• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Beta Test: Multitone Loopback Analyzer software

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Just checked on Windows 11, seems to work for me. I did have to go through a bunch of sound card settings in Windows to make sure the correct bits/sampling rates are set up.
I'll give it more tests tomorrow. The sound card setup on the other computer where I originally tried the analyzer is completely different from what I have here.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
What device and device driver are you using? I'm installing Windows 11 right now, and will check a bit later.
I have both a Focusrite Pro40 interface and/or a SMSL M400 for output and a MiniDSP UMK-1 mic. The other computer has the stock Realtek sound on the motherboard.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Just checked on Windows 11, seems to work for me. I did have to go through a bunch of sound card settings in Windows to make sure the correct bits/sampling rates are set up.
OK I tried using my Focusrite Saffire Pro40 interface. I set the software for ASIO for both input/output. The minute I hit the red record button - instant Black Screen Of Death. :facepalm:o_O:eek:

I rebooted the computer and tried again - another instant Black Screen Of Death. UGH.......

OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OK I tried using my Focusrite Saffire Pro40 interface. I set the software for ASIO for both input/output. The minute I hit the red record button - instant Black Screen Of Death. :facepalm:o_O:eek:

I rebooted the computer and tried again - another instant Black Screen Of Death. UGH.......

that’s the driver doing that. Apps don’t have the access needed to crash Windows.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
that’s the driver doing that. Apps don’t have the access needed to crash Windows.
I just did the same test using the same interface with ASIO with REW. It worked normally.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
At least not if Windows version isn’t buggy.
Windows has always been a giant cockroach of a bug, so I wouldn't be surprised.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The Focusrite only works with ASIO.

[EDIT: ASIO support is NOT broken in 1.0.9, it was a misconfiguration on my PC that made it appear so!] ASIO support is broken in 1.0.9 -- what I get when using ASIO is a signal that always appears to be clipping, regardless of the gain setting. I'll fix this ASAP, but this should not cause a Windows crash under any circumstances :confused:

Last edited:

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
ASIO support is broken in 1.0.9 -- what I get when using ASIO is a signal that always appears to be clipping, regardless of the gain setting. I'll fix this ASAP, but this should not cause a Windows crash under any circumstances :confused:
I tried it on my other computer this morning using WASAPI and it seems to work OK.

Regarding ASIO, could the broken support in 1.0.9 be causing the ASIO driver to try to do things which are unnatural to its existence and against its morals, and this provokes a BSOD? Like I mentioned last night, REW works fine with the ASIO driver for the Focusrite, and I subsequently tried it with TrueRTA on the same computer and that also works normally.

At any rate, Multitone Analyzer seems to be a nifty and useful bit of software which will become part of my workshop kit.

Could I request that you create a keyboard shortcut for the record button?

Last edited:
OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I tried it on my other computer this morning using WASAPI and it seems to work OK.

Regarding ASIO, could the broken support in 1.0.9 be causing the ASIO driver to try to do things which are unnatural to its existence and against its morals, and this provokes a BSOD? Like I mentioned last night, REW works fine with the ASIO driver for the Focusrite, and I subsequently tried it with TrueRTA on the same computer and that also works normally.

At any rate, Multitone Analyzer seems to be a nifty and useful bit of software which will become part of my workshop kit.

Anything's possible. I can't imagine what would cause a Windows crash, other than a bug in Windows or in the driver. But it is possibly something that Multitone is doing in this version that exposes the bug :)

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Anything's possible. I can't imagine what would cause a Windows crash, other than a bug in Windows or in the driver. But it is possibly something that Multitone is doing in this version that exposes the bug :)
Do averages work in this release?

OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

I take it back: ASIO is working as before in v1.0.9. I had some misconfiguration issues with FlexASIO on my computer: apparently it doesn't like to have exclusive access on my Windows VM. Configured for shared access, ASIO is working for both, input and output. Averages also work (5 averages of 1kHz tone into ADI-2 Pro FS below, using ASIO for both in and out):

1638850459539.png

Here's what it looks like with exclusive access given to FlexASIO :eek::

1638850572356.png

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I take it back: ASIO is working as before in v1.0.9. I had some misconfiguration issues with FlexASIO on my computer: apparently it doesn't like to have exclusive access on my Windows VM. Configured for shared access, ASIO is working for both, input and output. Averages also work (5 averages of 1kHz tone into ADI-2 Pro FS below, using ASIO for both in and out):

View attachment 170769

Here's what it looks like with exclusive access given to FlexASIO :eek::

View attachment 170770
I was wondering as ASIO seemed to work for me, but I planned on trying it out to make sure. Didn't get around to it as it has been a busy week. It seemed to work for both an RME BF Pro FS and Antelope Audio Zen Tour.

OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Newsflash: Multitone does work on Linux! :)

I received another PM asking me to see if it can be made to work. After fighting pulseaudio and Wine compatibility issues on both, Ubuntu and Manjaro, I finally settled on using alsa. Multitone version 1.0.9 may require a small change due to a missing function on Linux that causes an error, so a new version v1.0.10 will be published in just a bit.

Here's a demo of Multitone running with alsa on Ubuntu and Wine:

If there's interest, I'll post some of the details on how I made it work, but the proof is in the pudding: Multitone does run on Linux!

Last edited:
Top Bottom