• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best value DAC/Amp combo? For mixing/producing music on PC please and thanks.

x-dfo

Hi,
I'm looking for a smallish (hopefully) DAC/Amp combo to power studio headphones (in this case mainly the sony mdr-7520s but looking to get very good open back headphones soon). A usb connection would be necessary I think.

I'm looking for something uncoloured and as accurate as possible in a sub-300ish cost package.

Cheers,

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Most pros will tell you not to mix on headphones. This is from Recording Magazine's Readers Submission column:
As those of you who have followed this column for any length of time can attest, headphone mixing is one of the big no-no's around these parts. In our humble opinion, headphone mixes do not translate well in the real world, period, end of story. Other than checking for balance issues and the occasional hunting down of little details, they are tools best left for the tracking process.

And an opposing opinion also from Recording Magazine:
Can I mix on headphones?

No. But in all seriousness, headphones can be a secret weapon and it really doesn’t matter what they sound like…

Over time, after constantly listening back to my work from different studios on those headphones I really started to learn them. They became sort of a compass. Wherever I went… It became a pattern for me to reference these headphones to see if what I was hearing was “right”…

I learned them, I knew them, I trusted them. It didn’t matter whether or not I loved them…

So, can you mix on headphones? Probably. I just think you really need to put some time into learning them first…

Mark Hornsby
Recording Magazine, March 2020

OP
X

x-dfo

Most pros will tell you not to mix on headphones. This is from Recording Magazine's Readers Submission column:

And an opposing opinion also from Recording Magazine:

Oh I'm well aware of the pros and cons :) I am in a community of producers who do both, I still check mixes on speakers but I find tracking and sound design much easier on headphones.

Blake Klondike

Forum Donor
Oh I'm well aware of the pros and cons :) I am in a community of producers who do both, I still check mixes on speakers but I find tracking and sound design much easier on headphones.
What kind of monitors do you use?

Human Bass

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The EX5 with a very decent amp and xlr outs is hard to beat.

Blake Klondike

Forum Donor
I use the same approach-- I find it easier to work with panning, etc. in headphones, too. Then the challenge is to make it sound in the real world like it does on your headphones

OP
X

x-dfo

I use the same approach-- I find it easier to work with panning, etc. in headphones, too. Then the challenge is to make it sound in the real world like it does on your headphones
I use a plugin called RealPhones which is similar to can opener or sonarworks. It's not perfect (I don't think any of these binaural/psychoacoustic solutions are), but it helps a ton for eliminating that kind of sound confusion stereo in headphones can cause, especially for figuring out reverb.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
X

x-dfo

If you don't need balanced output for speakers (there are unbalanced preamp outs), JDS Labs Atom stack for $210. Easily arguable to be noise and distortion-free within the range of human hearing, and it will drive 99% of headphones.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/jds-labs-atom-dac-review.23701/

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ents-of-new-jds-labs-atom-headphone-amp.5262/

I think it would be ok, the cords would not be over 9 feet.

OP
X

x-dfo

FirstLegion

I'm a ghost producer and mastering engineer - 25 years. Geshelli Labs Erish Balanced headphone amp with the Geshelli Labs JNOG DAC. Nothing better you can get, in my opinion...and for the money, it doesn't even make sense it's so FANTASTIC!

You'll need to have balanced headphones for this configuration, though.
For mastering, I got a pair of modded Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pros (https://customcans.co.uk/s/s/index....dheadphones/balanced-beyerdynamic-dt1990.html) - balanced, with the Fit mass loading and damping kit, and the 4-pin silver Litz cable.

I grouped this with the Dekoni Audio Elite Fenestrated Sheepskin earpads. This, with the fit mass loading and damping kit, smoothed out the stabbing treble.

I then sent the headphones, cable and ear pad combo together to SonarWorks for a custom headphone calibration VST plugin - to totally flatten the eq curve.

I have never heard the equal to this setup. Every track translates perfectly.

Veri

Master Contributor
I'm a ghost producer and mastering engineer - 25 years. Geshelli Labs Erish Balanced headphone amp with the Geshelli Labs JNOG DAC. Nothing better you can get, in my opinion...and for the money, it doesn't even make sense it's so FANTASTIC!

For mastering, I got a pair of modded Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pros (https://customcans.co.uk/s/s/index....dheadphones/balanced-beyerdynamic-dt1990.html) - balanced, with the Fit mass loading and damping kit, and the 4-pin silver Litz cable.

I grouped this with the Dekoni Audio Elite Fenestrated Sheepskin earpads. This, with the fit mass loading and damping kit, smoothed out the stabbing treble.

I then sent the headphones, cable and ear pad combo together to SonarWorks for a custom headphone calibration VST plugin - to totally flatten the eq curve.

Nice set-up :)! But.. silver litz? :facepalm:

OP
X

x-dfo

Haha thanks for the detailed setup - good to know people are doing good things with can setups :)

Top Bottom