• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Better to put most/all money into better headphones if ageing ears can’t spot difference wth existing combo

Darkness at Noon

Hi, I am currently looking to upgrade from Sony WH 1000m4 and a wired ATH M50X. Disappointed with the sound of the ATH I recently added a helm bolt DAC which I attach to an iPad Air 4 or pixel 4a 5g. It still doesn’t sound as good as the Sony. I was looking to upgrade to a Sundara or HD660 with a Zen 2 dac. However, if my ageing ears (67) can’t tell the difference with the current dac would I just be better spending all the money on best headphones I can afford and use the current dac. I listen via headphones and Apple Music for a couple of hours every evening in the garden to the likes of Pink Floyd, Eno, chilled rock and world music singers such as Yasmin Levey and Mariza. I don’t think it’s too nosy for open back headphones. Thanks for any advice.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi, I am currently looking to upgrade from Sony WH 1000m4 and a wired ATH M50X. Disappointed with the sound of the ATH I recently added a helm bolt DAC which I attach to an iPad Air 4 or pixel 4a 5g. It still doesn’t sound as good as the Sony. I was looking to upgrade to a Sundara or HD660 with a Zen 2 dac. However, if my ageing ears (67) can’t tell the difference with the current dac would I just be better spending all the money on best headphones I can afford and use the current dac. I listen via headphones and Apple Music for a couple of hours every evening in the garden to the likes of Pink Floyd, Eno, chilled rock and world music singers such as Yasmin Levey and Mariza. I don’t think it’s too nosy for open back headphones. Thanks for any advice.
I'm confused. What is the difference you can't spot? The M50 just don't sound very good.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I read it as he can't tell the difference between DACs (which makes perfect sense)

OP either needs to EQ or buy a headphone that suites his taste and not EQ.
Which headphone sounds good to OP I cannot say.

Needless to say the WH1000X m4 is bass heavy in which case the Sundara nor 660 probably will not be satisfactory unless EQ'ed.

WH1000 is closed and NC (good for outside) and M50 is closed. The Sundara is very 'open' to outside noises (the HD660 as well) and may be less suited for outdoor usage unless one also wants to hear all outside noises.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
If you are using the Sony I would recommend at least trying an equaliser. Can't recommend an App to do it, because I'm on Android, but for my M3 it made a huge difference in tonal balance.

nyxnyxnyx

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Can't count it as an advice but from my own experiences throughout the years now I'm just looking for something like:
Different headphones/iems/speakers that have considerable differences in characteristics (driver type, frequency response, measured CSD, whether the drivers or pads are angled or not....). This way it gives way more unique and diversified experiences, it's not great for the wallet but from a headphones enthusiast's point of view, I think it's way better than buying identical headphones.

I apply the same standard with amplifiers. Nowadays I skip almost all DACs unless I find something gimmicky enough or have great features that I need. Even if I include my bias, placebo effect and full blown subjectivism in, most of the times I tried to A/B DACs they just don't sound like a clear upgrade to me.
Edit: Oh and when you buy something you should give it some time before you decide you wanna keep it or not. I know some folks who are too quickly bored or excited with things and sometimes they weren't able to accurately rate how much they like or hate it. Consider using EQ or gets a tone control and mess around to see if the result is more desirable to you. At least that's the method I use to evaluate a pair of headphones.

OP
D

Darkness at Noon

Can't count it as an advice but from my own experiences throughout the years now I'm just looking for something like:
Different headphones/iems/speakers that have considerable differences in characteristics (driver type, frequency response, measured CSD, whether the drivers or pads are angled or not....). This way it gives way more unique and diversified experiences, it's not great for the wallet but from a headphones enthusiast's point of view, I think it's way better than buying identical headphones.

I apply the same standard with amplifiers. Nowadays I skip almost all DACs unless I find something gimmicky enough or have great features that I need. Even if I include my bias, placebo effect and full blown subjectivism in, most of the times I tried to A/B DACs they just don't sound like a clear upgrade to me.
Edit: Oh and when you buy something you should give it some time before you decide you wanna keep it or not. I know some folks who are too quickly bored or excited with things and sometimes they weren't able to accurately rate how much they like or hate it. Consider using EQ or gets a tone control and mess around to see if the result is more desirable to you. At least that's the method I use to evaluate a pair of headphones.
Thanks . I’ll give it a go.

Top Bottom