixsong

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The DT880BSE has more lows but sounds too muddy for me.
BSE comes close to the DT990 in sound signature.
dt880be-vs-dt990pro.png

That one improves by using the grey pads.
Indeed, there were so many variations that I got somewhat confused (although after hearing an un-EQed 250ohm version I spared myself the trouble of looking any further)

phoenixsong

If you've ever gone to a live indoor orchestral classical music concert and listened to a concert bass drum you would never say "...lighter music such as classical, orchestral...".
Depends on seating position though

phoenixsong

For the 1990 I think dekoni elite velour pads reduce the treble peak somewhat

dougi

If you've ever gone to a live indoor orchestral classical music concert and listened to a concert bass drum you would never say "...lighter music such as classical, orchestral...".
I went to a concert recently which used them. I was floored by the impact and volume, thinking I could never reproduce this closely at home.

rodrigaj

Depends on seating position though
If the concert hall is poorly designed...

I went to a concert recently which used them. I was floored by the impact and volume, thinking I could never reproduce this closely at home.
Practically speaking, impossible to reproduce at home....but I suppose if money were no object, etc, etc. If that were the case, you would be better served traveling around the world listening to the finest orchestras, in the finest halls.

mslim

One thing good about Beyerdynamic is that they sell nearly every individual replacement parts for their headphones.

Anyway, of all the DT880s, the 600 ohm has been the more "liked" headphones of the lot (32, 250 and 600 ohm) so I guess the fact that the frequency-response curve hugs the Harman curve for a majority of the range says quite a bit. But no other "reviews", by subjectivist or otherwise, have mentioned the low end distortion yet (perhaps I wasn't paying attention) but most have noted the overall "brightness" of the Beyer's tuning. So thanks Amir for objectively showing that (Also Solderdude's test).

Also, the chap at "Youtube - No themes review" has mentioned that high output impedance amp (100ohm) is the way to go for driving this headphone well from his tests. I do not understand the science behind this but Beyerdynamic's own very expensive A20 headphone amp has very high output impedance (100 ohm) so I think it kinda make sense if one presumes Beyer knows how to match their products. Such high output impedance amps go against the grain of the vast majority of the "top of the class" amps tested by Amir. (The above chap recommended the cheap Samson s-amp which has 100 ohm output impedance as an suitable low cost match amp for this headphone.)

If there is a logical scientific reason for this, would testing the headphone on different output impedance amps yield a different result? Would the distortion result change?

Last edited:

phoenixsong

One thing good about Beyerdynamic is that they sell nearly every individual replacement parts for their headphones.

Anyway, of all the DT880s, the 600 ohm has been the more "liked" headphones of the lot (32, 250 and 600 ohm) so I guess the fact that the frequency-response curve hugs the Harman curve for a majority of the range says quite a bit. But no other "reviews", by subjectivist or otherwise, have mentioned the low end distortion yet (perhaps I wasn't paying attention) but most have noted the overall "brightness" of the Beyer's tuning. So thanks Amir for objectively showing that (Also Solderdude's test).

Also, the chap at "Youtube - No themes review" has mentioned that high output impedance amp (100ohm) is the way to go for driving this headphone well from his tests. I do not understand the science behind this but Beyerdynamic's own very expensive A20 headphone amp has very high output impedance (100 ohm) so I think it kinda make sense if one presumes Beyer knows how to match their products. Such high output impedance amps go against the grain of the vast majority of the "top of the class" amps tested by Amir. (The above chap recommended the cheap Samson s-amp which has 100 ohm output impedance as an suitable low cost match amp for this headphone.)
Just the impedance different ones do not cover "all" of the DT880. There is at least also the chrome version, pro version and black editions of the pro premium and regular versions

mslim

Just the impedance different ones do not cover "all" of the DT880. There is at least also the chrome version, pro version and black editions of both the pro and premium version

I thought these were cosmetics variations only with the main guts (driver etc) staying essentially the same (mainly 250 and 600. I don't think the 32 ohm version had specials). Some have been limited runs so are currently unavailable anyway.

phoenixsong

NoteMakoti

I was hoping this would give my A90 a workout, but I guess I'm better off daydreaming about an HE-6.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
For posterity here's Oratory1990s measurements of DT880, DT880BE and DT990.
View attachment 138766
The DT880 Edition = DT880 Pro but with other looks. It differs substantially from the DT880 Black Special Edition.
The Pro and Edition are basically the same headphone but with a different enclosure and cable.

Below the DT880 Edition vs the DT880 BSE.
dt880-vs-dt880be.png

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
If there is a logical scientific reason for this, would testing the headphone on different output impedance amps yield a different result? Would the distortion result change?
Whenever a headphone has a variable impedance, then using a high impedance headphone amp will modify its frequency response. Here the modifications would be rather small so I think there are other factors in play (assuming the audible impressions are real).

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
The DT880 Edition = DT880 Pro but with other looks. It differs substantially from the DT880 Black Special Edition.
The Pro and Edition are basically the same headphone but with a different enclosure and cable.

Below the DT880 Edition vs the DT880 BSE.
dt880-vs-dt880be.png
I think the clamping for is different. Pro having higher clamping force. And this also causes tonal changes. Pro is smoother and thicker sounding, edition/premium edition sounds more open and trebly.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
yes, the clamping force differs and thus pad compression.
The oratory plot shows the Pro and Edition to vary just slightly.

The BSE differs from the E version where the BSE is very similar to the DT990.
Both the DT880 and DT990 measured by Amir show very similar FR and distortion 'profiles' and is what I meant with the DT880 and DT990 have a clear 'family' relation.

Tks

Major Contributor

How could they? Folks are either too old for treble rape, or actually hear it and dont dare to raise the volume any higher, so the distortion isnt picked up bt most.

At least, that's the only explanation possible. Either that or its the typical deaf audiophiles, or distortion measurements are pointless from an audibility perspective, especially if people can ignore the horrid bass out of these at higher volumes.

Perhaps the impedance being so high, no one can drive these things properly so the bass isnt even being produced much.

Top Bottom