• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

"Better" speakers to begin with, or more "fixes" everyone knows?

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
You design speakers for a living AJ? Sell me a pair for my room; 16 by 19 by 11 feet, with an opening to the rest of the mansion.
Sell me two subs two. ...And tell me which amps are the best match for your speakers. Would all they cooperate with a normal furnished room with love seat and wall to wall music and films? It's a play room. ...Like a passion play (Jethro Tull).

OP
AJ Soundfield

AJ Soundfield

Major Contributor
You still don't see the issue? I am asking with real music that has content well above those frequencies, what is the subjective difference of not hearing "interaural phase differences" in that narrow band. Do you have this data or not?
Yes, I see the issue of you moving the goal posts.:)
Now you've got the part that it is detectable, but now you want a preference test to see if removing those detectable spatial effects by going mono <90hz is or isn't preferred.
I have one sure data point. Your (music) stereo - the Revels run full range stereo to 20hz, no mono summing of bass.

I mean you have not even provided a measurement to show your speakers do what you say they do.
They don't sum bass to mono <90hz. That would be the function of the pre/processor anyway, not the speakers unless you are talking a dedicated sub with summing circuit. All a Red Herring anyway, I'm not the only one doing non-mono bass below 90hz (You and JJ for example) for music and certainly not the only one using gradient bass, as I have linked (Revolution, PNW meet, etc).

cheers,

AJ

OP
AJ Soundfield

AJ Soundfield

Major Contributor
You design speakers for a living AJ?
No, not for a living. I do design/manufacture speakers, but make my living elsewhere, so I don't combine the two.

Sell me a pair for my room; 16 by 19 by 11 feet, with an opening to the rest of the mansion.
Sell me two subs two. ...And tell me which amps are the best match for your speakers. Would all they cooperate with a normal furnished room with love seat and wall to wall music and films? It's a play room. ...Like a passion play (Jethro Tull).
My speakers come with "best match" amps and subs all built in. I prefer it that way, even if others don't. I don't care.:)
Hook them to a preamp and you're good to go. They are designed to adjust/adapt to any room and preference. Hopefully.:D

cheers,

AJ

Phelonious Ponk

Addicted to Fun and Learning
No, not for a living. I do design/manufacture speakers, but make my living elsewhere, so I don't combine the two.

My speakers come with "best match" amps and subs all built in. I prefer it that way, even if others don't. I don't care.:)
Hook them to a preamp and you're good to go. They are designed to adjust/adapt to any room and preference. Hopefully.:D

cheers,

AJ

I apologize in advance if you've already provided one, AJ, but do you have a link to more information about your speakers?

Tim

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Tim ,I am first in line just hold your horses!
They look really interesting speakers though.
BW Keith

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
A good preamp...mono bass or stereo bass?

That is still on topic because the preamp has to be matched to the amps to the speakers to the room.
And mono or stereo bass is even more important in good distributed balanced bass into the room...for best low frequencies retrieval.

* Spring clean-up: the grass is cut, the deck cleanup, and today is another hot day...26° Celsius right now (in the shade).
Hot enough that I need to wear shades and relax under the big oak tree with a large glass of cold water with ice.
{I only drink a cold beer when it's over 40° Celsius, only one...two @ the most...to keep my body line sharp.}

Top Bottom