• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Beta Test: Multitone Loopback Analyzer software

OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
And here are the first two (IMHO obvious) wishes:

1. Add buttons to show only blue or white (so one can toggle the view between all three states)
2. Add Auto dBr, so that the highest peak is set to 0 dBr and the scale is also auto adjusted. Makes it much easier to get the values (ratio) of noise floor and harmonics from the screen.

Question - does this one only work with its own signal that it generates? If so, in a synced state, it should be possible to select 'none' in the window choices.

And it crashes on every second measurement when ASIO MADIface USB is output and WASAPI Analog 1/2 is input (using the ADI-2 Pro).

1 and 2 - easy. ASIO is harder, as MADIface driver doesn’t work in a Windows VM for me. I’ll need an actual Windows PC to test ;)

It is designed to work with unsynced DAC and ADC. It should work without a window when these are synced, but I’ll need to make sure all the calculations internally don’t require it.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Be nice to have an exact copy of the multi-tone amir uses built into this. His signal varies phase of the different tones to maintain a more controllable level.

So far I'm doing a straight loopback with a BabyFace Pro FS and results aren't very good. The frequency response is way off using 20 tones. Like showing peaks and dips of more than 5 db. Have I set something wrong or just need 1000 tones?

Also does this reset between each recording. It graphes like it does not, but maybe it blanks itself prior to each new measurement recording. Like the software as you've laid it out to work.

MC_RME

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Set the Window to BH7, use 128k FFT, no averaging. Looks good on my system.

Oh, you might have to check in Sounds Control Panel, used input device Properties / Advanced that the 'Sound Improvement' option is unchecked.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Okay, so using 200 tones, 1 million FFT, and 16 averages I obtained some very impressive results and a flat FR.

1636175795541.png

Last edited:
OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Be nice to have an exact copy of the multi-tone amir uses built into this. His signal varies phase of the different tones to maintain a more controllable level.

So far I'm doing a straight loopback with a BabyFace Pro FS and results aren't very good. The frequency response is way off using 20 tones. Like showing peaks and dips of more than 5 db. Have I set something wrong or just need 1000 tones?

Also does this reset between each recording. It graphes like it does not, but maybe it blanks itself prior to each new measurement recording. Like the software as you've laid it out to work.

Multitone does phase optimization pass on all multitone test signals from 2 to 10000. It will likely not be the same as what Amir uses, but I can certainly add the one he has, as I recall there being a list of frequency/phase for what he's using.

If you have large random variations in amplitude, you're either clipping one of the devices or have random amplitude option turned on in settings

1636202056159.png

Multitone doesn't clear the plots before each recording. I found it easier to compare previous to new one capture this way. Just like echoic memory, there's a limited-time visual memory in play here :) I can clear the plots when the recording starts, if you think that would help.

Regards,

-Paul

OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Will it be possible to analyze a WAV file or only signals from the ADC?

For WAV file analysis consider my DeltaWave software. Multitone, as the name implies, is designed to test with specific set of tone test signals. In order to compute distortions, it must know the exact frequency (FFT bins) of the original signal.

OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Multitone version 1.0.2 is available with some suggested improvements and fixes.

Changes in 1.0.2

• Fixed an occasional crash when using a single ASIO device
    -- Still not working with both in/out devices set to the same ASIO driver
  • Added the option to turn on or off distortions and signal in spectrum and wave plots
  • Added option to display spectrum results in dBr relative to maximum amplitude frequency
  • Added an auto-update option to prompt when new versions of Multitone are released
  • Added Multitone 32 (AP) test signal to reproduce AudioPrecision 32 tone test
@MC_RME -- please check when using MADIface ASIO driver.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Checking or unchecking show 1 or show 2 does not do anything in Spectrum mode. Only see the blue line. In waveform it works. In Frequency response I'm getting a blank screen no matter what is checked.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Switch away from the frequency response plot, that only has a single line, so there’s no reason to hide/unhide it.
Initially FR wasn't showing anything after a test run. Just a gray space. I switched from one version of WASAPI to another on the output side and it now appears to be working. This is still with a BabyFace Pro FS in loopback.

OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Initially FR wasn't showing anything after a test run. Just a gray space. I switched from one version of WASAPI to another on the output side and it now appears to be working. This is still with a BabyFace Pro FS in loopback.

Let me know if this happens again. I’d like to see if there’s something specific to this unit or the driver that’s causing this.

Hee

Thank you. Pkane. I've tried.
However, It looks like a picture of a task manager. After that, nothing is implemented.

I am Windows 10 64bit and I was the same in all three computers.
Let me know if I missed anything.
Should I install visual c++ or framework?

Attachments

• 121.jpg
    121.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 83
OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you. Pkane. I've tried.
However, It looks like a picture of a task manager. After that, nothing is implemented.

I am Windows 10 64bit and I was the same in all three computers.
Let me know if I missed anything.
Should I install visual c++ or framework?

it looks like the installer isn’t completing installation. It finishes configuration the first time you run the app. Can you terminate the process and see if you can start it “as Administrator”? Also try to reboot the computer once.

Hee

Administrator authority, compatibility check, reboot.
It's all the same.
Your other program runs well.

Hee

Framework 4.8 is already installed. I couldn't erase it, so repaired it and it's still the same.
I'm really sorry. Is there a version without installation?

Yes = Installation completed.
No = Not installed.

Attachments

• 111.jpg
    111.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
The frequency response plot button doesn't work on some multitone tests I have done. Just blank.

Also, is there a way to scale/autoscale the plot in vertical or horizontal? I see you can grab it a move up/down L/R.

The dBFS level also changes massively with the ASIO (Focusrite 2i2v2) sample rate, all other things being equal. Even with the maximum FFT size, there's still a ~12dB difference is computed level with different sampling frequencies within the 20-20kHz bandwidth.
@44.1kHz, -17.6dBFS
@48kHz, -9.1dBFS
won't do 88.2 or 96kHz, get this message, but then it will work after that with 88.2kHz
1636249956458.png

Then it crashes completely. Have to kill it via task-manager.

It's got awesome potential. I hope we can help you iron out the little bugs.

Edit: The ARTA multitone varies 1.8dB in computed absolute level from 44.1kHz through to 192kHz sample rate.

Attachments

• 1636250758129.png
    1636250758129.png
    28.2 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Top Bottom