• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

[Beta-testers wanted] Multi-Automation Tool (M.A.T) for Equalizer APO

JediMa

Hola @tecnogadget ! Qué tal por mi ciudad natal ? ;) Thanks for your interest. I'm working hard on the updated User Manual at the moment, it will be ready in a couple of days. When it's done, I will gladly add you and @JediMa to the Beta program. The app works great already, but your feedback will be useful to find any remaining bugs or User Manual typos. Thanks in advance and we will talk very soon. ;)
Thank you!

JediMa

It works so nice and it's so easy to switch from Headphones to Headphones also from Eq settings.. Amazing job! Wow

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd be more interested in seeing you do this for some of the more common loudspeakers. You could start with LS 50s (original) and Metas, then add some JBLs like the 305s, and maybe something like the Kef Ref3s and Revel 105s.

OP
Jose Hidalgo

Jose Hidalgo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'd be more interested in seeing you do this for some of the more common loudspeakers. You could start with LS 50s (original) and Metas, then add some JBLs like the 305s, and maybe something like the Kef Ref3s and Revel 105s.
10 user-configurable devices are currently supported (more if needed), and each one of them can be a pair of headphones or a loudspeaker set.

However, AFAIK loudspeakers don't have an online EQ preset database like AutoEQ, for obvious reasons (the loudspeaker sound depends on your own room). For that reason, I guess it's up to you to create your own EQ loudspeaker presets. Nobody can do that for you. Am I wrong ?

I don't measure equipments and create EQ presets like Oratory and others do. I just hand to you a collection of presets created by others, in a convenient way. Let me know if there's something more I can do. :)

Last edited:

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
10 user-configurable devices are currently supported (more if needed), and each one of them can be a pair of headphones or a loudspeaker set.

However, AFAIK loudspeakers don't have an online EQ preset database like AutoEQ, for obvious reasons (the loudspeaker sound depends on your own room). For that reason, I guess it's up to you to create your own EQ loudspeaker presets. Nobody can do that for you. Am I wrong ?

I don't measure equipments and create EQ presets like Oratory and others do. I just hand to you a collection of presets created by others, in a convenient way. Let me know if there's something more I can do. :)

Maiky 76 has created optimization eq's for flat anechoic response for LS 50 and Metas.

For Metas

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-spinorama-and-measurements.18353/post-603589

and for LS 50s:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...50-bookshelf-speaker-review.11144/post-521244

A preset for each of these would be great

OP
Jose Hidalgo

Jose Hidalgo

The LS50 Meta EQ data is in EAPO format, so it can be added easily.
The LS50 EQ data isn't clear enough : there are 8 filters, but we are missing each filter's type (PK, LS, HS, etc.). Maybe @Maiky76 could provide a proper EQ file in EAPO format, like he did for the Meta.

With that said, let me just state that new EQ preset additions is something that should be done in three steps :
  1. By every user on his own. Adding new devices and new EQ data to your own database is really easy to do. Takes a minute, serves forever. ;)
  2. Once it works for the user, he can send me the proper data, properly formatted (EAPO format, + device type, device manufacturer, device exact model, + target curve / sound mode name), so that...
  3. ... I can collect the data and add it to the global database that shall be available for download. That is the part that I can do for everybody, but I still need users to do their part of the job and send me their favorite presets properly formatted, so I don't spend hours doing it. I'm already providing nearly 15.000 headphone presets, but I can't possibly do the same for speakers... o_O
The upcoming Database Manual (included in the final release) states how any user can do so (add new data, send it to me), and I'll be there to answer questions.

One last thought : this app uses the concept of "sound modes" : one sound mode = one target curve, and you can define currently up to 6 sound modes per device type (more if required).
  • For headphones it's easy : mode 1 = default sound, mode 2 = Harman (AE-OE or IE depending on the headphone type), mode 3 = Optimum HiFi. Those three modes are pre-defined, with all the presets you can think of.
  • For loudspeakers there's no standard AFAIK, besides maybe "flat response in an anechoic chamber" ? I'm not a loudspeaker expert by any means. I wish there could be some kind of standard target curves just like there are for headphones (at least something like "Flat response", "Bass boost", "Treble boost", you name it.). But like I said, room response always gets on the way and can ruin everything for any user...

OP
Jose Hidalgo

Jose Hidalgo

Some news on the project : a new Beta is about to come out. It should be the last one before the first public release. ;)

The app has evolved a lot, and now offers among other things :
  • A catchier name that some of you already know
  • 1 and 2-user support for dual listening sessions
  • Support for both headphones (AE-OE and IE) and loudspeaker sets
  • All your devices can be memorized (currently 10 devices but it can be increased, so ask if necessary)
  • AutoEQ database integration (3355 Harman headphone presets, plus as many Optimum HiFi presets
  • Custom EQ preset support : add any preset you like !
  • EQ Preset priority support
  • Hi-res device pictures
  • HeSuVi integration
  • Volume control
  • Quick L-R inversion
  • Clear mode / dark mode / transparent mode
  • On top of that, a new 7-band parametric EQ (that can be applied AFTER matching a given target curve) for further fine-tuning on a song-per-song basis. This EQ has a useful "Tilt" function as requested by several of you. It also includes dynamic headroom allocation so you don't have to worry about the preamp level. I'm currently giving it the finishing touch.

2021.05.28 - 00.15.45.png

Current UI design - the final version may be slightly different

Customization has been simplified, EQ settings are auto-saved, and it's of course still free (and will always be).

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Some news on the project : a new Beta is about to come out. It should be the last one before the first public release. ;)

The app has evolved a lot, and now offers among other things :
  • A catchier name that some of you already know
  • 1 and 2-user support for dual listening sessions
  • Support for both headphones (AE-OE and IE) and loudspeaker sets
  • All your devices can be memorized (currently 10 devices but it can be increased, so ask if necessary)
  • AutoEQ database integration (3355 Harman headphone presets, plus as many Optimum HiFi presets
  • Custom EQ preset support : add any preset you like !
  • EQ Preset priority support
  • Hi-res device pictures
  • HeSuVi integration
  • Volume control
  • Quick L-R inversion
  • Clear mode / dark mode / transparent mode
  • On top of that, a new 7-band parametric EQ (that can be applied AFTER matching a given target curve) for further fine-tuning on a song-per-song basis. This EQ has a useful "Tilt" function as requested by several of you. It also includes dynamic headroom allocation so you don't have to worry about the preamp level. I'm currently giving it the finishing touch.

Customization has been simplified, EQ settings are auto-saved, and it's of course still free (and will always be).

Looking interesting.

What is Box?

OP
Jose Hidalgo

Jose Hidalgo

Thank you Jimbo. Currently Box (for lack of a better short name - suggestions welcome) is a 600 Hz parametric filter designed to find balance between "boxy" and "hollow" on some tracks. The idea is to have 3 filters (or groups of filters - for example Boost and Warmth are groups of filters) below 1K, then the famous Tilt, then 3 filters above 1K. Not too few, and not too many : just the right amount to fine-tune some tracks easily in real time.

Everything is meant to be easy to use (enter your own device info once and for all), hiding all the complexity that lies behind (EAPO, AutoEQ, etc.), so the final user can just focus on the music. Even the GUI can be instantly hidden and brought back. It was a lot of work, often painful I must say, but we're finally getting there. :)

kneepel

I'd definitely be up for trying if poss, already using EqualizerAPO but this is a pretty cool sounding solution to make it easier for hoarders to EQ haha.

I'm currently switching between HE-400i's, Takstar Pro 82's and ATH-M50x's.

OP
Jose Hidalgo

Jose Hidalgo

Beta-testers are welcome, with only one condition : they all need to be responsive (read messages and reply within 24h or so). Especially for new board members, they will need to make sure that their email notifications are ON for private messages. Beta-testing is not about getting the app before anybody else, but about helping track the remaining bugs so the app can be released publicly as soon as possible. :)

I'm saying this because 3 weeks ago I added 3 more beta-testers, and 2 of them (no names) were unable to test anything because they forgot to come back to ASR and didn't seem to get any notifications :facepalm:, which ultimately made us waste a lot of time. Thankfully the third one was up to the task, so we could get some work done. ;)

On the bright side, lots of bugs have already been corrected, the app runs stable so far, and most of all, it's harmless to your system. I'm currently still fine-tuning the slider EQ. Then I need to update the User Manual (lots of small additions). So I hope to release the latest Beta within a week if all goes well. Maybe before it we're lucky. But it's really a lot of work, so bear with me on this one. Thank you.

OP
Jose Hidalgo

Jose Hidalgo

Latest Beta is officially out ! :D
Beta-testers who volunteered have already received private messages. If you want to volunteer too, it's still time, so hurry up and tell me.
This should be the last Beta round, so the first public release is very close now. Fingers crossed ! :)

ancalimon

Just created an account because of this thread. I am a total EQ noob, because of that I am really looking forward to try the public relase. Best of luck with your project, it looks really promising.

OP
Jose Hidalgo

Jose Hidalgo

Great news ! :D (@ancalimon , it's coming !)

A few days ago we have reached the final RC (Release Candidate) status. Beta testers feedback has been excellent, and thanks to them lots of bugs and glitches have been corrected. I was lucky enough to also have Peter Verbeek (PEACE developer) among the testers. His suggestions have helped take the app to the next level.

The current version is really stable and I have stopped development of new features. Now I'm just cleaning up the code (2500 lines). The manuals are ready : Installation (2 pages) / User Manual with a foolproof walkthrough and a list of all customization options (22 pages) / Database Manual (6 pages). Yes, it was a lot of work. :p @Jimbob54 , the default EQ bands have slightly changed, and so have their names, but that can be customized too. Want to add your own bands ? Custom filters (or groups of filters) per band ? No problem !

The app should be released publicly very soon. 1, 2, 3 days, I don't know exactly. But VERY SOON.
It will presumably be on SourceForge (home of EAPO, PEACE and HeSuVi, so it makes sense).
I can now reveal its new, catchier name : check the screen caps below and you'll find it. ;)

Mode Dark.jpg
Mode Clear.jpg

2021.06.12 - 20.25.28.png
2021.06.12 - 20.26.00.png

2021.06.12 - 20.34.17.png
2021.06.12 - 20.34.28.png

2021.06.12 - 20.31.11.png
2021.06.12 - 20.31.21.png

2021.06.12 - 20.31.26.png

Tray Menu.png

Please note that the 3 loudspeaker pictures are currently just eye-candy, since I don't have EQ presets for those devices yet. I'll be happy to add loudspeaker presets in the future if people provide them using the Database Manual instructions. Loudspeakers are of course a different story since room influence comes into play (no two rooms are alike, and few people have an anechoic chamber :p). So currently the app is packed with "only" 15.000 headphone EQ presets. ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom