• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best way to play Dolby Atmos movies on headphones? (re: virtual surround sound)

sofakng

Are there any good virtual surround sound options for playing Dolby Atmos (or DTS) on a PC with headphones?

I've just finished my first beginner/budget audiophile setup:

beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro (250 ohm)
Monoprice Liquid Spark Amplifier
Monoprice Liquid Spark DAC

So far I'm pretty happy. There is definitely a large difference from my motherboard audio.

However, I often watch movies on my PC that contain surround sound (Dolby Digital, DTS, Dolby Atmos, etc). What is the best method for playback using virtual surround sound?

Is there anything even worth using?

I've just played a movie with my very old 5.1 PC speakers and I do enjoy that directional audio hearing sounds behind me, etc.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The best way would be Smyth Realiser.

For 5.1/7.1 I like the HRTF processing in the ffdshow DirectShow filter.

txbdan

If you watch a movie using the AppleTV app or music using the Music app on a Mac computer using AirPods Pro connected via bluetooth, will Atmos/Spatial Audio function correctly?

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The best way is with a Smyth A16 Realiser with a bespoke in person capture of a state of the art speaker system such as the Dutch & Dutch 8cs done in a studio in 24 channels. In other words, my system.

Top Bottom