• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

BestBuy to stop selling CDs... Target may be next

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
As somebody who lived through the "golden age" of CDs, I say good riddance to the format of inconvenient, unreliable and finicky media and players.
They were talking about CD's, not LP's ;)

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor

Wombat

Master Contributor
Prices of used non- pop CDs has risen somewhat on Ebay in the last couple of years. Possibly due to smaller current catalogues of the majors or get-it-while-you-can buyers.

There are many web-sites discussing the best sounding CD issues by specific artists. This also drives up prices.

milokinni

I like the idea of a physical disc in my hands, that an artiste work against time to churn out music in a physical medium with pretty art work. Yeah, vinyl is nice too, but it's a bit bulky.

I subscribe to Spotify, sample the music, then purchase the CDs for those interpretations I really like.

Chuck Gerlach

Physical discs are dying and that is one of many reasons Oppo is going to stop selling players (but will support their existing base). "Oh the times they are a changin' "

Since I now subscribe to Tidal, I no longer purchase any kind of physical discs for music, nor do I pay for downloads. All of my existing collection is on a server. And if some great technology is created to end up with great (but compressed) audio for movies, the physical BR's and $K movies will disappear as well. BUT, even I, who doesn't have the best hearing in the galaxy, can hear the difference between a physical BluRay and streamed content of the same movie. Not even close!!

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Since I now subscribe to Tidal, I no longer purchase any kind of physical discs for music, nor do I pay for downloads. All of my existing collection is on a server. And if some great technology is created to end up with great (but compressed) audio for movies, the physical BR's and $K movies will disappear as well. BUT, even I, who doesn't have the best hearing in the galaxy, can hear the difference between a physical BluRay and streamed content of the same movie. Not even close!!

Amen, I'm pretty much in the exact position with a couple differences.
1 Refuse to contribute $.01 to JZ and his gangster crew at Tidal. I use premium Spotify.
2 If I hear something I really like I'll buy the CD off ebay, rip it, then pass it on. Even if Spotify were to offer a lossless option I'd probably still do the same. I like knowing that my fav music is on my drive and can be accessed no matter what the state of the internet connection or the continued availability of the source. Just Ole School that way. ;)
Yep, video streaming just ain't there yet with regards to quality compared to BD, UHD or not.

Top Bottom