• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Beta-test: DeltaWave Null Comparison software

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
As someone who, after coding successfully for the early Macintosh GUI, but who couldn't figure out which end of the spaghetti was which when looking at Windows calls (and gave up), I'm curious what tools you are using to write the code for this little experiment?

OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
As someone who, after coding successfully for the early Macintosh GUI, but who couldn't figure out which end of the spaghetti was which when looking at Windows calls (and gave up), I'm curious what tools you are using to write the code for this little experiment?

Using C# as the language, .NET as the runtime framework.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I've found no problems in the current version. Seems to work well. The extra tabs are very nice....thanks!

I have a feature request which perhaps was asked about earlier. I suppose the Report cruncher sort of does this. Maybe you could explain it further if it fits my request. I'd like to be able to compare one file with the reference, and keep all the results on screen, and then run a second compare file so the results of both could be on screen at the same time to see differences side by side. Maybe a space called Compare 2. So one Reference and two Compares on screen at one time.

OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've found no problems in the current version. Seems to work well. The extra tabs are very nice....thanks!

I have a feature request which perhaps was asked about earlier. I suppose the Report cruncher sort of does this. Maybe you could explain it further if it fits my request. I'd like to be able to compare one file with the reference, and keep all the results on screen, and then run a second compare file so the results of both could be on screen at the same time to see differences side by side. Maybe a space called Compare 2. So one Reference and two Compares on screen at one time.

Well, you can definitely do this with report cruncher. You can also run DeltaWave more than once, assuming there’s enough memory to do so. I’ll post some more details about the reporting feature a bit later.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
You can also run DeltaWave more than once

That's a useful feature, and appears to work just fine.

1556248486168.png

I remember running some Microsoft Office program (Excel?) on my late 80s Macintosh. Couldn't do work and see the help file at the same time, so I copied and renamed the application to get two instances running, to assist me with the use of some oddball functions.

Soon, the hard disk made a noise and the Mac crashed.

I said "Huh..."

Restarted it, didn't note any corruptions, and proceeded to open two instances again. The hard disk made a worse noise and the Mac locked up.

I said "Huh..."

Unfortunately, that was the utter end of that hard disk.

Power on, clunk.

Coincidence? I dunno. Didn't try it again.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, you can definitely do this with report cruncher. You can also run DeltaWave more than once, assuming there’s enough memory to do so. I’ll post some more details about the reporting feature a bit later.
Yes, running two instances at once is how I've been handling it.

I've messed with the report cruncher much earlier. Probably just need to delve into how that works for now.

OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
DeltaWave version 1.0.27b is now available

The following changes are in the new version:
  • Added upsample/downsample rate selection in settings
  • Pressing play button next to any other file while one is playing will start playing the new file where the previous one left off
  • Improved stability of FFT calculations to eliminate tiny differences in the least significant digits of double-precision numbers
  • Added a list of 20 recently used files to the File menu
  • Changed the unlock axis button to remember a separate zoom level for each of the charts
  • Fixed the issue with chart zoom reset when using the Manual Adjustments tool
  • Fixed offset value set to zero when using Cached data for the first time in Manual Adjustment tool
  • Improved the accuracy of cross-correlation computation in the presence of a large clock drift
  • Fixed the condition for prompting to use alternate drift correction algorithm when using higher resolution sampling rates
All issues, suggestions and comments are welcome, as always!

OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
DeltaWave 1.0.28 is now available with some fixes and enhancements:
  • Fixed trim calculation to allow at least 5 seconds of mismatch at the file start (previous version reduced this to 1 sec)
  • Fixed resampling option from Manual Adjustment window when caching is enabled
  • Added the number of clipped samples indicator and Correct Clipping process menu option to rescale to 0dBFS or less

OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Version 1.0.31b is now available for download with the following changes:
  • Fixed spectrum plot oscillations after a sharp filter
  • Fixed incorrect offset being calculated with some hires files
  • Added Comparison file name to the list of recently used
  • Fixed volume setting not being remembered when switching between Ref/Comp/Delta files

I'm working on a few additions for the next release:
  • Improve manual adjustment window to make sure the processing matches the main window results
  • Process synthetic/repeating waveforms for measurement purposes. I've found what I think is a solution, but need to implement and test it
  • Work on a better notch filter implementation, the one I have implemented has a fairly low level of rejection

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
That's a lot of work!

Or play...

"Work consists of whatever a body is obliged to do, and that Play consists of whatever a body is not obliged to do." - Mark Twain

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That's a lot of work!

Or play...

"Work consists of whatever a body is obliged to do, and that Play consists of whatever a body is not obliged to do." - Mark Twain
What is worse is he did all the recent fixes during a holiday. In like one day. The current version seems really good.

OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

There appears to be an extra sample added in the FLAC files compared to WAV. I assume that's causing the difference. I'll take a look to see if the file readers for these two formats cause a mismatch in the number of samples.

OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Looks like the audio library I'm using isn't handling reading FLAC compression properly in the presence of zero samples. Seems that some samples are repeated over and over again if there is a long sequence of zero samples in the original file. Here's an example from your two files, white is WAV and blue is FLAC. Notice the same repeating pattern in FLAC that is not there in WAV or in the original track, almost like an echo:

1561817470042.png

Just tried to update to the latest version of the library, but the problem persists. Very unhappy! I'll figure out a way to fix this, thanks for reporting!

Last edited:
OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you using ffmpeg?

Naudio.Flac. Tried different ways to read FLAC that are available in this library but all produce the same echo effect in the presence of zero-value samples. The effect is different depending on the level of compression, but is always there.

Last edited:

Pluto

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
How compatible is your work with the DLL version of ffmpeg? I ask because the audio handling of ffmpeg is, more or less, "industry standard" when it comes to transcoding and so forth.

How responsive are the Naudio devs when confronted with your kind of issue? You could always dive into the source code and endeavour to find the problem :eek:

OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
How compatible is your work with the DLL version of ffmpeg? I ask because the audio handling of ffmpeg is, more or less, "industry standard" when it comes to transcoding and so forth.

How responsive are the Naudio devs when confronted with your kind of issue? You could always dive into the source code and endeavour to find the problem :eek:

Naudio.FLAC project appears to be mostly abandoned, no updates since 2014. I'll see if I can fix it. If not I'll need to switch to another library.

Top Bottom