• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best wireless subwoofer kit with least latency?

Chrisfi

Seeing that the Outlaw OAW4 kit is often recommended online due to the purported low latency (unsure what the specs are however) but I don't see a review for it here. I see that SVS has a relatively new tri-band kit for the least amount of interference. I live in the suburbs. Just have a few different wireless networks from neighbors that I guess could possibly interfere but I don't see it being an issue. I think for my living situation it would be better to get the one that has the lowest amount of latency? Which kit is recommended by audioscience review?

I have a 5.1 setup and use Dirac Live. Unsure if latency even matters as I assume Dirac would do its magic so it wouldn't be an issue.

Zoomer

I'm using two Dynasty WSA-5TR-V2 in a 2.2 setup.
Inside is the same wireless module as the KEF KW1.
Latency is spec'd as <17ms, which is lower than most.
Freq. resp. down to 10Hz.

Big pro is that they can switch between 5.2 and 5.8 bands.
I've found them to work flawlessly in everyday use with fast and rock-solid connection.

Flak

Industry Insider
Seeing that the Outlaw OAW4 kit is often recommended online due to the purported low latency (unsure what the specs are however) but I don't see a review for it here. I see that SVS has a relatively new tri-band kit for the least amount of interference. I live in the suburbs. Just have a few different wireless networks from neighbors that I guess could possibly interfere but I don't see it being an issue. I think for my living situation it would be better to get the one that has the lowest amount of latency? Which kit is recommended by audioscience review?

I have a 5.1 setup and use Dirac Live. Unsure if latency even matters as I assume Dirac would do its magic so it wouldn't be an issue.
The latency of wireless subwoofers can be a problem depending on the AVR...
Dirac Live has to make the sound arrive at the same time from all speakers,
in order to accomplish that it takes the farthest speaker as a reference and assigns a 0 milliseconds delay to it,
it then assigns a delay to the other speakers so that they reach the main listening point concurrently.
(we need to refer to the "acoustical" distance that can be different than the physical distance as wireless subwoofers create delay)

The problem might be that each AVR can apply a certain maximum delay (different from model to model) which eventually might not be sufficient for compensating for the delays caused by the wireless subwoofer, the Dirac Live phase correction (less than 10 milliseconds), and the real-time processing by the AVR's DSP.

Last edited:
Top Bottom