• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best value advice: DAC + amplifier or Integrated amplifier (RME ADI-2 DAC FS + Neurochrome modulus 286) Vs Rotel RA-1592MKII

AlexDD

Hi guys,

As the title indicates, I am wondering what is the best deal for me. I can buy the RME ADI-2 DAC FS + Neurochrome modulus 286 for about $4200 (CA) or I can buy the Rotel RA-1592MKII for about $3K. I have no idea how the RME DAC + Neurochrome amplifier will sound but I have listened to the RA-1592MKII which I like.
I love the idea of having two separated devices that can be upgraded and/or replaced if my needs or the technology change but the price is a lot and it would be my endgame HiFi system. There are no measurements by Amir for the RA-1592MKII but I think I could buy it to save some money and spend the extra bucks to treat my audiophile nightmare rectangular room with drywalls, windows and a big alcove - where do I even start... :-( but that's a topic for another thread.
My speakers are the Sonus Faber Lumina 5 (50-300W 4 ohm).

What do you guys think?

OP
A

AlexDD

The Rotel looks nice. Have you considered getting with the times and going class D?
How important is it to go class D? Is it just to save energy?
Do you have recommendations for a powerful endgame amp class D? No ChiFi please, I want to enjoy my products in working condition for at least several years?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you in the USA? Need to get a location because it affects where one can buy gear from.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Alrighty. The USA is a likely source then. These 2 amps are stereo and are pretty nice, if you want fancy they can be anodized.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If feeling like the very best then this is it. Monoblocks.

OP
A

AlexDD

Alrighty. The USA is a likely source then. These 2 amps are stereo and are pretty nice, if you want fancy they can be anodized.
Why is the Hypex NC252MP (250W) so much cheaper than the Neurochrome-Modulus 286, even with currency conversion? Is the quality a little lower or a lot?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Why is the Hypex NC252MP (250W) so much cheaper than the Neurochrome-Modulus 286, even with currency conversion? Is the quality a little lower or a lot?
The Hypex is the better purchase. More power. Lots more power. Quality is good on each I would hope. Hypex does very well. I know very little about the Modulus 286

OP
A

AlexDD

I don't understand your query.
It's ok, I'll ask the manufacturer the same question "Why is the Hypex NC252MP (250W) so much cheaper than the Neurochrome-Modulus 286, even with currency conversion? Is the quality a little lower or a lot?" and I think I should get an answer that I will post here. There should be a lot of information about the Modulus 286.
I have difficulties to believe both amplifier have similar quality components yet the Hypex is much cheaper and a lot more powerful, something doesn't add up here.

Last edited:

groovybassist

Forum Donor
It's ok, I'll ask the manufacturer the same question "Why is the Hypex NC252MP (250W) so much cheaper than the Neurochrome-Modulus 286, even with currency conversion? Is the quality a little lower or a lot?" and I think I should get an answer that I will post here. There should be a lot of information about the Modulus 286.
I have difficulties to believe both amplifier have similar quality components yet the Hypex is much cheaper and a lot more powerful, something doesn't add up here.
Tom has very high design and manufacturing standards for his Neurochrome components, which I’m sure plays a role in his pricing model. He’s a straight shooter and typically very responsive. More can be found about his manufacturing standards here:

https://neurochrome.com/pages/the-north-american-advantage

Mowz

If feeling like the very best then this is it. Monoblocks.
I'm running this right now with my Kef r11s. Killer!

Mowz

Just a dac - topping dm7 - because I run 4 subs with it from my pc.

Top Bottom