• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best way to connect AVR and DAC to power amp without having to reconnect the cables?

anphex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hi guys,

yeah, pretty much thread title.
I have an AVR for all my purposes but I am thinking about getting a dedicated USB DAC for music. The only problem is I don't know how to wire this setup without having to reconnect the cables the whole time.

Is there a way to connect two audio devices to a single power amp?

D

Deleted member 46664

Well yes there is ... but you should check your AVR... many have pass-through inputs that can pass the DAC's signal to the power amp.

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor
Just use rca connect cable to one of your free inputs like CD/Tape/DVD just don’t use Turntable/phono input. Should be easy or you can use an open Digital Jack or Optical in. If you tell us what AVR make and model you have, we can give you more specific advice.

SKBubba

So it sounds like you have the AVR preouts going to the amp? And you want to be able to play the dac out to the amp while bypassing all the AVR processing?

If so, hook the dac's analog out to the avr cd, aux, or similar input as mentioned above. For playback, select cd/aux/whatever as the input, and select the avr "direct" or "pure" or similar mode that bypasses all avr processing.

OP
anphex

anphex

Forum Donor
Okay, I should have been more specific from the start.

My current setup:

PC->HDMI->Denon X3700->HDMI->TV
PC->HDMI->Denon X3700->RCA->Power Amp

My target setup:

PC->USB->DAC-------------> RCA->Power Amp

So I want the RCA cable to stay in the power amp but also keep it connected to the AVR but also to the DAC. Basically like a Y-cable.

SKBubba

My current setup:

My target setup:

So I want the RCA cable to stay in the power amp but also keep it connected to the AVR but also to the DAC. Basically like a Y-cable.
Do what I suggested above using direct mode and it will be essentially that. You are bypassing the avr dacs and sending the signal directly (almost?) to the power amp using the avr as a preamp..

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

My current setup:

My target setup:

Plenty of RCA Switches on Amazon etc.

Just make sure you are not disappointed not hearing a difference btw the X3700 (ca 100dB SINAD in pre-amp mode) and an external DAC. Plus you will „loose“ the Audyssey room EQ if you bypass the X3700, which will most likely effect SQ negatively.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 46664

My current setup:

My target setup:

Can't do that.
The rule is that you can feed multiple inputs from one output
But you cannot feed one input from multiple outputs.
It can actually damage your equipment.

Best bet ...

PC -> USB -> DAC -> RCA ->Denon X3700 -> RCA-> Power Amp

Just use a spare input on the AVR... let it do the switching for you.

Before you spend money ...
What's wrong with the DAC in the Denon?
Are you sure that an external DAC will be better?

AudiOhm

Don't tell half the story, what DAC?

Ohms

SKBubba

Plenty of RCA Switches on Amazon etc.

Just make sure you are not disappointed not hearing a difference btw the X3700 (ca 100dB SINAD in pre-amp mode) and an external DAC. Plus you will „loose“ the Audyssey room EQ if you bypass the X3700, which will most likely effect SQ negatively.

This. I use pc usb out to a topping d10, but only for converting pc usb to coax s/pdif to feed X3600 dacs. I don’t use direct mode because you lose audyssey room correction, sub/bass management (no sub at all in direct mode), and dynamic eq which I love.

I played around with analog out from dac to analog in on the denon, and didn't hear much if any difference (guess the denon has pretty good adc's too). Didn't see the point of doing double conversion, so using s/pdif gives me digital all the way to the amp and speaker terminals, and all the cool dsp you can do on the way. Sounds good in my setup.

OP
anphex

anphex

Forum Donor
As you all already say, using a high quality DAC like Topping/Gustard and then routing it through the AVR does make little sense.

I wanted to use the DAC with FIR room correction created in REW and then apply a loudness curve. So I get most of the benefits of a high quality DAC and (manual) room correction.

A passive RCA switch looks like the best bet so far, though I still have to get up from the couch to change the routing haha.

Zek

Major Contributor
Where will you control the volume - via DAC?
Which DAC?

OP
anphex

anphex

Forum Donor
Probably a Topping model with Bluetooth.

Top Bottom