• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Beta-test: DeltaWave Null Comparison software

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Things are looking good. Thanks for the log scale option.

However, it appears low pass filtering isn't functioning for Filter 2. HP works in filter 1 and 2, and LP works for filter 1, but not for filter 2.
deltawave no filter 109.png

deltawave  109 filter 1 lp.png

deltawave  109 filter 2 lp.png

OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Things are looking good. Thanks for the log scale option.

However, it appears low pass filtering isn't functioning for Filter 2. HP works in filter 1 and 2, and LP works for filter 1, but not for filter 2.
View attachment 23040

View attachment 23041

View attachment 23042

Strange, but should be easy to fix.

By the way, can you please let me know what Windows DPI and font size settings you use? Also version of Windows?

Don’t know why I don’t see the text overlapping as it does in your screen captures. I’d like to reproduce this so I can correct it.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Strange, but should be easy to fix.

By the way, can you please let me know what Windows DPI and font size settings you use? Also version of Windows?

Don’t know why I don’t see the text overlapping as it does in your screen captures. I’d like to reproduce this so I can correct it.

Okay, Windows 10 1920x1080 on 15 inch Lenovo Ideapad. It was something of a gaming computer with Nvidia Geforce GTX card 660M.
It mainly uses that for external monitors and uses an Intel HD4000 for the laptop screen. So it may be an odd bird for displaying some things.

I do have scaling in display settings at 125%, but I tried it at 100% and Delta wave looks the same only smaller. Edges still chopped off. It is actually worse for small fonts. Here are screen shots for first small font and then large using the Aa setting in Deltawave. Also none of this changes if I make Deltawave fullscreen.

DeltaWave_v1.0.9 small font.png

DeltaWave_v1.0.9 large font.png

OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Okay, Windows 10 1920x1080 on 15 inch Lenovo Ideapad. It was something of a gaming computer with Nvidia Geforce GTX card 660M.
It mainly uses that for external monitors and uses an Intel HD4000 for the laptop screen. So it may be an odd bird for displaying some things.

I do have scaling in display settings at 125%, but I tried it at 100% and Delta wave looks the same only smaller. Edges still chopped off. It is actually worse for small fonts. Here are screen shots for first small font and then large using the Aa setting in Deltawave. Also none of this changes if I make Deltawave fullscreen.

View attachment 23070

View attachment 23071

Thanks, Dennis. I'll have to see if I can reproduce this on Windows 10. I've been using Windows 7 and 8 for testing, although did run on 10 briefly, just to confirm that it works.

OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

View attachment 23070

View attachment 23071

Keeping fingers crossed... Please try v1.0.10b. This (hopefully) improves the sizing/positioning of controls when DPI/zoom level is changed on Windows 10.

Pluto

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
All looks good on my 3840×2160 screen running at 150% font size. With your font button set to "normal", fonts look at bit small as you might expect. With "larger fonts" selected, perfect.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Dot10 for Windows 10. :) @pkane

Filter 2 is fixed of course. The upper area of the window is fixed now. The lower edge still cuts off just a little bit, and a little more with small fonts chosen. Here are two screen shots. Getting closer. BTW Deltawave is a joy to use compared to Diffmaker. So you've already accomplished some very worthwhile things.

First large fonts then small.

Dwave dot10 large font.png

Dwave dot10 small font.png

OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Dot10 for Windows 10. :) @pkane

Filter 2 is fixed of course. The upper area of the window is fixed now. The lower edge still cuts off just a little bit, and a little more with small fonts chosen. Here are two screen shots. Getting closer. BTW Deltawave is a joy to use compared to Diffmaker. So you've already accomplished some very worthwhile things.

First large fonts then small.

View attachment 23153

View attachment 23154

Very strange. Looks like you have different font sizes and a different zoom level selected in Windows, is that right? I see a mix of fonts where they should be all the same size. Let me see if I can get to the bottom of this. MSFT is killing me with these little inconsistencies :)

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I see none of those issues (1.0.4), but I always have my taskbar at the top of my desktop.

1551912545359.png

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I hate to bring in more things. @pkane

Three more this time.

I noticed the square for checking log axis on and off is also partly chopped. Didn't notice this initially.

I noticed on HP and LP use on linear scale the display of the filter cut-off frequency varies a bit with different Frequency scaling. Notch filter results show fine. And you don't see this issue when using the log display. Log always has the filter response right where it should be.

And finally, I see doubling of the frequency labels at some sizes of it. Here is an example showing the filter offset and doubling of the frequency labels.

scale doubling frequency.png

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
You are 6 versions behind. Plus the Windows police will get you for having the task bar at the top. Shame on you

You're so hard core on the bleeding edge. I'm hangin' back waiting for the bugs to be ironed out. ;)

OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I hate to bring in more things. @pkane

Three more this time.

I noticed the square for checking log axis on and off is also partly chopped. Didn't notice this initially.

I noticed on HP and LP use on linear scale the display of the filter cut-off frequency varies a bit with different Frequency scaling. Notch filter results show fine. And you don't see this issue when using the log display. Log always has the filter response right where it should be.

And finally, I see doubling of the frequency labels at some sizes of it. Here is an example showing the filter offset and doubling of the frequency labels.

View attachment 23156

I'm thinking to just let you pick your own font size, Dennis. Maybe you can find one that works better with your display.

HP and LP filters should display within the precision of the bin size in the FFT plot. What I think is happening is that the labels are not displaying with enough precision. The axis label that you see on a linear plot, for example 15k, may actually be 15.5k or 15.2k, so it looks like the filter is positioned at the wrong frequency, but it's just the label doesn't show enough decimal places. Same problem with doubling the frequencies on some plots. I'll get that fine-tuned a bit better.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm thinking to just let you pick your own font size, Dennis. Maybe you can find one that works better with your display.

HP and LP filters should display within the precision of the bin size in the FFT plot. What I think is happening is that the labels are not displaying with enough precision. The axis label that you see on a linear plot, for example 15k, may actually be 15.5k or 15.2k, so it looks like the filter is positioned at the wrong frequency, but it's just the label doesn't show enough decimal places. Same problem with doubling the frequencies on some plots. I'll get that fine-tuned a bit better.
Yes, I thought that was the case with the linear display.

As for my peculiar result, like I said this laptop uses one video card for the laptop screen and another for external use. Don't let my odd situation waste your time. It is very usable as it is. Windows can drive you mad with its inconsistencies.

When I get a chance I'll try the laptop with an external display. Maybe it all looks good there.

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Great, great program. Thanks! Scales well to 3440x1440.

Only minor issues so far:

- correctly IDs the monitor/video card as a sound device but tells me it is not available when I try to compare or play things. Not a big deal as I wouldn't use that device to listen to things but audacity/etc... have no issues using it.
1551920986304.png

- Resizing the windows doesn't seem to work in spectrogram mode. There are some computations going on in the background (I see processor use climbing) but the window does not resize. Resizing in other views works smoothly and when you then return to spectrogram, a perfectly adequate spectrogram is generated at the new size.

But can't stress enough how great an idea that was!

OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

- correctly IDs the monitor/video card as a sound device but tells me it is not available when I try to compare or play things. Not a big deal as I wouldn't use that device to listen to things but audacity/etc... have no issues using it.
View attachment 23158

- Resizing the windows doesn't seem to work in spectrogram mode. There are some computations going on in the background (I see processor use climbing) but the window does not resize. Resizing in other views works smoothly and when you then return to spectrogram, a perfectly adequate spectrogram is generated at the new size.

Thank you, Pierre! Are you using the latest version (.8 or later)? The reason I'm asking I made some changes in how WASAPI and ASIO drivers were handled, so the issue with audio card may have been fixed already, or maybe I actually broke it with these changes. I'd like to know which :)

OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

View attachment 23158

By the way, the spectrogram is a very heavy chart with a lot of data. Try changing the Spectrogram FFT size to a smaller number to see if this helps. You can also try to reduce the number of steps. Uncheck Interpolate -- it will make the chart a little less smooth, but should be faster to display:

1551930327966.png

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well an external monitor didn't make any difference. Still slices off the edge just a bit. Unless others start reporting the same issue, I'd suggest not worrying with it. Nothing about it prevents or hinders me using Deltawave.

OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well an external monitor didn't make any difference. Still slices off the edge just a bit. Unless others start reporting the same issue, I'd suggest not worrying with it. Nothing about it prevents or hinders me using Deltawave.

I'm not giving up yet :)

Top Bottom