• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Beta Test: Multitone Loopback Analyzer software

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
This is what I have to deal with... Do you think I need an audiophile AC cord to help me?
View attachment 233476

View attachment 233477
That isn't an uncommon looking result for 60 hz. I actually haven't checked the one where I currently live. I know where I last lived I was very surprised it was a clean very nice sine wave on an oscope. Makes you respect how much your PS cleans things up doesn't it. Even without the audiophile power cord or the box of grounding dirt magic.

OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That isn't an uncommon looking result for 60 hz. I actually haven't checked the one where I currently live. I know where I last lived I was very surprised it was a clean very nice sine wave on an oscope. Makes you respect how much your PS cleans things up doesn't it. Even without the audiophile power cord or the box of grounding dirt magic.
I'm certain a $4k AC cord will help :facepalm: I'll need to do some testing with my "true sine-wave" UPS, as well as, the PS Audio regenerator and a simple RF line filter. Don't have any grounding boxes to test, unfortunately ;)

Rantapossu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Alrighty then... Let's give it one more college try before I decide to completely rip out the History feature ;)

https://app.box.com/s/qbrh3czrvudclkqs9n8lm806k3hzmjx5

I changed the behavior slightly (double click now only works on the description or time columns, since these are not editable, the other columns do whatever they'd normally do if you click on them twice).

Thanks again!

Now you nailed it !!! :cool:

The initial measurement:

1664246631707.png

Double clicked and selected from the history:

1664246736509.png

Exported, deleted, MT closed, imported, selected and color changed:
1664247012873.png

And how lucky were we that this was just the last chance before the entire "History" -feature would be removed? Phew! ;)

There's no more unwanted chart selection too when clicking around the history.

I'll propose a raise for you... :cool:

Sokel

Master Contributor
Thanks again!

Now you nailed it !!! :cool:

The initial measurement:

View attachment 233495

Double clicked and selected from the history:

View attachment 233496

Exported, deleted, MT closed, imported, selected and color changed:
View attachment 233497

And how lucky were we that this was just the last chance before the entire "History" -feature would be removed? Phew! ;)

There's no more unwanted chart selection too when clicking around the history.

I'll propose a raise for you... :cool:
Double raise so he can get his 10K$ power cord,regenerators and those Jin (or something like this,it's been years they trended) little bells for the very last harmonics

Sokel

Master Contributor
Did anything change in the THD+N calculations?
Until yesterday I was getting -96db at most for lows in the Xover i mess with,today with the new version:

low.PNG

(the spike at 50Hz is because first I need a XXXX$ cable and second because the PSU I made is not LM7815-7915 but double 7815 the DIY ancient way :p )

Sokel

Master Contributor
(the spike at 50Hz is because first I need a XXXX$ cable and second because the PSU I made is not LM7815-7915 but double 7815 the DIY ancient way :p )
...but nothing a nice little WIMA can't solve:

WIMA.PNG

Last edited:

Sokel

Master Contributor
There some strange messages appear when recording with both channels,something about "out of index".

OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Updating the released version of Multitone to the latest, v1.0.50. This is the same as the preview version of 1.0.50 with the addition of a small cosmetic change to correct the units displayed in the labels on the sweep plots.

Changes in 1.0.50

• Add: support for dBV, dBW, V, and W display units with Amplitude Voltage (FS) and Resistance calibration settings
  • Add: support for creating custom Frequency-Modulated (FM) test signals and adding a couple of FM test signals to the drop-down list
  • Add: during measurement you can switch to the Waveform plot to see a live preview of the waveform being captured
  • Fix: reprocessed data from history entry didn’t quite match the original measurements due to lower number of averages
  • Fix: history click/unclick sometimes selected the previous entry even when the checkbox was not clicked
  • Fix: color selection dropdown in history sometimes required two clicks
  • Fix: switching to Spectrum plot after a sweep, but with the sweep still selected, and then performing a measurement would do a spectrum analysis instead of the sweep
FM test signals are specified by entering FM at the start of the line, followed by three numbers: the carrier frequency (Fc), the modulation frequency (Fm), and the frequency deviation of the modulating frequency:

FM 1k/200Hz/900Hz
FM 3k/50Hz/10k

Last edited:

Sokel

Master Contributor
Updating the released version of Multitone to the latest, v1.0.50. This is the same as the preview version of 1.0.50 with the addition of a small cosmetic change to correct the units displayed in the labels on the sweep plots.

Changes in 1.0.50

• Add: support for dBV, dBW, V, and W display units with Amplitude Voltage (FS) and Resistance calibration settings
  • Add: support for creating custom Frequency-Modulated (FM) test signals and adding a couple of FM test signals to the drop-down list
  • Fix: reprocessed data from history entry didn’t quite match the original measurements due to lower number of averages
  • Fix: history click/unclick sometimes selected the previous entry even when the checkbox was not clicked
  • Fix: color selection dropdown in history sometimes required two clicks
  • Fix: switching to Spectrum plot after a sweep, but with the sweep still selected, and then performing a measurement would do a spectrum analysis instead of the sweep
FM test signals are specified by entering FM at the start of the line, followed by three numbers: the carrier frequency (Fc), the modulation frequency (Fm), and the frequency deviation of the modulating frequency:

FM 1k/200Hz/900Hz
FM 3k/50Hz/10k
You forgot the live waveform.

Moto

Paul, I have a question about the way some measurements appear. I am on 1.0.50.
In one case I do a frequency sweep from 20-20000. After trying this several times I end up with a jump at the end to a worse thd+n.
When I try it from 19-20k, it is flat. I repeated these a few times.

Attachments

• 19-20k.jpg
    19-20k.jpg
    307.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 10-20k.jpg
    10-20k.jpg
    306 KB · Views: 35
OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Paul, I have a question about the way some measurements appear. I am on 1.0.50.
In one case I do a frequency sweep from 20-20000. After trying this several times I end up with a jump at the end to a worse thd+n.
When I try it from 19-20k, it is flat. I repeated these a few times.

I think you might want to set the measurement bandwidth to include more than 20k (your setting now is 20-20kHz), say make it 20-24k. At the end, when you get a jump, just switch to the spectrum tab to see what it looks like. It'll show the last measurement, including any distortions and calculated values and what part was measured due to your bandwidth constraints. You can even observe each sweep point being measured if you switch to the Spectrum tab early, during a sweep.

Last edited:

Moto

how do I interpret this?

Attachments

• 20-24k.jpg
    20-24k.jpg
    388.1 KB · Views: 36
OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
how do I interpret this?

RMS level dropped a few dB's for some reason around 18-19k? Look at the Spectrum plot to see if something strange is happening at those frequencies. You can always run just the spectrum plot (not a sweep) for that frequency a few times to see if something strange occurs once in a while.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
With version 1.50 it seems like the graph is getting cut off beyond my 20-20 range. Is there something that prevents me from seeing the whole spectrum? While it's measuring and averaging, I see everything.

*** Edit ***
it only happens when I am recording in stereo as opposed to mono

1664571105776.png

1664571124947.png

OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
With version 1.50 it seems like the graph is getting cut off beyond my 20-20 range. Is there something that prevents me from seeing the whole spectrum? While it's measuring and averaging, I see everything.

*** Edit ***
it only happens when I am recording in stereo as opposed to mono

View attachment 234168

View attachment 234169

Yes, that seems inconsistent. The recorded results for stereo should be displayed full range. Only the measured noise+distortions (when using one channel) should be restricted to the measurement bandwidth. I'll change this.

Moto

RMS level dropped a few dB's for some reason around 18-19k? Look at the Spectrum plot to see if something strange is happening at those frequencies. You can always run just the spectrum plot (not a sweep) for that frequency a few times to see if something strange occurs once in a while.
But the graph is showing rms level at -90 something and thd+ n around 0. that doesnt make sense.

Top Bottom