• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Beta-test: DeltaWave Null Comparison software

KSTR

Major Contributor
Are you saying you want to be able to change these while inside the manual corrections window?
Yes, so that a stash of corrections is not lost. Btw, is it intentional that many instances (with seperated histories) of the manual correction window can be created and used at the same time? All of them must be closed for a trim change to be effective atm.

KSTR

Major Contributor
As for another optimizer option, "center linearity plot around 0dB" would be nice to fine trim the gain factor at resolutions where the normal rms minimizers don't find an improvement anymore. It seems to perfectly suited for automation from the strategic way one does work that out manually, as described in the "dB for gain change values" topic mentioned previously.
Maybe with a parameter at which bit level the plot shall intersect (fit to) the 0dB line, with a "auto" setting where a valid bit range "window" is applied to bit depth where data density is highest (or something like that).

EDIT:
The scenario:
1616067977236.png

"Match" arrived at a gain factor but I want, for example, the curve fit to 0dB at the 14...18dB bit levels, so about a gain change of -0.00009dB.
The reasoning is when examining static distortion and small dynamic compression/expansion it is often best to align the gains to match at the quiet low-level section(s) of the (broad-band) signal where ill-effects usually will be low (unless dealing with heavy crossover distortion etc).

Last edited:
OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, so that a stash of corrections is not lost. Btw, is it intentional that many instances (with seperated histories) of the manual correction window can be created and used at the same time? All of them must be closed for a trim change to be effective atm.

It was not intentional, just a happy accident ;)

KSTR

Major Contributor
I know there are quite a few Linux users on ASR so I thought I'd share that I was able to run @pkane's DeltaWave on Ubuntu using Wine. I didn't do much compatibility testing, but I was able to compare a couple of wav files without issue.

DeltaWave 1.0.50
Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS
Wine 4.0.3 (64-bit prefix)

View attachment 49361
I'm having troubles running DW under WINE on 18.04 LTS (mint mate). Install succeeded (after installing .NET 4.5) but the program just doesn't open.
Any ideas?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm having troubles running DW under WINE on 18.04 LTS (mint mate). Install succeeded (after installing .NET 4.5) but the program just doesn't open.
Any ideas?
When I've installed it under Manjaro it runs one time and then no more. I have given up on it. Just run it on a Win laptop.

OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Any ideas?

I've also been able to run DW under Ubuntu 18.04, but it required a specific version of Wine. I don't believe I got the sound output to work, though. Everything else seemed functional (except when exiting, some Windows component wasn't found needed to save settings so I had to terminate the DeltaWave.exe process).

To start it again, I just run this command:

wine '/home/paul/.wine/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/PKAudio/DeltaWave/DeltaWave.exe'

Last edited:
OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Any ideas?

Just installed DW on Ubuntu 20.04.2.0 LTS and it works, and even exits and restarts cleanly. Here are the steps, using winetricks:

Install Wine, 64-bit:
sudo apt install wine64

Verify Wine version (installed 5 for me):
wine --version

Install Winetricks:
sudo wget 'https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Winetricks/winetricks/master/src/winetricks' -O /usr/local/bin/winetricks
sudo chmod +x /usr/local/bin/winetricks

Needed to install cabextract for my distro:
sudo apt-get install cabextract

Install .NET 4.6.1:
env WINEPREFIX=$HOME/winedotnet wineboot --init env WINEPREFIX=$HOME/winedotnet winetricks --force dotnet461 corefonts

Download, extract and install DeltaWave:
wget 'https://deltaw.org/DeltaWaveSetup.zip' unzip DeltaWaveSetup.zip env WINEPREFIX=$HOME/winedotnet wine DeltaWaveSetup.exe

Now, find the DeltaWave icon in the program finder, and launch it!

1616285728902.png

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
In Manjaro I messed with it some more and now get a note 'YOU ARE running a 64 bit wine prefix, and some verbs require a 32 bit wine prefix. Try installing a 32 bit pre-fix". Didn't work in 32 bit prefix either. Thanks for helping where you can .

I'm using wine 6.4. and already had the other files you mention.

Last edited:
OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In Manjaro I messed with it some more and now get a note 'YOU ARE running a 64 bit wine prefix, and some verbs require a 32 bit wine prefix. Try installing a 32 bit pre-fix". Didn't work in 32 bit prefix either. Thanks for helping where you can .

I'm using wine 6.4. and already had the other files you mention.

DeltaWave will only run as 64-bit app, so I assume you’ll need the 64bit prefix.

Did you install wine64? Can you try installing version 5, which was what worked for me?

you’ll need .NET 4.6.1 not 4.5, by the way.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
DeltaWave will only run as 64-bit app, so I assume you’ll need the 64bit prefix.

Did you install wine64? Can you try installing version 5, which was what worked for me?

you’ll need .NET 4.6.1 not 4.5, by the way.
Well I previously had it as a 64 bit app which is why the message surprised me. You can have multiple prefixes so I had Deltawave in each one both 64 and 32.

I think I had net 4.6.1 I'll have to check. And while I could rollback to 5 I'll have to check. Seems there were two dependencies broken for other wine programs if I did that.

Usually if wine works from something fine, and if not I don't worry about it. It would be nice to have Deltawave working though as I use it so often.

OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well I previously had it as a 64 bit app which is why the message surprised me. You can have multiple prefixes so I had Deltawave in each one both 64 and 32.

I think I had net 4.6.1 I'll have to check. And while I could rollback to 5 I'll have to check. Seems there were two dependencies broken for other wine programs if I did that.

Usually if wine works from something fine, and if not I don't worry about it. It would be nice to have Deltawave working though as I use it so often.

Installed Manjaro and it seems to work.. sometimes. Sometimes it hangs, sometimes it runs. It always starts, but seems to be very slow when doing a match.

Here are the steps that I followed from clean O/S install:

sudo pacman-mirrors -f5 && sudo pacman -Syyu sudo pacman -Sy wine env WINEPREFIX=$HOME/winedotnet wineboot --init env WINEPREFIX=$HOME/winedotnet winetricks --force dotnet461 corefonts wget 'https://deltaw.org/DeltaWaveSetup.zip' unzip DeltaWaveSetup.zip env WINEPREFIX=$HOME/winedotnet wine DeltaWaveSetup.exe

I then launch DW from the icon in the menu.
1616307025551.png

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Installed Manjaro and it seems to work.. sometimes. Sometimes it hangs, sometimes it runs. It always starts, but seems to be very slow when doing a match.

Here are the steps that I followed from clean O/S install:

sudo pacman-mirrors -f5 && sudo pacman -Syyu sudo pacman -Sy wine env WINEPREFIX=$HOME/winedotnet wineboot --init env WINEPREFIX=$HOME/winedotnet winetricks --force dotnet461 corefonts wget 'https://deltaw.org/DeltaWaveSetup.zip' unzip DeltaWaveSetup.zip env WINEPREFIX=$HOME/winedotnet wine DeltaWaveSetup.exe

I then launch DW from the icon in the menu. View attachment 119485
This didn't quite all go smoothly.
When I get to the step to force dot 461 it runs a long time and things hang never completing.

However, having done the rest, the prior install of Deltawave does now work. I'll see if I can update to the latest version as this one is on 1.0.50

All right then, getting 1.0.61 went just fine.

Thanks for all the effort on your part to help me get this going. Very much appreciated.

OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This didn't quite all go smoothly.
When I get to the step to force dot 461 it runs a long time and things hangs never completing.

However, having done the rest, the prior install of Deltawave does now work. I'll see if I can update to the latest version as this one is on 1.0.50

Thanks for all the effort on your part to help me get this going. Very much appreciated.

For me, .NET 4.6.1 took a very long time (total of about 30 minutes). I’m not sure if this was related to using open source drivers?

Strangely, on Ubuntu it took maybe 3-4 minutes and went much more smoothly, with no requests to reboot or many questions.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Having run a couple matches it is very slow doing a match. Without having timed it, seems around twice as long or a bit longer than on my Windows laptop.

OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Having run a couple matches it is very slow doing a match. Without having timed it, seems around twice as long or a bit longer than on my Windows laptop.

Yes, I think Wine isn’t a great way to run CPU-intensive tasks, such as FFTs and processing large data sets. It did seem to run faster under Ubuntu, so something between Manjaro and Wine and DeltaWave isn’t performing well.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
For me, .NET 4.6.1 took a very long time (total of about 30 minutes). I’m not sure if this was related to using open source drivers?

Strangely, on Ubuntu it took maybe 3-4 minutes and went much more smoothly, with no requests to reboot or many questions.
I did it twice and it would go for about 15 minutes and hang. There was nothing going on with any of it as you could see in the System monitor. The 2nd time I left it for quite a while (around 30 more minutes) before killing the process. Maybe I didn't wait long enough.

Other programs I run in wine seem to run at normal speed. I use Reaper in it all the time and REW too.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Could be Ubuntu simply has wine working better. Even at this speed it will be handy to have on my desktop plenty often. I suppose if I'm doing lots of comparisons I'll still revert to my Win laptop.

OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I did it twice and it would go for about 15 minutes and hang. There was nothing going on with any of it as you could see in the System monitor. The 2nd time I left it for quite a while (around 30 more minutes) before killing the process. Maybe I didn't wait long enough.

Other programs I run in wine seem to run at normal speed. I use Reaper in it all the time and REW too. Vituixcad works fine via wine too.

Could be related to some of the native Windows libraries used in DeltaWave not working in an optimized way under Wine. Not sure. At some point, I can add some performance metrics to the log to try to figure out what’s taking so much longer.

KSTR

Major Contributor
Just installed DW on Ubuntu 20.04.2.0 LTS and it works, and even exits and restarts cleanly. Here are the steps, using winetricks[...]
Thanks a lot. I have yet another laptop running same 20.04.2 LTS (Mint Xcfe) and will try and report back.
The main intended target platform running 18.04 LTS I will need to update to 20.04 anyway.

OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
DeltaWave v1.0.62 is now available. I'll document the changes in more detail later, but most should be obvious:

Changes in 1.0.62b
  • Added: Configuration selection in Setup window, along with reset and save options
  • Added: Command-line arguments to automatically process files and write out the result
  • Added: Set Trim levels to current Zoom level menu under Edit menu (@KSTR )
  • Added: Play zoomed-in portion of wave file menu under Play menu (@KSTR )
  • Added: PK Metric column and optimization option to Manual Adjustments window (@Blumlein 88 )
  • Added: Option to display and enter gain settings in DB in Manual Adjustments window (@KSTR )
  • Added: Right click pop-up menu for showing/hiding tabs (right-click on any visible tab)
  • Added: Linearity measurement at 0.5dB error (in bits)
  • Added: Check/uncheck button to select or unselect all tabs in the Setup window
  • Changed: Manual Adjustments window will now apply new file trim settings, if changed (@KSTR )
  • Changed: Frequency axis log scale labels should work better with high-resolution displays, previously could cause overlaps
  • Changed: sub-sample offset calculation to work better with noise signals (@manisandher )
  • Changed: zero value in “Take” trim level will now result in taking samples to the end of the file, just like it does with “End” setting. Previously resulted in error message (@KSTR )

Top Bottom