• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Beta Test: Multitone Loopback Analyzer software

Rantapossu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
How about this one:

- Always remember the state of the aspect ratio lock
- When the user opens the window with a locked aspect ratio, the default scaler activates and scales the capture by user's previously set factor (For example 3.5 times of the screen graph).
- When the user opens the window with an unlocked aspect ratio, MT remembers the last manual settings of the width and height.
- When the window is now open (With previously saved width and height settings) and the user presses the aspect ratio lock button to activate it, the default scaler activates and scales the capture by user's previously set factor and updates the width and height values on the screen.

Last edited:

MC_RME

Technical Expert
Audio Company
New official version of Multitone, v1.0.71 is available. This incorporates all the changes in preview versions since 1.0.67, and adds a few new features and changes (highlighted in red):

Changes in 1.0.71

• Add: support for phase specification in test signal format (for example, 1kHz@90)
  • Add: ability to unlock aspect ratio when copying plot to clipboard or saving to file
  • Add: measurement bandwidth controls (low/high) under Measurement settings to separate measurement from display bandwidths
  • Change: better labels selection for linear frequency axis
  • Change: add a significant digit to frequency axis labels
  • Change: bandwidth selector changed to work consistently across all chart types
  • Change: allow mixing of different sampling rates and FFT sizes from history on the same plot
  • Change: multitone IMD calculation switched to using CCIF method. Previously the default was SMPTE
  • Change: new property section created ‘Device’, with in/out device settings moved to it from Test Signal
  • Change: number tracker display always uses black text on light blue background now, regardless of contrast setting
  • Fix: certain test signals exceeding 0dBFS previously would result in a missing fundamental, now clipped to 0dBFS
  • Fix: IMD, Noise, SNR calculations didn’t work correctly with variable amplitude multitones (e.g., FM signals)
1.071 is the most impressive Multitone so far. It already exceeds anything I would ever thought this tool could do. And it seems Paul will continue to chase his own tail by releasing many more versions...

The immediate feedback with small bugs (already fixed) should not keep anyone away from trying MT. It is absolutely phantastic. Quote me if you like...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Rantapossu

There's a minor bug with the scaling factor value of the capture, the changed value of the variable is not saved unless the "Copy to clipboard" -button is pressed before closing the window. It reverts to the old value if you just change the factor, close the window and open it again.

1675397363810.png

Works ok when changing the value on the main settings window though.

OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
1.071 is the most impressive Multitone so far. It already exceeds anything I would ever thought this tool could do. And it seems Paul will continue to chase his own tail by releasing many more versions...

The immediate feedback with small bugs (already fixed) should not keep anyone away from trying MT. It is absolutely phantastic. Quote me if you like...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you, Matthias! And yes, I'm absolutely going to continue to chase my own tail ;) ;) ;)

pma

Major Contributor
Hi Paul,
Just installed - looks good! I need to get some practice, so I will save my questions and ask them if I do not find answers myself ;).

pkmulti_3rd_TIM.png

OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi Paul,
Just installed - looks good! I need to get some practice, so I will save my questions and ask them if I do not find answers myself ;).

View attachment 262034

Sound good, Pavel! The documentation on the website is a bit out of date, but mostly accurate (may just be missing some of the newer features), so ask if you can't find something.

Reactions: pma

pma

Major Contributor
Sound good, Pavel! The documentation on the website is a bit out of date, but mostly accurate (may just be missing some of the newer features), so ask if you can't find something.
Hi Paul, I have just posted a thread with "Multitone sample test review" here:

I was very happy with testing, the only wish would be to have an option of X-axis calibrated in [V] and [W] for level sweeps, but maybe I only was not able to find out how to do it.

OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi Paul, I have just posted a thread with "Multitone sample test review" here:

I was very happy with testing, the only wish would be to have an option of X-axis calibrated in [V] and [W] for level sweeps, but maybe I only was not able to find out how to do it.
Hi Pavel, thanks for the testing and reporting! Looks like the sweep should but doesn't have that option yet. I'll add it. Don't know how I missed it :)

pma

Major Contributor
Hi Pavel, thanks for the testing and reporting! Looks like the sweep should but doesn't have that option yet. I'll add it. Don't know how I missed it :)
That would be great! You have done a great job and a lot of work, this is just a step by step improving.

OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Making some changes based on issues reported by @pma with CCIF IMD calculation:

https://app.box.com/s/ue7ll9xmvwogst817x2l1xg09opvgy47

This is a preview version for testing, not a release. Please ignore any messages about updating to the official version (1.0.71) since that one is older. v1.0.72 should fix the following:
  • CCIF-based IMD calculation was off by 6dB, as well as SFDR for multitones
  • TIM tests are now defaulting to using the second (sine) frequency tone as the reference
  • State of the aspect-ratio lock and dimensions are now remembered in the plot copy/save dialog
  • Min Frequency setting removed (always set to 0 now)

Rantapossu

Would it be too hard to impement a "Restore the scale" -functionality when clicking the "Fit all data" -button with a right mouse button?

It could be like this:

Left click:
1675655559289.png

( All data is shown )

1675655528905.png

Right click :
1675655506487.png

( It's back to 20 Hz to 20 kHz, as set. If the graph is zoomed, it would restore the default zooming too. The view would be just like after a fresh measurement. )

1675655616035.png

Pressing the
1675655703137.png

button does it too, but it processes the data and it can take over 30 seconds to do it with a large number of averages and large FFTs for me. It doesn't revert the zooming as well.

It seems to be doable without processing, because when you do the following sequence...

1675655824643.png

1675656167930.png

1675655852906.png

... MT instantly restores the default scaling you have set before. It doesn't revert all the zooming you have made though. Reverting the zoom you'll have to press "Fit all Data" -button first.

Clicking the "Fit all data" -button with a right mouse button would streamline this process a little...

Last edited:
OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Would it be too hard to impement a "Restore the scale" -functionality when clicking the "Fit all data" -button with a right mouse button?

It could be like this:

Left click: View attachment 262702

( All data is shown )

View attachment 262700

Right click :View attachment 262699

( It's back to 20 Hz to 20 kHz, as set. If the graph is zoomed, it would restore the default zooming too. The view would be just like after a fresh measurement. )

View attachment 262703

Pressing the
View attachment 262705
button does it too, but it processes the data and it can take over 30 seconds to do it with a large number of averages and large FFTs for me. It doesn't revert the zooming as well.

It seems to be doable without processing, because when you do the following sequence...

View attachment 262708

View attachment 262711

View attachment 262709

... MT instantly restores the default scaling you have set before. It doesn't revert all the zooming you have made though. Reverting the zoom you'll have to press "Fit all Data" -button first.

Clicking the "Fit all data" -button with a right mouse button would streamline this process a little...

I've been planning to add a history of zoom/position settings with an 'undo/redo' buttons. This way you can go back even a few steps, if you were looking at something at an extreme magnification, but now want to get back to some previous state. Would that work?

Rantapossu

I've been planning to add a history of zoom/position settings with an 'undo/redo' buttons. This way you can go back even a few steps, if you were looking at something at an extreme magnification, but now want to get back to some previous state. Would that work?

That would be very useful!

In the meantime I noticed that there is a "Reset" -button on the Zoom Spectrum -window...

1675688672731.png

...which actually does what I asked, but it contains a little bug: It doesn't work anymore, if you press the "Apply!" -button and close the window. If you open the Zoom Spectrum window again, the "Reset" -button doesn't work any more (At least it doesn't give the initial scaling back).

The only sequence that I have found, that brings back the original scaling every time, is this:

1675688877297.png

1675655824643.png

1675656167930.png

1675655852906.png

... but it's not very handy.

If there's a bug on the "Reset" -button and you fix it, could you implement the same functionality to the "Fit all Data" -button when pressing the right mouse button?

(So that every time you click the "Fit all Data" with right mouse button, it brings the scaling of the fresh measurement without processing and without the need of opening the scaling window, pressing the reset button and closing the scaling window.)

OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That would be very useful!

In the meantime I noticed that there is a "Reset" -button on the Zoom Spectrum -window...

View attachment 262807
...which actually does what I asked, but it contains a little bug: It doesn't work anymore, if you press the "Apply!" -button and close the window. If you open the Zoom Spectrum window again, the "Reset" -button doesn't work any more (At least it doesn't give the initial scaling back).

The only sequence that I have found, that brings back the original scaling every time, is this:

View attachment 262808

1675655824643.png

1675656167930.png

1675655852906.png

... but it's not very handy.

If there's a bug on the "Reset" -button and you fix it, could you implement the same functionality to the "Fit all Data" -button when pressing the right mouse button?

(So that every time you click the "Fit all Data" with right mouse button, it brings the scaling of the fresh measurement without processing and without the need of opening the scaling window, pressing the reset button and closing the scaling window.)

A somewhat weird work-around is to use the zoom window. You can bring up multiple instances of it. Use these as a place holder of a desired zoom level since it remembers the settings as of the time you display it. When you need to go back to a specific zoom, just go back to that zoom window and press Apply. Not that this is the most obvious or the most convenient way to do it, but it does work ;)

Rantapossu

A somewhat weird work-around is to use the zoom window. You can bring up multiple instances of it. Use these as a place holder of a desired zoom level since it remembers the settings as of the time you display it. When you need to go back to a specific zoom, just go back to that zoom window and press Apply. Not that this is the most obvious or the most convenient way to do it, but it does work ;)

Well, that's one solution ;)

Unfortunately there's so little space on my 1366x768 laptop screen that keeping other windows open isn't very convenient...

So the "Reset" -button is designed to bring back the zoom state of the last opening of the Zoom window and not to reset to the initial zoom settings of the fresh measurement? And it's not a bug?

OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, that's one solution ;)

Unfortunately there's so little space on my 1366x768 laptop screen that keeping other windows open isn't very convenient...

So the "Reset" -button is designed to bring back the zoom state of the last opening of the Zoom window and not to reset to the initial zoom settings of the fresh measurement? And it's not a bug?

Reset is meant to undo the changes made since the zoom window was brought up, and not to some initial state. Is that what you're asking?

Rantapossu

Reset is meant to undo the changes made since the zoom window was brought up, and not to some initial state. Is that what you're asking?

Yup, that's what I asked. I wanted to be sure that there's no bug involved.

Moto

I know this is off the debug focus, but is there consensus as to when the aes17 notch should be used? Thx

Top Bottom