• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Better dollar for dollar? Passives + amplifier vs. actives + processor

ghostwriter

Hi, I've been looking at different setup options for a 7.1.4 home theater and I'd like to get some opinions from people that have experience with both passive and active speakers. I've never had the chance to hear a high end passive speaker home theater setup (or an active speaker one), but I am a little familiar with studio monitors since I've been using JBL LSR305 speakers for some years.

I know studio monitors try to be neutral, which I see as a good thing since it leaves the audio as it was intended by the mixers, and because it gives me the option to EQ to my liking, but most high end home theaters use passive speakers, so I wonder if I'm missing something in my theory-crafting of ideal home theater setups at equivalent price points.

Assuming a fixed budget at different price points, which would be more likely to offer better audio quality for mixed usage (movies, games, music)? Passive speakers paired with an amplifier or active studio monitors paired with an AV processor?

For some concrete examples, how far would I be able to go with the following budgets (USD)?

Code:
| Speaker* (each)| Amp/processor |
|     0 - 300    |    0 - 3000   |
|   300 - 500    | 3000 - 5000   |
|   500 - 750    | 5000 - 7500   |

Feel free to de-couple the speaker price points from the amplifier/processor price points, the pairings are mostly arbitrary.

*subwoofer not included

Some other miscellaneous questions I have are whether it's even a good idea to be using studio monitors in a home theater setting. Would studio monitors be overkill for a home theater setup or maybe just the wrong tool for the job? I've seen that many studio monitors are meant for near-field usage and might not get as loud as they need to at a distance. I don't think this would currently be a problem for me since my room is only 13.5' x 11.5', but I'd like the option to eventually move my setup to a bigger room. Another thing is that studio monitors seem to be very directional, is this a problem when it comes to home theater usage?

Like I mentioned before, I (un?)fortunately haven't had the chance to hear high end systems, so I probably don't yet know what I'm missing out on and/or have low standards. I realize it's not an ideal setting, but I have demo'd some studio monitors at local Guitar Centers; ADAM T5V was great, Yamaha HS8 hurt my ears, JBL 305P MkII was fine but didn't stand out. ADAM A7X was great but to my untrained ears didn't seem to be a huge improvement over the T5V, which I thought had a nice soundstage and sounded much bigger than they were. What kind of things would I miss out on if I went with something on the lower end like the T5V versus something 2.5x the price or more?

I'm looking forward to hearing some advice and opinions, thanks.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Welcome!

I have and use both active and passive systems, and if I was putting a system together from scratch, it would be with actives. For those who already have good amps, it can make it tougher, as both can be excellent.

I use a combination of 3xJBL708P, 6x705P for my main system, and I have no complaints at all. Those are wide dispersion speakers, with 500wpc so that's 4500 watts of amplification I don't need to provide. As far as near vs farfield, some active speakers are better suited for one or another so you just have to select for your room. I sit 14' away in a 14x20 room, and have no issues with SPL's.

For many, a monitor like the 708 isn't what they (or others with input to be considered...) want to be looking at in their family room either.

OP
G

ghostwriter

Thanks for the input, I've been looking at the speaker review and measurement index and the ones that stand out to me in terms of score and price are the Genelec 8010A ($350) and 8030C ($700), Neumann KH 80 DSP ($500), JBL 308P MkII ($250) and 306P MkII ($150). But since I've tried out the ADAM T5V ($200) and liked it, I'd include that one as well and would actually rank them as the highest on my list considering how good the measurements seem to be, especially with EQ.

Given your experience with monitors, do you think there are meaningful reasons for me to consider going with an option more expensive than the T5V if I'm an audio novice with a goal to have an impressive-sounding home theater setup? And do you have any suggestions for a minimum 11-channel processor under 7.5k? The ones I seem to hear about around the forum are the Monoprice HTP-1 and the Emotiva RMC-1/RMC-1L.

The setup I'm currently considering is 11x ADAM T5V monitors, 2x Monoprice 10in THX subs, and the Emotiva RMC-1L.

giraffejumper

Wondering what you went with.
I'm trying to figure out myself how to make an active speaker home theater.
I was dead set on buying 5 jbl 308s until I read that they were not loud as compared to the Kalis.
Then, I have realized that I don't have a receiver that can send a signal to them and will have to replace that.
Found out about the Outlaw 976, but it says it's discontinued.
And then, I have no idea the best way to connect them.
Rca to xlr cable?
Rca to trs?
I'm hoping to find my answers, but apparently a lot of people don't do home theater with actives, or if they do, they don't write much about it online.

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
Wondering what you went with.
I'm trying to figure out myself how to make an active speaker home theater.
I was dead set on buying 5 jbl 308s until I read that they were not loud as compared to the Kalis.
Then, I have realized that I don't have a receiver that can send a signal to them and will have to replace that.
Found out about the Outlaw 976, but it says it's discontinued.
And then, I have no idea the best way to connect them.
Rca to xlr cable?
Rca to trs?
I'm hoping to find my answers, but apparently a lot of people don't do home theater with actives, or if they do, they don't write much about it online.
Welcome Aboard @giraffejumper.

dangandres

Anyone know of any sub $1k 5.1 capable processor? Looking for something basic to take optical input from TV, have some simple subwoofer/speaker management, and output to all active 5.1 speakers.

I'm wondering if cheapest bet will be to get a AVR with preamps and just not use the built in amplification.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd go active but I don't have enough outlets where the speakers go (my older house is kinda limited)....I wouldn't worry about it much otherwise.

dfuller

Major Contributor
So... The issue with actives of course is you need a place to plug them in on top of running a cable to them, and the amps may or may not be adequate. . Benefits of course are you can feed them with a balanced signal which keeps noise down, and you don't have to buy amplifier channels for them as they have theirs built in.

Trell

Major Contributor
So... The issue with actives of course is you need a place to plug them in on top of running a cable to them, and the amps may or may not be adequate. . Benefits of course are you can feed them with a balanced signal which keeps noise down, and you don't have to buy amplifier channels for them as they have theirs built in.

Cables like the following in various lengths could make that easier: https://www.thomann.de/gb/the_sssnake_pc_5_power_audio.htm

Edit: Eh, replied to wrong post.

Last edited:

Trell

Major Contributor

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyone know of any sub $1k 5.1 capable processor? Looking for something basic to take optical input from TV, have some simple subwoofer/speaker management, and output to all active 5.1 speakers.

I'm wondering if cheapest bet will be to get a AVR with preamps and just not use the built in amplification.
AVR will probably be the best bet. Denon X3700H is great, but it is $1300. The lower models don't have pre outs.

Top Bottom