• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Beyerdynamic 700 pro x, subjective impressions

Roy_L

TLDR: Very good (but not perfect). Why nobody makes more headphones like these (in this price range)?

The long story:
I've long been in a search for closed back headphones (for privacy and not interrupting others). My requirement were: (1) good sound quality; (2) relatively light; (3) sturdy build; (4) easy to drive. Apparently, a pair of headphones with this combination of characteristics are harder to find than I thought.

I've had quite a few headphones over the years (about 15, open and closed, some even quite expensive), and basically most of them were just OK at best. The only headphones I really liked, which I consider the golden standard (for me), are the Drop HD6XX (which I still use). However, they have their shortcomings- they lack bass (can be EQ'd) and are rather difficult to drive (depending on the music, but sometimes my THX 789 amp needs to be on maximum volume and there is still some headroom lacking). So, I wanted something closed back, with better bass which is much easier to drive. After some very bad experience with the Beyerdynamic DT770 (can't think of any headphones I hated more), I decided to give more of my money to Beyerdynamic and got the 700 Pro X, and I'm really glad I did.

The 700 Pro X are well sealed, sit comfortably, well built and I can easily drive them through my laptop headphone jack to satisfactory listening levels (that's new!). No need for an entire equipment rack with cables and power chords just to listen to headphones (unlike the HD6XX). I can finally slouch on my couch with just a laptop and headphones like a normal person.

Soundwise, subjectively, they actually sound very similar to good open back headphones; i.e.- sound is very clear and detailed, and even kinda spacious. They have decent bass, which is on the tight side (they do lack sub-bass though). I prefer a little less treble, but I don't think they are bright (somewhat more than the HD6XX, an order of magnitude less than the DT770). After some mild software equalization (a little more bass, a little less treble)- the 700 Pro X just sound excellent, without a hint of distortion. Which makes me think- why are such headphones so rare, especially in this price category? Everybody just wants open back/difficult to drive headphones?

Last edited:

Brianc

TLDR: Very good (but not perfect). Why nobody makes more headphones like these (in this price range)?

The long story:
I've long been in a search for closed back headphones (for privacy and not interrupting others). My requirement were: (1) good sound quality; (2) relatively light; (3) sturdy build; (4) easy to drive. Apparently, a pair of headphones with this combination of characteristics are harder to find than I thought.

I've had quite a few headphones over the years (about 15, open and closed, some even quite expensive), and basically most of them were just OK at best. The only headphones I really liked, which I consider the golden standard (for me), are the Drop HD6XX (which I still use). However, they have their shortcomings- they lack bass (can be EQ'd) and are rather difficult to drive (depending on the music, but sometimes my THX 789 amp needs to be on maximum volume and there is still some headroom lacking). So, I wanted something closed back, with better bass which is much easier to drive. After some very bad experience with the Beyerdynamic DT770 (can't think of any headphones I hated more), I decided to give more of my money to Beyerdynamic and got the 700 Pro X, and I'm really glad I did.

The 700 Pro X are well sealed, sit comfortably, well built and I can easily drive them through my laptop headphone jack to satisfactory listening levels (that's new!). No need for an entire equipment rack with cables and power chords just to listen to headphones (unlike the HD6XX). I can finally slouch on my couch with just a laptop and headphones like a normal person.

Soundwise, subjectively, they actually sound very similar to good open back headphones; i.e.- sound is very clear and detailed, and even kinda spacious. They have decent bass, which is on the tight side (they do lack sub-bass though). I prefer a little less treble, but I don't think they are bright (somewhat more than the HD6XX, an order of magnitude less than the DT770). After some mild software equalization (a little more bass, a little less treble)- the 700 Pro X just sound excellent, without a hint of distortion. Which makes me think- why are such headphones so rare, especially in this price category? Everybody just wants open back/difficult to drive headphones?

I have the 700s on order. Agree with a lot of what you said about closed backs. I've had and loved the Audioquest Nightowls (discontinued) for several years but their tonal balance is unique to say the least. With eq (and, with some music, even without) I think they are a very involving headphone. But I'd like to find a more neutral closed back that doesn't have to be eq'd and at least is similar in the midrange to the 6xx. Hoping I share your appreciation for the 700 Pro X.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Please provide feebdack after you have had a decent try out!...

Ashimaru

I was tried the open back version = 900 pro x. They are also pretty good in the price range. Less bass than 700 pro x, but most extended flat bass in dynamic driver open back headphone.

rockrolla

I think Beyerdynamic headphones are some of most polarizing headphones in the market because they are tuned in a complete different way , some people hate them some people loves it , it's something I wouldn't buy without trying

Last edited:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I see they have pretty flat frequency response without any pinna gain.

sushi2020

Excellent sound quality for Beyerdynamic, I would buy them if I don't have the DT1770.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I see they have pretty flat frequency response without any pinna gain.

They have pinna gain but just a (fortunately rather narrow) dip at 4 kHz:

1673949710948.png

Source and more: https://www.dropbox.com/s/d731zjg985g5kph/Beyerdynamic DT700 Pro X.pdf?dl=0

Anyway not bad for robust and comfortable workhorses...

Dazerdoreal

The frequency response of the 900x impresses me even more. If you forget about that dip, it is almost perfectly tuned to "IEF Neutral" with a moderate 6k peak. I think both of these are a good decision for those who dont want or somehow cannot EQ. Easy to drive too.

If you want to EQ, that 4k dip is a nuisance. But if you dont, the stock tuning is already very good.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The frequency response of the 900x impresses me even more. If you forget about that dip, it is almost perfectly tuned to "IEF Neutral" with a moderate 6k peak. I think both of these are a good decision for those who dont want or somehow cannot EQ. Easy to drive too.

If you want to EQ, that 4k dip is a nuisance. But if you dont, the stock tuning is already very good.
Yes, they are good improvements compared to their predecessors and like you say easier to drive:

DT990 https://www.dropbox.com/s/sqb4mgfgq86idwc/Beyerdynamic DT990 (fresh earpads).pdf?dl=0

DT900 Pro X https://www.dropbox.com/s/mwbjx32xdpsiuib/Beyerdynamic DT900 Pro X.pdf?dl=0

DT770 https://www.dropbox.com/s/npqrz9dqdda292x/Beyerdynamic DT770 (new earpads).pdf?dl=0

DT700 Pro X https://www.dropbox.com/s/d731zjg985g5kph/Beyerdynamic DT700 Pro X.pdf?dl=0

Ashimaru

the dip on the 700/900 pro x is narrow enough that it doesn't color the sound too much. You can actually reduce this dip by wearing them slightly backwards

peterphoenix

I have the DT 700 pro x since the launch and love it, good bass, mid range and smooth trebles, but for my taste, its soundstage is too small.
I'm listening music and gaming with it. Using EQ to boost the basses.
It's highly confortable and the sound has great resolution/imaging.

Attachments

• voicemeeter-eq-dt-700-pro-x.jpg
    voicemeeter-eq-dt-700-pro-x.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 130

Brianc

Had the 700x for a couple of days. Impressive right out of the box.
Pros: Neutral balance that doesn't demand eq.
Nice soundstage/imaging.
Comfortable though those with extra large heads may not find it so. Adjustment range is just big
enough for my somewhat long head shape.
Very easy to drive.
Sleek looking and seem to be very well constructed

Cons: Exposed cabling between headband and earcups makes me nervous.
Can't use balanced cables (though it definitely doesn't need the extra output balanced cables provide)

I think it's a great value for a set that can be driven with just a phone or a laptop. It sounds very good without eq but a little eq helps. Using the Qudelix, my PEQ settings are:
LS +1 @105hz Q.71

PK-3db @ 125hz Q1.00
PK +3db @ 260hz Q 1.3
PK +2.5db @3300hz Q1.4

Last edited:

peterphoenix

Thank you all for the suggestions. I was afraid of going to an open back headphone, but the Sennheiser HD560s doesn't leak that much as I expected.
In comparison, the DT 700 PRO X has more mass, like a bump in the volume, with a good separation, but in a small, confined space.
The HD560s has more space, even more separation, it's like everyone did a step back in the room.
To achieve the same overall volume of sound, in the HD560s I had to turn up the knob 5db on the topping DX3 pro+.
I drew roughly what I heard in my mind.

ref-soundstage-DT700PROX-vs-HD560s.jpg

Brianc

Had the 700x for a couple of days. Impressive right out of the box.
Pros: Neutral balance that doesn't demand eq.
Nice soundstage/imaging.
Comfortable though those with extra large heads may not find it so. Adjustment range is just big
enough for my somewhat long head shape.
Very easy to drive.
Sleek looking and seem to be very well constructed

Cons: Exposed cabling between headband and earcups makes me nervous.
Can't use balanced cables (though it definitely doesn't need the extra output balanced cables provide)

I think it's a great value for a set that can be driven with just a phone or a laptop. It sounds very good without eq but a little eq helps. Using the Qudelix, my PEQ settings are:
LS +1 @105hz Q.71

PK-3db @ 125hz Q1.00
PK +3db @ 260hz Q 1.3
PK +2.5db @3300hz Q1.4
Adding another "con": the XLR connection at the earcup. When I have the headband adjusted to the max (necessary for me to avoid the strong clamp) the connector--or the cable actually at the point it joins the plug-- touches my collar area which can be annoying. Plus it's a 3 pin connector not 4 so can't use balanced cables.

Last edited:
Top Bottom