• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best value streamer with no DAC

roog

Forum Donor
Interesting chat going on here. I too am looking for a dedicated network streamer with SPDIF output. I have an Rpi3 plus Allo hat, but so far I don’t get oN with it. I have been using it with volumio (which I don’t like) and I now have a small collection of dead micro sd cards, because the Rpi seems to kill them! I have a bundle of new ones ready to go, like consumables!

So given that many of you are convinced of its merit as a consumer streamer , can you bring me back into the Rpi club by suggesting a good app to run on the Rpi?

one user interface I have tried and liked is the Linn Kazoo, if that helps?

Surfparadise

Interesting chat going on here. I too am looking for a dedicated network streamer with SPDIF output. I have an Rpi3 plus Allo hat, but so far I don’t get oN with it. I have been using it with volumio (which I don’t like) and I now have a small collection of dead micro sd cards, because the Rpi seems to kill them! I have a bundle of new ones ready to go, like consumables!

So given that many of you are convinced of its merit as a consumer streamer , can you bring me back into the Rpi club by suggesting a good app to run on the Rpi?

a bad power supply could kill sd card

roog

Forum Donor
Oh, why is that? When I do get it running, it works ok.

i have had the mains go off a couple of times, would that cause a problem?

Surfparadise

Oh, why is that? When I do get it running, it works ok.

i have had the mains go off a couple of times, would that cause a problem?

could be as well. I had a Chinese power supply low quality.... and I ‘burn’ 2 SD in 3 months

roog

Forum Donor
That’s interesting, perhaps I should get an alternative PSU. Assuming I resolve my power issue, is there a better way of operating the Rpi than the volumio application?

Surfparadise

That’s interesting, perhaps I should get an alternative PSU. Assuming I resolve my power issue, is there a better way of operating the Rpi than the volumio application?

I don’t know, it’s one of the most popular for this purpose....
I’m using heos by denon right now... and on the paper arylic board are quite similar

The Allo (RPi based) streamer I have been looking at has Moode Audio as the default and Volumio as another option. You might look at that: https://moodeaudio.org/ I have not used it yet, so don't have an opinion, I am thinking of upgrading from my Chromecast Audio.

mikeburns

I use Moode audio and it is really great. I have updated my hard drive with new files countless times over the last couple of months. The only issues I have had is it not recognising my dac (my fault, need to have the dac with the input switched to USB when you boot up the rpi so moode recognises it) and it not connecting to my network randomly (fixed with a reboot of my router). Other than that it has been all plain sailing. I fully recommend moode!

ScofieldKid

Would an iPad not do all this stuff ? (I'm askin', cuz it seems like a huge advantage to have the display / touch input ) I have connected some DACs to iPads, but I'm not sure about the software side of this...

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor

I've not heard about it killing µSD cards. Have you tried reformatting them in a computer? I've tried various OSes on 3 different cards with no problems (other than initially trying to use an inadequate USB PS). FWIW I've settled on Volumio, mostly controlled via its web interface. I've tried Kazoo but couldn't see any great advantages.

roog

Forum Donor
I've not heard about it killing µSD cards. Have you tried reformatting them in a computer? I've tried various OSes on 3 different cards with no problems (other than initially trying to use an inadequate USB PS). FWIW I've settled on Volumio, mostly controlled via its web interface. I've tried Kazoo but couldn't see any great advantages.

I have tried reformatting A couple of them, but the computer won’t allow it.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
There are a whole load of alternatives to Volumio, so there's a fair chance you can find one that works more to your liking. This isn't an exhaustive list - a web search will probably find you a few more.
  • Moode
  • Rune
  • PiCorePlayer
  • Pi MusicBox
  • OpenELEC
  • LibreELEC
  • Max2play

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
There are a whole load of alternatives to Volumio, so there's a fair chance you can find one that works more to your liking. This isn't an exhaustive list - a web search will probably find you a few more.
  • Moode
  • Rune
  • PiCorePlayer
  • Pi MusicBox
  • OpenELEC
  • LibreELEC
  • Max2play
You can also include OSMC.

roog

Forum Donor
  • Moode
  • Rune
  • PiCorePlayer
  • Pi MusicBox
  • OpenELEC
  • LibreELEC
  • Max2play
Many thanks, will check these out.

roog

Forum Donor
Stupid suggestion, but just in case...you haven't accidentally moved the Protect switch on the side?

I wish it was, they all seem to default to 32mb capacity, and if you do manage to refomat That’s their new capacity.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
I wish it was, they all seem to default to 32mb capacity, and if you do manage to refomat That’s their new capacity.
It sounds like your computer is only showing you the boot partition, probably because it doesn't recognise the linux-native file system format on the main partition that's filling the rest of the card. The imaging tools (dd, Etcher or equivalent) should still be able to write to the whole card if you want to reinstall player software. Similarly a partition management tool like Windows 10's Disk Manager should be able to see the other partiton and delete, resize, reformat etc. so that you can use it as a normal card again.

If the cards are really damaged you can probably still use them for a client-only PiCorePlayer installation. It's very small so there's a good chance it'll fit in before the damaged part, and it rarely writes to the card.

Top Bottom