• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best value streamer with no DAC

Aldo

[QUOTE = "RPG, post: 588930, membre: 13272"] J'ai deux Rpi4 de 2 Go fonctionnant uniquement comme des streamers (exécutant piCoreplayer / Squeezelite). Cela fonctionne bien et ne semble en aucun cas taxer le Rpi. [/ QUOTE]

thanks !!

anon2k2

Forum Donor
I have two 2GB Rpi4's functioning as only streamers (running piCoreplayer/Squeezelite). This works smoothly and doesn't seem to tax the Rpi in any way.

I concur, the 2gb Rpi 4 is the way to go if it's just streaming music, along with an 8gb SD Card. These days there's just a small difference in price between 8gb, 16gb, and 32gb SD Cards, so it might make sense to get a larger one, but it isn't needed for a streaming device. Also, the choice of a specific brand/model of SD Card seems to be an almost holy war, but I've been using the Samsung Evo Select and it's worked fine.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
on this subject ...
which model of raspberry is sufficient for use as a streamer (qobuz)? Pi3; Pi4 2GB, 4GB, 8GB ?
I am interested in this option to use Audirvana afterwards ...
A Pi 4 2GB will be a safe, versatile choice. None of the audio player solutions need any more memory - even the 2GB is overkill for them. For some purposes even a Pi Zero-W will do the job, but it does have limitations.

navin

Hi,

Sorry, I am late to this party. I am looking for a media player that can:
  1. Act as a server and help me navigate through my Audio and Video files (stored on a USB hard disk).
  2. Act as a streamer for services like Tidal, Spotify, Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc.
  3. Have a simple GUI interface like my Apple TV box so it can be navigated easily by a tech-averse person like myself.
I intend to connect this media player to a Topping D70BT DAC via I2S (LVDS)
d70_7-1.jpg (720×540) (wordpress.com)

The reason I hope to use the I2S input is that I intend to keep the USB input free for my laptop, use the TosLink (Optical) input for my PS4 Pro and use the CoAx (SPDIF) input of the D70BT to connect my old Marantz Pearl CD player (the internal DAC is a CS 4398) thereby extending the life of my CD player (using the player as just a transport).

The analogue audio output from the DAC will go to my AVR (or a dedicated stereo amplifier) and for video, the media player would be connected via HDMI (the RaspDiGi, RPi4 and USBridge all have HDMI out) to my AVR.

My options are to buy something like the RASPDIGI streamer or build one using an RPI4 or USBRIDGE SIGNATURE connected to a Kali Clock and Shanti Power supplyor IAC CANADA Clock and Linear Power Supply (see links). I am leaning towards the later but have a few questions.

1. How do I create an I2S (LVDS) output (over HDMI) from Kali’s MCLK signal (see top right-hand corner in the link)? kali-bottom.png (650×535) (allo.com) or from the J6-11 jumpers on IAN CANADA's FiFo Board?
  2. From the Kali Manual (see page 7 in the link) I i2s signals are transmitted over pins 12, 29, 35, 40 of GPIO Top connector and pins 12, 35 and 40 of the GPIO Bottom connector. Vana (allo.com) but how does one connect these GPIO pins to an HDMI style connector?
  3. Is using an Isolator board essential?
  4. Is there something else I am missing?
  5. Is the 3.12" screen useable with the USBridge or RPi4?

RASPDIGI LTE LVDS V2 Streamer I2S LVDS HDMI Allo Kali Reclocker Audio-GD Compatible - Audiophonics

OR
USBridge Sig - Ultra low noise RPI (allo.com)
OR
Raspberry Pi 4 Model B specifications – Raspberry Pi
WITH (Option A)
Kali (i2s Reclocker) (allo.com)
AND Shanti Dual Linear Ultra Low Noise PSU (allo.com)
AND Isolator V1.2 Clean Power (allo.com)
OR WITH (Option B)
IAN CANADA FIFOPI Q2 ULTIMATE Reclocker Module FIFO PCM 32bit 768kHz DSD1024 DoP - Audiophonics
AND IAN CANADA FIFOPI Q2 ULTIMATE Reclocker Module FIFO PCM 32bit 768kHz DSD1024 DoP - Audiophonics
AND IAN CANADA ISOLATOR II Galvanic Insulation Module for Raspberry Pi / Odroid - Audiophonics

AND White SPI / IIC 256x64 OLED 3.12" screen - Audiophonics

BTW are USBridge, Kali and Shanti sold by Audiophonics the same as the ones sold by Allo above?
ALLO USBRIDGE SIGNATURE Audio Streamer Raspberry Pi Compute 3+ Ultra Low Noise USB Interface - Audiophonics
ALLO KALI Reclocker I2S FIFO Sparky SBC and Raspberry 44/48MHz 32bit 384kHZ - Audiophonics
ALLO SHANTI Dual Regulated Linear Power Supply 5V 3A / 5V 1A - Audiophonics

Lastly, I got some information from DIY-audio and Dimitri's Blog (see links) but not enough to have to confidence to build the media player. I2S | Dimdim's Blog
Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter - Page 531 - diyAudio
Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter - Page 548 - diyAudio
For translation in your language, just check the translate option on the upper left of this page After the successful adventures with the Allo Kali Reclocker in - BerryStreamer with Ian Canada FiFoPi (audio-creative.nl)

Last edited:

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi,

1. Act as a server and help me navigate through my Audio and Video files (stored on a USB hard disk).
  2. Act as a streamer for services like Tidal, Spotify, Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc.
  3. Have a simple GUI interface like my Apple TV box so it can be navigated easily by a tech-averse person like myself.
I intend to connect this media player to a Topping D70BT DAC via I2S (LVDS)
d70_7-1.jpg (720×540) (wordpress.com)

The reason I hope to use the I2S input is that I intend to keep the USB input free for my laptop, use the TosLink (Optical) input for my PS4 Pro and use the CoAx (SPDIF) input of the D70BT to connect my old Marantz Pearl CD player (the internal DAC is a CS 4398) thereby extending the life of my CD player (using the player as just a transport).

The analogue audio output from the DAC will go to my AVR (or a dedicated stereo amplifier) and for video, the media player would be connected via HDMI (the RaspDiGi, RPi4 and USBridge all have HDMI out) to my AVR.

My options are to buy something like the RASPDIGI streamer or build one using an RPI4 or USBRIDGE SIGNATURE connected to a Kali Clock and Shanti Power supplyor IAC CANADA Clock and Linear Power Supply (see links). I am leaning towards the later but have a few questions.

1. How do I create an I2S (LVDS) output (over HDMI) from Kali’s MCLK signal (see top right-hand corner in the link)? kali-bottom.png (650×535) (allo.com) or from the J6-11 jumpers on IAN CANADA's FiFo Board?
  2. From the Kali Manual (see page 7 in the link) I i2s signals are transmitted over pins 12, 29, 35, 40 of GPIO Top connector and pins 12, 35 and 40 of the GPIO Bottom connector. Vana (allo.com) but how does one connect these GPIO pins to an HDMI style connector?
  3. Is using an Isolator board essential?
  4. Is there something else I am missing?
  5. Is the 3.12" screen useable with the USBridge or RPi4?

RASPDIGI LTE LVDS V2 Streamer I2S LVDS HDMI Allo Kali Reclocker Audio-GD Compatible - Audiophonics

OR
USBridge Sig - Ultra low noise RPI (allo.com)
OR
Raspberry Pi 4 Model B specifications – Raspberry Pi
WITH (Option A)
Kali (i2s Reclocker) (allo.com)
AND Shanti Dual Linear Ultra Low Noise PSU (allo.com)
AND Isolator V1.2 Clean Power (allo.com)
OR WITH (Option B)
IAN CANADA FIFOPI Q2 ULTIMATE Reclocker Module FIFO PCM 32bit 768kHz DSD1024 DoP - Audiophonics
AND IAN CANADA FIFOPI Q2 ULTIMATE Reclocker Module FIFO PCM 32bit 768kHz DSD1024 DoP - Audiophonics
AND IAN CANADA ISOLATOR II Galvanic Insulation Module for Raspberry Pi / Odroid - Audiophonics

AND White SPI / IIC 256x64 OLED 3.12" screen - Audiophonics

BTW are USBridge, Kali and Shanti sold by Audiophonics the same as the ones sold by Allo above?
ALLO USBRIDGE SIGNATURE Audio Streamer Raspberry Pi Compute 3+ Ultra Low Noise USB Interface - Audiophonics
ALLO KALI Reclocker I2S FIFO Sparky SBC and Raspberry 44/48MHz 32bit 384kHZ - Audiophonics
ALLO SHANTI Dual Regulated Linear Power Supply 5V 3A / 5V 1A - Audiophonics

Lastly, I got some information from DIY-audio and Dimitri's Blog (see links) but not enough to have to confidence to build the media player. I2S | Dimdim's Blog
Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter - Page 531 - diyAudio
Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter - Page 548 - diyAudio
For translation in your language, just check the translate option on the upper left of this page After the successful adventures with the Allo Kali Reclocker in - BerryStreamer with Ian Canada FiFoPi (audio-creative.nl)

Oh boy. wow hahahaa.

First of all, forget about all the power supplies and USBridge signature offered by Allo, it's just snake oil.

Second of all, since you're very determined to use I2S over HDMI then the Pi2AES is perfect for you. I'm also not sure why would you need a reclocker in your case.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Good luck, and let us know if you find something that can do all of the above. The closest I can think of (without having tried it - it might not work!) would be LineageOS plus OpenGApps tvstock to get something that's essentially Android TV, then use Plex or something for the local files, and the Netflix, Amazon or whatever apps for their respective content. How/whether this would work with the split audio routing I don't know, and the WideVine DRM level might be an issue too. There are plenty of things that would do the audio well but not handle the video.

navin

First of all, forget about all the power supplies and USBridge signature offered by Allo, it's just snake oil.

Second of all, since you're very determined to use I2S over HDMI then the Pi2AES is perfect for you. I'm also not sure why would you need a reclocker in your case.

1. I always believed that the quality of a power supply makes a good difference in the sound of an audio component. While I do not have measurement data to back this up, I have been part of several blind listening tests (in my younger days) that led me to arrive at this conclusion. This is not limited to amplifiers where the reason may be obvious but several source components too. For example, I was part of a blind test that put the newly minted CD63KI Signature against Ingo Hansen's Phonosophie CD player that was in effect a CD63 with an upgraded/modified power supply (without all the copper shielding in the KI version of the CD63). Since the much venerated Ken Ishiwata was present all of us wanted his 63KI to win the test but it didn't. All 6 listeners preferred the Phonosophie. Of course, I believe everything has to be within "reason". As long as a power supply has the capacity, is well regulated and clean it should be more than up to the task.

2. As far as the clock was concerned, I assume (maybe even believe) that the DAC and the Player need to be in sync. If they are operating on 2 different clocks they wouldn't be. A common clock transmitted via I2S would keep them in sync as long as the cable is very short. Or do I not need an additional clock? Does the DAC send the clock over I2S to the Media Player to ensure they are both in sync? I thought an external clock is essential to ensure this. Gustard even has a clock product called the C16 (see link). GUSTARD C16 10M Clock Audio Clock OCXO (shenzhenaudio.com)

Ian Canada has a short video on his products which may help explain the need for a clock.
Ultra Low Jitter Digital Audio Transport DIY, FifoPi Q3, TransportPi, StationPi, LinearPi and more - YouTube

HDMI is far from perfect but it is what the Topping has as an I2S connector. Gustard also has the same standard. The object of using I2S was primarily to free up the DAC's USB, CoAx (SPDIF), and TosLink connections for other devices. Since the media player will be sitting next to the DAC it's cable can be very short and hence I2S "compliant".

My last argument to build the "best" possible media player (that can serve as a server and streamer) is that if one is going to invest any time into this, the least one can do is ensure they have the best parts they can afford (in this case within a budget of $500). Allo's USbridge + Kali + Shanti come under this price point (you still need a box to stick it all in but there are several project boxes available for this).

When it comes to software, about 5-6 years ago a friend of mine had XBMC (precursor to Kodi) running on OpenElec and was able to use that to play both audio and video files (aka movies, albums, playlists etc). The UI wasn't very friendly but it worked.

Now there is software like Jellyfin, Emby, Plex, etc that I am told can do the same with more friendly UI. I think one can run Prime, Tidal and Netlfix alongside Plex/Jellyfin/Emby and it more the OS that needs to be suitable. I don't know of an OS that is. Help here would be greatly appreciated. Various friends have told me to try Linux distro, OSMC, Raspbian, Chromium (Media Edition) etc. but I figured I would get better direction here.

Last edited:

Aldo

A Pi 4 2GB will be a safe, versatile choice. None of the audio player solutions need any more memory - even the 2GB is overkill for them. For some purposes even a Pi Zero-W will do the job, but it does have limitations.

What is essential to have for use as a streaming, flawless :
- heat sink
- fan
- both of them!
Thank you !

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Unless you're using something like BruteFIR the cpu usage for streaming is very low, so you don't really need either a heatsink or fan. There's no harm using a heatsink, and some of the heatsink cases are quite nice. Fan noise may or may not be audible, and even if it is it may not bother you.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
thanks !!
the noise of the fan was indeed the hidden question behind my interrogation ;)

Noisy or not, a fan is motorized and moving part. IMHO, such device shouldn't be implemented in or near a music intended device.
I couldn't even consider a "good" power amp with a fan for this reason either.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Noisy or not, a fan is motorized and moving part. IMHO, such device shouldn't be implemented in or near a music intended device.
I couldn't even consider a "good" power amp with a fan for this reason either.
No (SA)CD, DVD or DAT players, turntables or reel-to-reels then. I suppose speakers get a pass on the 'no moving parts' rule.

elevensheep

about to pull the trigger on a Raspberry Pi 4, but have a few questions that would appreciate help on

1) I mainly listen to Roon (Tidal) and Spotify - do both work on a RP4?

2) I plan to buy this set - is that the right one? https://classroomeshop.com/collecti...berry-pi-4-desktop-kit?variant=35827775275160

3) I usually use my phone as a control when listening to music via Roon or Spotify - does the RP4 set include wifi? I don't see it in descpription

4) any quality difference between the RP4 and the Lumin 4 min which I am also considering?

thanks in advance

anon2k2

Forum Donor
about to pull the trigger on a Raspberry Pi 4, but have a few questions that would appreciate help on

1) I mainly listen to Roon (Tidal) and Spotify - do both work on a RP4?

2) I plan to buy this set - is that the right one? https://classroomeshop.com/collecti...berry-pi-4-desktop-kit?variant=35827775275160

3) I usually use my phone as a control when listening to music via Roon or Spotify - does the RP4 set include wifi? I don't see it in descpription

4) any quality difference between the RP4 and the Lumin 4 min which I am also considering?

thanks in advance

Yes, both Roon and Tidal work on the Rpi.

Yes, that kit will be fine.

Yes, The Rpi4 has WiFi onboard. It works well for music streaming.

I don't know about the Lunin, but I have four Raspberry Pi streamers and I'm happy with them.

elevensheep

Yes, both Roon and Tidal work on the Rpi.

Yes, that kit will be fine.

Yes, The Rpi4 has WiFi onboard. It works well for music streaming.

I don't know about the Lunin, but I have four Raspberry Pi streamers and I'm happy with them.

thanks Anon - any recommendation on OS for the RP4?

thanks

anon2k2

Forum Donor
I am pretty "techy" so I use DietPi and then load packages (apps) for Roon from there, but I think Volumio is pretty cool as an easy to install solution. You do have to pay extra for Tidal and Qobuz integration but just standard Volumio is free.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am pretty "techy" so I use DietPi and then load packages (apps) for Roon from there, but I think Volumio is pretty cool as an easy to install solution. You do have to pay extra for Tidal and Qobuz integration but just standard Volumio is free.

Tbh Alexamixer can go haywire often with different packages, while I'm also techy I'm not digital audio techy and most of the time getting a pre-build (RoopieXL currently) has been way easier.

The only other thing i would want my Pi to do is to have pihole, do you have any idea how i can incorporate this on a minimal distribution like RoopieXL?

Sukie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I mainly listen to Roon (Tidal) and Spotify - do both work on a RP4?

thanks Anon - any recommendation on OS for the RP4?

thanks
I don't use Roon but, if you want to use Roon with an RPi, you need to configure it as a Roon Bridge (as far as I'm aware). RoPieee seems to be well received on this forum and can be used with Spotify Connect as well.

I know that Volumio has a Roon Bridge plugin. You can also configure Moode to work as a Roon Bridge:

http://moodeaudio.org/forum/showthread.php?tid=3200

Again, I must stress that I don't use Roon as so can't vouch for these from personal experience.

Last edited:

elevensheep

I don't use Roon but, if you want to use Roon with an RPi, you need to configure it as a Roon Bridge (as far as I'm aware). RoPieee seems to be well received on this forum and can be used with Spotify Connect as well.

I know that Volumio has a Roon Bridge plugin. You can also configure Moode to work as a Roon Bridge:

http://moodeaudio.org/forum/showthread.php?tid=3200

Again, I must stress that I don't use Roon as so can't vouch for these from personal experience.+

Thank you, this is helpful

Top Bottom