• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Better to buy a good sub and cheap audio interface or just a good interface?

Faktice

Hi !

I'm currently trying to buy some stuff for a new serious home studio because I want to create some music. So I bought a pair of KH 120 A yesterday and now I need to buy an audio interface.

But I'm in front of a dilemma, indeed I've 2 choices :

- Babyface Pro FS for 700€
- Motu M2 + KH 750 for 1000€

Unfortunately I cannot combine BPFS and KH 750 (too expensive :( )

So what would be the better option for me ? I mean, A good audio interface is very important for recording live instruments thanks to lower latency and I don't know if a sub will be beneficial for me since my home studio is in a small appartment (the room is like 13-15 m2) and I have neighboors.

What do you think would be the best choice ?

Thanks a lot for your help !!!

gnarly

Major Contributor
Hi !

I'm currently trying to buy some stuff for a new serious home studio because I want to create some music. So I bought a pair of KH 120 A yesterday and now I need to buy an audio interface.

But I'm in front of a dilemma, indeed I've 2 choices :

- Babyface Pro FS for 700€
- Motu M2 + KH 750 for 1000€

Unfortunately I cannot combine BPFS and KH 750 (too expensive :( )

So what would be the better option for me ? I mean, A good audio interface is very important for recording live instruments thanks to lower latency and I don't know if a sub will be beneficial for me since my home studio is in a small appartment (the room is like 13-15 m2) and I have neighboors.

What do you think would be the best choice ?

Thanks a lot for your help !!!
M2 and sub.....no question imo, even if you need reduced volume

jae

Major Contributor
I would get the Motu M2/M4, it is a great interface. I think many people would suggest it even on price alone vs the Babyface since that interface (while still being an exceptional interface) does not really give any additional features that would be particularly useful/critical in most typical usage scenarios. Optical in/out is probably the most notable one. Some people like the RME totalmix software but if you don't use it then it's no benefit. The Babyface will not give you any sort of real fidelity improvement over Motu and when you consider the extension from the subwoofer that is obviously way more critical when it comes to music production and reproduction.

Trell

Major Contributor
With the KH 750 you get the option for room EQ but you’ll have too pay extra for that.

OP
F

Faktice

Thanks a lot for your help !

So I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on the sub + M2 since the seller will give me a 100€discount on it !

Trell

Major Contributor
Thanks a lot for your help !

So I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on the sub + M2 since the seller will give me a 100€discount on it !
With Motu M2 + KH 750 for 900€ you got a very good deal. On thomann.de the price of the KH 750 DSP is currently 1539€, including German 21% VAT.

OP
F

Faktice

Yes, I can buy it used from a guy in my town for 800€ ( 1 year old under warranty)

Trell

Major Contributor
Yes, I can buy it used from a guy in my town for 800€ ( 1 year old under warranty)

That’s a very good deal, assuming the subwoofer is working correctly.

Did he buy the Neumann MA 1 kit for room EQ as well? This can be used with the KH 750 DSP along with you KH 120, and likely improve the sound much in your room.

OP
F

Faktice

Unfortunately, no, he bought a bundle with a pair of KH 80 DSP + KH 750 DSP, but if it's important i'll buy the MA-1 afterwards, maybe I can find it used too but it seems to be harder to find.

JktHifi

Buy only what is necessary, not what is convenient. What is unnecessary, even if it costs one cent, it is expensive.

Top Bottom