• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Beta Test: DISTORT - audibility of distortions

audiofun

OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
any headphone amp with dc protection.

Here is a test version to see if your DC issue is resolved. Please download and install version 1.0.21 (not officially released yet):

https://distortaudio.org/DistortSetup21.zip

There are some big differences in how the screen is laid out, all the distortion-related settings are now on the left, in a table. The one that controls DC is DC Removal = On or Off. To clear all settings (probably a good idea the first time you use this version) press the red X above the table:

1653607444584.png

Please try this out and let me know if it helps.

Note: the old version you were using also removed DC, but only when saving the distorted file to disk, not when playing it directly from DISTORT.

Last edited:
OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Here is a test version to see if your DC issue is resolved. Please download and install version 1.0.21 (not officially released yet):

https://distortaudio.org/DistortSetup21.zip

There are some big differences in how the screen is laid out, all the distortion-related settings are now on the left, in a table. The one that controls DC is DC Removal = On or Off. To clear all settings (probably a good idea the first time you use this version) press the red X above the table:

View attachment 209149

Please try this out and let me know if it helps.

Note: the old version you were using also removed DC, but only when saving the distorted file to disk, not when playing it directly from DISTORT.

Here's the before and after example with 32 tone multi-tone test signal in version 1.0.21. As I said, DC was already removed properly for saved WAV files in the previous versions of DISTORT. Only playing the distorted waveform from inside the app could result in significant DC, which is now corrected with the DC Removal setting.

Before (DC Removal turned off):
1653653270408.png

After (DC Removal turned on):
1653653329552.png

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe if you raise the price you can compete with SETs ;)

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm planning a 100x price increase in the near future ;)
Make it draw tremendous power and wear out frequently, and you have something!

OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Are there plans to implement the GedLee Metric into the Multitone Analyzer test app?
Probably the wrong thread for Multitone questions :) Are there any examples where the application of GedLee metric actually produced a useful result (outside of the original papers)?

bbizzle

This is such a cool program and exactly what i've been looking for. When I import my own wav files though, they play back in mono even though its set to "Stereo". Any idea what might be going on? It will export the distorted file as a stereo file which plays back correctly in another player.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    338.7 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This is such a cool program and exactly what i've been looking for. When I import my own wav files though, they play back in mono even though its set to "Stereo". Any idea what might be going on? It will export the distorted file as a stereo file which plays back correctly in another player.
Same file is played back in DISTORT that is saved to disk, so other than some non-standard output driver channel mapping, I can't imagine why it wouldn't play stereo.

Top Bottom