• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best value streamer with no DAC

Gekel

The Raspberry Pi 3 playing to the USB DAC is indeed "clean"; as in just as noise-free and "bit-perfect" as other computer-based servers sending to a good asynchronous DAC’.

You can call me dumb. I should have known this much earlier, but I forgot to have a look the used data transfer protocol (= how DSD encodes audio/sound) to realize that any of the claims with "darker background" or "deeper bass" are crappy claims which are based on thinking in an analog way while we are dealing with digital data.

I can try to explain it if needed.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You can call me dumb. I should have known this much earlier, but I forgot to have a look the used data transfer protocol (= how DSD encodes audio/sound) to realize that any of the claims with "darker background" or "deeper bass" are crappy claims which are based on thinking in an analog way while we are dealing with digital data.

Many have been there, myself included :)

D

Deleted member 24508

Taken literally your statement is untrue. One can absolutely rely, entirely on proper measurements of a dac, amplifier or other electronics to predict how it will behave in use. For example, there is absolutely nothing that listening will tell you about the sound related performance of a purifi amplifier that cannot be understood from its published measurements. This is so obvious to anyone with a basic understanding of electronics that it’s tiresome to point it out. It’s like having to explain what will happen when an apple is dropped from a tree. It’s a fully resolved issue, a solved problem, a problem not worth discussing.
How it behaves to electrical impulses may well not be predictive of how it sounds.

However it is not what technology is used so much as how it is applied. I listened to Raspberry Pi players before buying a microrendu. The difference is more than noticeable.

Gekel

How it behaves to electrical impulses may well not be predictive of how it sounds.

However it is not what technology is used so much as how it is applied. I listened to Raspberry Pi players before buying a microrendu. The difference is more than noticeable.

did you use the same output (SPDIF/USB) on both system? Because if it's the case, the sound is identical.

D

Deleted member 24508

did you use the same output (SPDIF/USB) on both system? Because if it's the case, the sound is identical.
Electrical current does not travel done wires in 1's and 0's. It travels as an approximation of 1's and 0's that is very dependant upon jitter and timing.

D

Deleted member 24508

No it doesn't not by a far margin.
Sorry lost your logic if a RaspPi must sound the same as a MicroRendu why does it matter if using USB or Spdif? If 1's are 1's and 0's are 0's in your logic surely transporting them down a wire should make no difference? After all there is wire in components in each of the RaspPI / MR?

Bamyasi

Electrical current does not travel done wires in 1's and 0's. It travels as an approximation of 1's and 0's that is very dependant upon jitter and timing.
These approximations are fully controlled and corrected for in hardware and in firmware and our whole modern civilization relies on this control for billions of its computers to work years after years non stop 24/7 flawlessly and now you are saying that a meager network player can't transfer its digital signal from A to B without errors?? This is one ridiculous statement. It is actually much more absurd than claiming the Earth is flat. After all, very few people actually been in space up until today yet billions of us use computers every day. Go tell your bank that your last CC transaction was due to jitter on their network and then come back to us and post here what will be their response.

hmscott

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi, looking for a streamer without a DAC to pair with a Topping D90.
Budget is under $500-1000, and I'm prepared to by-pass the on-board DAC if no pure streamers are available.
I need wireless connection to my network, bit perfect
I wish to stream high rez.
Any suggestion would be appreciated.
Thanks
Craig
Because so many use their PC/Laptop or phone / tablet for streaming, it looks like the choices have dwindled since I looked a while back...

The Audiolab 6000 is $599, but only has Optical / Coax output:
6000N Play – audiolab
Audiolab 6000N Wi-Fi Audio Streaming Player/Internet Tuner - Black
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WSSCPDT

Amazon.com: Cambridge Audio CXN V2 Stereo Network Streamer - All-in-One Wireless Media Streaming with WiFi (Lunar Grey): Home Audio & Theater $1099

There are more much more expensive units....

For my own use I use my FiiO M15 and PC output via USB to my D90 MQA + Xduoo TA-20 / A90, and sometimes I will connect via BT from the M15 or PC to the D90 MQA BT.

What service(s) are you looking for to stream from the Network Streamer?

I am looking for a Video Streamer -Roku Ultra 4k right now - as at 4k not much supports a 4k monitor connected to a PC.

Otherwise, my Samsung S20 Ultra and S6 tablet, more often my M15, and mostly my PC are for Tidal, Amazon Music HD, Youtube Music streaming. :)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 24508

These approximations are fully controlled and corrected for in hardware and in firmware and our whole modern civilization relies on this control for billions of its computers to work years after years non stop 24/7 flawlessly and now you are saying that a meager network player can't transfer its digital signal from A to B without errors?? This is one ridiculous statement. It is actually much more absurd than claiming the Earth is flat. After all, very few people actually been in space up until today yet billions of us use computers every day. Go tell your bank that your last CC transaction was due to jitter on their network and then come back to us and post here what will be their response.
So why does it matter if the data is sent via USB or SPDIF? Of course you are correct for discrete data, where the data can be totally reconstructed when transferred between devices and reproduced exactly as sent. In this case you send a bank account balance of $1000, this converted to an electronic emulation of 0’s and 1’s and sent as a current. To do this is deconstructed and reconstructed. So the reconstructed data is not $999.99 or $1000.01. Great. Jitter or clocking makes no difference unless extremely maladjusted. However in music it is not just the data that matters it is the rate at which the data is processed and reconstructed. If this has jitter or other clocking issues it affects the output. That is why manufacturers of hi fi bother about and why macintosh don’t.

Bamyasi

...However in music it is not just the data that matters it is the rate at which the data is processed and reconstructed. If this has jitter or other clocking issues it affects the output. That is why manufacturers of hi fi bother about and why macintosh don’t.
It only matters when DIGITAL signal is being converted to ANALOG one (and vice versa, to slightly lesser extent). You were talking in your post about "approximate" ones and zeroes traveling across the network being affected by jitter. This is not true, there is no issue in transmitting and storing DIGITAL information, unless of course your computer is broken.

The difference between S/PDIF (as well as HDMI) and USB protocols is not in their intrinsic error rates, it actually arises at the receiving end, i.e. at the MCU chip which converts digital stream into analog signal, or to another digital protocol (I2S) to route it to a codec. This involves synchronization of two clocks (master and slave ones, sorry for using politically incorrect terminology) which is a tricky operation and potentially can create jitter. Once again, there is no jitter within digital domain, only when signal traverses into analog domain.

USB audio is easier to implement because of asynchronous mode, which automatically reclocks incoming signal using slave's clock instead of extracting embedded master's clock from the signal itself and then reclocking it to the slave's clock. In modern electronics, however, both types of protocols (embedded clock and serial async) are completely solved designs, done deal. That said, there are still tons of OEMs which simply does not care about audio and use cheap MCUs unsuitable for digital audio. Quite commonly found in computer motherboards and various embedded devices, including mobile phones. To be fair, such devices usually do not claim having any HiFi audio capabilities.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 24508

It only matters when DIGITAL signal is being converted to ANALOG one (and vice versa, to slightly lesser extent). You were talking in your post about "approximate" ones and zeroes traveling across the network being affected by jitter. This is not true, there is no issue in transmitting and storing DIGITAL information, unless of course your computer is broken.

The difference between S/PDIF (as well as HDMI) and USB protocols is not in their intrinsic error rates, it actually arises at the receiving end, i.e. at the MCU chip which converts digital stream into analog signal, or to another digital protocol (I2S) to route it to a codec. This involves synchronization of two clocks (master and slave ones, sorry for using politically incorrect terminology) which is a tricky operation and potentially can create jitter. Once again, there is no jitter within digital domain, only when signal traverses into analog domain.

USB audio is easier to implement because of asynchronous mode, which automatically reclocks incoming signal using slave's clock instead of extracting embedded master's clock from the signal itself and then reclocking it to the slave's clock. In modern electronics, however, both types of protocols (embedded clock and serial async) are completely solved designs, done deal. That said, there are still tons of OEMs which simply does not care about audio and use cheap MCUs unsuitable for digital audio. Quite commonly found in computer motherboards and various embedded devices, including mobile phones. To be fair, such devices usually do not claim having any HiFi audio capabilities.
So lets see if I can get this, USB and SPDIF make bits sound different because of their differing technology but a RaspPi and a Microrendu must make bits sound the same despite their differing technology.

Bamyasi

So lets see if I can get this, USB and SPDIF make bits sound different because of their differing technology but a RaspPi and a Microrendu must make bits sound the same despite their differing technology.
Exactly, the only thing that matters is the target, i.e., DAC you feed your signal into using USB or S/PDIF and its implementation of these protocols in receiver MCUs, quality of power supply filtering and regulators, etc. These are all important/critical design details. But source of the digital signal does not matter as long as it only transfers digital signal.

D

Deleted member 24508

Exactly, the only thing that matters is the target, i.e., DAC you feed your signal into using USB or S/PDIF and its implementation of these protocols in receiver MCUs, quality of power supply filtering and regulators, etc. These are all important/critical design details. But source of the digital signal does not matter as long as it only transfers digital signal.
But clearly from your own statement the DAC is not the thing that influences the sound of the chain, if that were so it will make no difference how the signal gets to the DAC be it USB or SPDIF. Do you know the difference between a RASPPI and a mR? An mR is a reclocker and galvanic separator it does the very things you say make a difference between a USB and a sprig connector?

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

If you read around this forum you will see this issue discussed ad infinitum. The entire scientific literature relating to the behaviour of electronics, human hearing and cognitive neuroscience says that you are mistaken. :)

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In other words, what you have done is the precise analogue of looking up at the night sky, observing the stars to revolve around you, deducing that the entire universe orbits the earth and then marching off to tell the MIT Klavi institute that they are completely wrong.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

D

Deleted member 24508

If you read around this forum you will see this issue discussed ad infinitum. The entire scientific literature relating to the behaviour of electronics, human hearing and cognitive neuroscience says that you are mistaken. :)
No it doesn't it goes into great detail about there being no measurable difference that can be heard for file sizes above CD quality. I am not disputing this information. I have not read anywhere that because the measured output of device A is the same as device B that they must therefore sound the same. That has nothing to do with bitrates.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No it doesn't it goes into great detail about there being no measurable difference that can be heard for file sizes above CD quality. I am not disputing this information. I have not read anywhere that because the measured output of device A is the same as device B that they must therefore sound the same. That has nothing to do with bitrates.
If we are talking about the performance of the specific device and excluding all factors external to it then that is absolutely what is demonstrated by objective measurement of SINAD, IMD etc. A conclusion based on scientifically robust methods does precisely what you say it doesn’t. I’m taking what you are saying as being in good faith i.e that you genuinely do feel that there are properties of a signal that are both relevant to what can be heard by a human and cannot be measured with current technology or knowledge. What exact property are you suggesting the entire body of knowledge on electrical engineering, sound physics, audiology and cognitive neuroscience is ignorant of? :)

D

Deleted member 24508

If we are talking about the performance of the specific device and excluding all factors external to it then that is absolutely what is demonstrated by objective measurement of SINAD, IMD etc. A conclusion based on scientifically robust methods does precisely what you say it doesn’t. I’m taking what you are saying as being in good faith i.e that you genuinely do feel that there are properties of a signal that are both relevant to what can be heard by a human and cannot be measured with current technology or knowledge. What exact property are you suggesting the entire body of knowledge on electrical engineering, sound physics, audiology and cognitive neuroscience is ignorant of? :)
What it sounds like perhaps?

Top Bottom