• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best way to control volume on this setup? (More of my dumb newb volume questions)

SuperDerpBro

Most things I read, and people I've asked, say to try and do volume as far down the chain as possible. I just set up everything I bought on Black Friday and am curious what is the best way.

I mostly use a dedicated ITX PC to play FLAC from my NAS.. sometimes CD player. Haven't even tried a CD yet.
I am using foobar2000 > USB > AIYIMA DAC-A1 > RCA > AIYIMA B01 > Cheap CCA 16g (for now) > ELAC DBP5s
I plan to buy a better DAC/AMP if I get more into this.

Windows volume = 100
foobar2000 = 0.00dB (exclusive mode outputting 24bit)
CD player = Coax
DAC volume = 99 (It's max setting)

That brings me to my amp. It has a digital knob (and a remote). One single notch from silence is already a good listening volume. A touch too loud for background music. 5 more clicks/notches and it's now very loud. Far louder than I think it should be.

Before this I was using the same PC/DAC with powered speakers set at half volume. I was using foobar to control volume, or the DAC if playing a CD. Weird that the old powered speakers didn't find the DAC "too hot" at max.. If that is what is going on. I really have no idea.

I've been playing with it today. If I set foobar to max (0dB) / DAC at %60 / Amp at whatever I feel like, it seems to work ok. I Just worry I'm lowering the 16bit audio to below 16bit. Also worried that the DAC might forget to be at %60 when I turn it on one day. heh.

I also bought a couple cheap used passive subs to mess about with. The Sub L/R for passive subs dont seem to do anything :(

Cheers :)

Does my DAC work like this?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Did not watch the video. What you are doing is probably fine. I'd be less worried the DAC might come on 100% than somehow doing that in Foobar, though that is a risk either way.

I would think the DAC would implement volume in 24 bit, so yes, in a sense with 16 bit material you may lose one bit. You aren't going to find that much of a loss really. I'd stay with what you have done if it makes it work right.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Did not watch the video. What you are doing is probably fine. I'd be less worried the DAC might come on 100% than somehow doing that in Foobar, though that is a risk either way.

I would think the DAC would implement volume in 24 bit, so yes, in a sense with 16 bit material you may lose one bit. You aren't going to find that much of a loss really. I'd stay with what you have done if it makes it work right.
Any ready made voltage dividers (In case he can't built them himself)?
He can have some piece of mind this way.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Any ready made voltage dividers (In case he can't built them himself)?
He can have some piece of mind this way.
Yes, but they cost a significant fraction of his amp. Unless I missed some cheaper ones.

OP
SuperDerpBro

SuperDerpBro

Thanks Blumlein 88. I do hope that is what the dac is doing.

If I was to buy another DAC AMP combo (or DAC/AMP in one).. Is there anything you'd recommend? I've been looking at the AIYIMA D03, Loxjie a30 and the fosi DA2120C and DA2120A

Kinda wanted a combo unit to begin with but now I'm worried if I have the same problem I won't be able to turn the dac or the amp down. Only one knob lol

OP
SuperDerpBro

SuperDerpBro

I switched the AIYIMA DAC-A1 for an Apple USB-C dongle, to test. It's quieter but not by much. The B01 has 30 volume "clicks" and with the Apple its gets quite loud at like 11.

Other than that.. I think this dongle sounds better than the AIYIMA DAC-A1.. hehe

Should I just buy a Yamaha RS202. Noticed they are on sale today

Last edited:
Top Bottom