• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Beta Test: Earful -- a hearing test App

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What bloatware? The installer is only 2.5MB, and includes all the software that it needs, and all of these are internally used libraries. There's no other software installed. Here's what's installed, in total, 3.15MB:

View attachment 111907

Yeah I just don't think an installer is necessary, but i'm just being a dick about it. pay me no mind :p

OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah I just don't think an installer is necessary, but i'm just being a dick about it. pay me no mind :p

Realize that installer does more than just copies files. It makes sure all components and dependencies are there, registers with Windows so you can uninstall/repair/upgrade it through control panel, and ensures that all components can be found when running the software. Without an installer, the software would be a real pain to set up, update, and uninstall, believe me :)

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Realize that installer does more than just copies files. It makes sure all components and dependencies are there, registers with Windows so you can uninstall/repair/upgrade it through control panel, and ensures that all components can be found when running the software. Without an installer, the software would be a real pain to set up, update, and uninstall, believe me :)

Thank you for explaining, I just finished doing both ears at the same time and I'm not sure how to interpret this (ignore the 20k data point, i couldn't hear anything at it).

1613052125043.png

OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you for explaining, I just finished doing both ears at the same time and I'm not sure how to interpret this (ignore the 20k data point, i couldn't hear anything at it).

View attachment 111914

Interpretation is fairly straightforward: at 100Hz your hearing is less sensitive by about 30dB than at 2KHz.

At 60Hz, it's about 40dB lower than at 2KHz.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Interpretation is fairly straightforward: at 100Hz your hearing is less sensitive by about 30dB than at 2KHz.

At 60Hz, it's about 40dB lower than at 2KHz.

Do you think that this method can be used to accurately determine ear specific imbalances?

OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What would the EQ strategy would be after i get the results?

That depends on what you're trying to do. Earful just measures your threshold of hearing and lets you measure your personal equal loudness curves. How you translate that into an EQ correction is not part of the software.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That depends on what you're trying to do. Earful just measures your threshold of hearing and lets you measure your personal equal loudness curves. How you translate that into an EQ correction is not part of the software.

I understand, can i import the results to REW and apply them to a flat frequency response?

jae

Major Contributor
Anyone else getting the warning nag after running each time? Also my settings (freq range, steps, vol etc) do not stick after closing. Although this may also be related to the same problem of being nagged every time.

View attachment 111914

Was this a threshold test? Perhaps your transducers have no low end or you have a characteristic sloping low range hearing loss? Best to check with each ear individually and also ask another person to test with the same setup.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyone else getting the warning nag after running each time? Also my settings (freq range, steps, vol etc) do not stick after closing. Although this may also be related to the same problem of being nagged every time.

Was this a threshold test? Perhaps your transducers have no low end or you have a characteristic sloping low range hearing loss? Best to check with each ear individually and also ask another person to test with the same setup.

yes it was the threshold test, I make sure that i hear every tone uninterrupted twice in a row at my threshold, so it's a tough criteria. Otherwise it could be my brain making me hear things I'm not actually hearing.

at 20 Hz it's basically pressure on your ear drums that you're feeling, so i had to feel that pressure consistently twice in a row. Wasn't easy, but i think it's quite accurate.

OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Sounds like Earful can't write the settings to a folder. The files should be saved/updated here: C:\ProgramData\Earful

Try opening the folder to see if there's some permission issue. The settings file is earful.settings. See if you can edit it or rename it -- this will tell you if there are some permission issues on the file itself.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sure. Just save the measurements as a file. You can then import it directly into REW as a frequency response.

I can incorporate the measurements as a target curve, which is great. But how can I put a 'dummy' flat measurment to generate filters based on the measurments?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Also I'm surprised that you're shocked by this, it's kinda pretty common.

1613057940488.png

OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I can incorporate the measurements as a target curve, which is great. But how can I put a 'dummy' flat measurment to generate filters based on the measurments?

You'll need to have a room curve file created for the desired "flat" response and then select it in REW. Are you looking for just a horizontal flat line response, or a Harman headphone target, or something else?

jae

Major Contributor
I completely uninstalled (removing the program data folder) and now receiving this error upon closing I was not getting before. Now sure what would cause it as all my other applications have no issues with permissions to any folder. No AV or any software that would interfere either

OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

That's a file access permission problem, and that's exactly why your settings are never saved. Somehow you don't have access to write to the Earful folder under ProgramData. Open C:\ProgramData in Windows Explorer, select Earful folder, and delete it. Then re-install Earful.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You'll need to have a room curve file created for the desired "flat" response and then select it in REW. Are you looking for just a horizontal flat line response, or a Harman headphone target, or something else?

my headphones (with EQ) matches Harman's target by 90%, so i would just like to generate filters (on top of the already existing EQ) to accommodate for my equal loudness results.

Top Bottom