• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

dddddd

solderdude

Grand Contributor
My DT1770 has the drivers phase inverted opposite my DT1990 and most other headphones.

DT1990:
sqr-analyt-vs-filtered.png

DT1770:
sqr-dt770-pads-vs-filtered-dt770.png

Reactions: GPJ

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Haven't tried it.
The HE400SE also has the drivers in reversed phase and no one complained about it. I assume because it is inaudible with music.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Those are the ones used in the DT177X.
Balanced could be handy when driving these headphones from portable sources.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The Beyers are a nightmare for owners with balanced amps... :)

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Nice to have the external wires gone

Yep, that annoyed me to no end.
I removed the cup, rotated the cup 360 degrees and now the wires point outwards.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
For the DT1770 you would have to seal the holes in the top where the wires came out of the cups.|
For the DT1990 open or closed does not matter.

damex

what kind of connectors does they on speaker board? i am thinking about recabling my own dt177x go eventually

solderdude

Grand Contributor
DT177X has the discussed XLR 4-pin. I assume the same pinning as described above (same pin numbering as regular 4-pin XLR).
There is no need to rewire anything inside.
It is just a matter of making your own cable.

damex

DT177X has the discussed XLR 4-pin. I assume the same pinning as described above (same pin numbering as regular 4-pin XLR).
There is no need to rewire anything inside.
It is just a matter of making your own cable.
i meant that white connectors present on speaker pcb (does not look like JST 3pin plugs):

1696487500664.jpeg

i want to eventually replace stock internal cabling for sake of it.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Why ?

What's wrong with that relatively extremely short and thick piece of copper wire that is in series with a much longer and thinner voice coil wire. What would be the gain ?

Besides... IF you are worried about the quality of wire you should be even more worried about the extra connector and perhaps even the solder joint and the copper traces on the driver's PCB.

I say IF you think you should be replacing the wiring (which won't change anything anyway other than your peace of mind) then I suggest to skip the connector and solder the replacement wire with 'audiophool quality' wire AND solder that wire with audiophool quality special solder directly to the solder pads of the driver wire (be VERY careful with that).

damex

Why ?

What's wrong with that relatively extremely short and thick piece of copper wire that is in series with a much longer and thinner voice coil wire. What would be the gain ?

Besides... IF you are worried about the quality of wire you should be even more worried about the extra connector and perhaps even the solder joint and the copper traces on the driver's PCB.

I say IF you think you should be replacing the wiring (which won't change anything anyway other than your peace of mind) then I suggest to skip the connector and solder the replacement wire with 'audiophool quality' wire AND solder that wire with audiophool quality special solder directly to the solder pads of the driver wire (be VERY careful with that).
well, things tend to wear down. especially exposed wires and connectors are tend to get wear and tear over time (well, if you actually use them).

i would use something that is used commonly here. mogami, canare or junkosha.

i want to keep stock hotswap connectors and just make another cable for swapping when in need. (is there a way you could measure length of stock cable?)

well, beside rewiring worn down earcups i can pre-make some of that connectors with miniXLR4pin attached ( i can see here
that minIXLR4pin have its own short cable attached to one of that white connectors )

my dt177x go have noticeable wear and tear on its miniXLR4 pin connector and replacement will be needed in the future.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I understood the question was about the white connectors.

The wiring inside is not subjected to wear and tear.
Only the mini XLR-4 pin could be subjected to that and can simply be replaced if needed (DT177X).
IME with these type of connectors they need to plugged in and out a lot on a daily basis for that to happen.
Most people plug it in once only. Of course people traveling with it might need to unplug/plug it more often.

What could possibly be the advantage of a few cm of mogami, canare or junkosha wire over the same length of 'plain copper' wire ?
The headphone cable I can understand given suppleness, length, mircophony, looks and technically even the resistance (because DT177X being 32 ohm) but not so much the capacitance/inductance but other than that what would that bring.

I can also understand wanting to correct the polarity on the DT1770 and wanting to convert these (250ohm) to accepting a different connector or wanting to make them dual entry because the headband wiring touching the head is very annoying.

But replacing that short inconsequential wiring just for the sake of knowing a favorite brand is in there just for that piece of mind.
It will not change anything technically except your peace of mind which, admittedly, can lead to technically inaudible yet perceived 'improvements'.

damex

> Only the mini XLR-4 pin could be subjected to that and can simply be replaced if needed (DT177X).
i would prefer to pre-make a 'drop in version' prior needing one. i have spare connectors and wire to do so.

> The wiring inside is not subjected to wear and tear.
sure, but part of the earcup interconnect goes outside of earcups too and that thing rubs against head/hair and anything else it could touch/rub against.

> What could possibly be the advantage of a few cm of mogami, canare or junkosha wire over the same length of 'plain copper' wire ?
consistency and it wouldn't be affected as much by oxidation when using spc instead of just a copper wire. i have some wires that have severe effects of oxidation over years of storage/use. might not affect any audio properties but still. i opened old stock dt770 cable and it had such effect too.
if i am wiring 400~600$ headphones - i might spend few extra bucks and get something with a guaranteed specs and that would look good/have better properties. even if it is just for internal wiring.

> I can also understand wanting to correct the polarity on the DT1770 and wanting to convert these (250ohm) to accepting a different connector or wanting to make them dual entry because the headband wiring touching the head is very annoying.
i think that would need two minixlr4 pin cables with that white mini connectors attached :)

> But replacing that short inconsequential wiring just for the sake of knowing a favorite brand is in there just for that piece of mind.
sure.

> It will not change anything technically except your peace of mind which, admittedly, can lead to technically inaudible yet perceived 'improvements'.
sure, i don't expect any perceivable improvements. i am not even sure we could even measure any changes there after 'rewiring'.

so there is two instances:
- earcup interconnects with white connectors which goes outside and will rub against things for sure and will ear down for sure
- minixlr internal cable with white connector might be good idea to replace when minixlr connect gonna need a replacement and it will need a replacement for sure.

so could you please help to find out which connectors do they use and length of the stock cables?

damex

> The sockets may be some kind of micro JST Beyer proprietary one's. I personally did not want to mess with anything there because the voice coil wires can be easily destroyed.
but i won't mess with voice coil. connectors detach and you can use new set of cable+connector (or redo whole thing as you please). all you will touch is pcb with connectors and connectors themself.

> I think just connecting the existing internal wires to a new set of sockets for the DT-177X is the only avenue that makes sense
i would prefer to redo whole thing using new plug, wire and a socket. oh well...

> Dual entry.
i think single entry makes more sense due to usage of 'standard' (to me) single entry miniXLR4pin. i am using miniXLR4pin on all my earbuds. also redo other cables to use same minixlr4pin where possible.
so single type of connector for any headphones i own :)

> A new cable is all that's needed for DT-177X (if desired) but even that is not necessary.
that's what i did but in a bit different way than people usually do.
i did use long minixlr4pin to minixlr4pin cable and short cable/adapter from minixlr4pin to whatever else like 3.5mm trs, 6.35mm trs, 2.5mm TRRS, 2x3.5mm TRS (sony balanced), 3.5mm TRRS, 4.4mm TRRS, 4pin XLR and etc.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
so could you please help to find out which connectors do they use and length of the stock cables?
I have no idea.

You could try to contact Beyerdynamic but am quite certain that everything that isn't a spare part they know very little of.

Do you mean stock cables (that info is in the data sheet) or the do you mean the wires inside. The latter will probably only be available in the production facility and chances you can get in contact with them are very slim.

Even if you did get the connectors the question would be if you can crimp or weld the wires instead of soldering them.

Should I ever have to modify one of them I would simply solder the wires from the connector directly to the outer solder pads (the ones that are not used for the VC wires) and call it a day. That would be 1 single time only. In 10 years time Beyerdynamic will have a newer better model anyway.
Replacing a single driver is not recommended anyway as A: you will not be able to get one from the same batch and B: a new one would not match the existing one.

When the current mini XLR is damaged simply put in a new one, desolder the re and white wire from the old XLR and solder them to the new one.

Top Bottom