• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best value streamer with no DAC

roog

Forum Donor
It sounds like your computer is only showing you the boot partition, probably because it doesn't recognise the linux-native file system format on the main partition that's filling the rest of the card. The imaging tools (dd, Etcher or equivalent) should still be able to write to the whole card if you want to reinstall player software. Similarly a partition management tool like Windows 10's Disk Manager should be able to see the other partiton and delete, resize, reformat etc. so that you can use it as a normal card again.

If the cards are really damaged you can probably still use them for a client-only PiCorePlayer installation. It's very small so there's a good chance it'll fit in before the damaged part, and it rarely writes to the card.

thankyou somebodyelse, I’ll give that a try, I even asked our IT department and they couldn’t be bothered. They just said, “Just buy another!”

Cut-Throat

I just switched from Volumio to PiCorePlayer and I like t much better. Not stalls or dropouts in the music. It uses SqueezwPlayer Logicitech Media Server with my Topping D50s.

Yes, go with PiCorePlayer... I have used it for years and never a problem.... I have found Volumio very Buggy however. Other software such as MoOde and Volumio are very limited in capability as well. PiCorePlayer is the King and most feature rich of software for the Rpi.

andrewch

Hi there,

Great topic and solutions so far. I'm also in the market to add a streamer to my Sabaj D5 DAC.

My music preferences are for playing Tidal from native Android app and occasional Spotify via chromecast audio (CCA) - the whole family uses these apps and I would not like to introduce new players with inferior UI/UX.

I don't like setting up servers, or cores or paying 700$ for Roon software just to play Tidal + additional $300 core computer. I understand Roon has it's value, but it's hard for me to justify these expenses.

So far I have been playing music using a CCA via toslink cable. Looking for a network streaming solution to upgrade from CCA and play Tidal masters (96/24) via native Android app.

Budget ~$500. Hope you can help.

Familiar with raspberry pi, using two at home.

Last edited:

andrewch

Great ! -- Just use the Free Software PiCorePlayer and it will do exactly what you want.

https://www.picoreplayer.org/

Thanks, so let me wrap this
Great ! -- Just use the Free Software PiCorePlayer and it will do exactly what you want.

https://www.picoreplayer.org/

Thanks. Can you explain how this works? After installing it along with squeezebox account, I can use Tidal native app as remote and PCP plays it? I didn't read on their forums that it can unfold Tidal masters in 96/24.

Cut-Throat

Thanks, so let me wrap this

Thanks. Can you explain how this works? After installing it along with squeezebox account, I can use Tidal native app as remote and PCP plays it? I didn't read on their forums that it can unfold Tidal masters in 96/24.

You can link Tidal to the PiCorePlayer Software (Which runs LMS) --- But you control it from the LMS App or a variety of others that will control LMS - Such as Squeeze Ctrl for Android etc. --- You don't use the Tidal App - And Yes PiCorePlayer will Play MQA -- And 96 KHhz, 192KHz as well as DSD Audio.... As long as you have the Right DAC.

andrewch

You can link Tidal to the PiCorePlayer Software (Which runs LMS) --- But you control it from the LMS App or a variety of others that will control LMS - Such as Squeeze Ctrl for Android etc. --- You don't use the Tidal App - And Yes PiCorePlayer will Play MQA -- And 96 KHhz, 192KHz as well as DSD Audio.... As long as you have the Right DAC.

Thanks, this looks similar to other server app experiences where you end up not using the native Tidal app. I'm looking for a solution to continue using the native Tidal app (just like with CCA) and get 96/24. Not sure if this is possible thou.

Cut-Throat

Thanks, this looks similar to other server app experiences where you end up not using the native Tidal app. I'm looking for a solution to continue using the native Tidal app (just like with CCA) and get 96/24. Not sure if this is possible thou.

Then I am no help for you on that one.... Sorry.

Sukie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Why do you need to use the native Tidal app?

I'm not familiar with PiCorePlayer but I am familiar with Moode Audio on Rasp Pi, albeit using Qobuz rather than Tidal. You can set up Moode as a UPNP renderer and then use an Android app to stream Tidal (I use Bubble UPNP).

The problem might arise with MQA. Moode doesn't seem to support MQA playback, but I don't know about PiCorePlayer.

If you're willing to physically attach your android device to your DAC then you can use USB Audio Player Pro. This doesn't use the native Tidal app, but it does allow MQA playback.

MQA provision seems to be very erratic. Personally I am not a fan which is why I use Qobuz.

somy

Sorry to hijack the discussion, but can the rpi stream tidal mqa bit perfect to external usb dac?

firedog

Sorry to hijack the discussion, but can the rpi stream tidal mqa bit perfect to external usb dac?
The question isn't the Pi, the question is what software you load on it. You need to find an OS, like piCore player or diet-pi, or Volumio, etc., that lets you load apps that will play back what you want.

somy

The question isn't the Pi, the question is what software you load on it. You need to find an OS, like piCore player or diet-pi, or Volumio, etc., that lets you load apps that will play back what you want.
I did some research on moode and Volumio and looks to me neither support mqa. I know I can use Roon but the cost is high.

somy

was
Is it an MQA DAC?
yes I know I need mqa DAC, but mqa only work if the player also support “bitstream” it to DAC. So far I haven’t found any rpi based player support it hence the question

somy

Just an interesting thought, could it be an android based portal DAP such as FiiO M11 used in desktop setup? Looks like much more functionality in Android based devices.

Bamyasi

O!MPD web music player in my DietPi OS (running on Allo.com's USBridge) supports bitperfect playback without any issues. I have tested it with a bunch of MQA files and they were all successfully played back via USB on my Matrix Audio X-SABRE Pro MQA DAC, as DAC's display indicated. You can configure bitperfect playback on USBridge either via the Allo Web GUI or via a remote console (ssh), if you are comfortable with Linux. I do not use Tidal myself but do not see why it won't work with it either, e.g. via BubbleUPnP/DLNA.

Bamyasi

Just an interesting thought, could it be an android based portal DAP such as FiiO M11 used in desktop setup? Looks like much more functionality in Android based devices.
It is next to impossible to work around Android USB audio stack, which does not provide bitperfect playback by default. A number of hacks are available but those are usually not for fainted hearts.

somy

It is next to impossible to work around Android USB audio stack, which does not provide bitperfect playback by default. A number of hacks are available but those are usually not for fainted hearts.
Ok Good to know. what about use the dap’s line out directly? Some of the daps in the market comes with quite good DAC chips. Not sure if they more or less match desktop products

Bamyasi

Ok Good to know. what about use the dap’s line out directly? Some of the daps in the market comes with quite good DAC chips. Not sure if they more or less match desktop products
I would rather try using a cheap old LG phone instead for that. These are known to have really good DAC chips in them and you might be able to snatch one for well under $50 if you are lucky. They also usually have more powerful hardware compared to most DAPs and a more recent version of Android installed. Also, so far none of the DAPs has measured well in Amir's test rig here, including several expensive brands.

Top Bottom