• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best under-the-computer-screen speaker options

ansx

As the title says I am currently looking for under-the-computer-screen speaker(s) options.
I have a 24" arm-mounted screen so the whole area under it is available.
I also have some space for a sub-woofer as long as it is slim and preferably wireless.
Main usage would be listening to music while working and watching the occasional video/series/movie.

Requirements:
  • Stereo: no mono center speaker
  • One of:
    • Analog input: RCA and/or 3.5mm jack, doesn't matter
    • Digital input: optical coax
  • Budget is around $300-500, could go up to $600 for something amazing.
  • The space for the speakers and possibly desktop amp is W23" x H6.5" x D6.5" or W58.5cm x H16.5cm x D16.5cm
  • The space for the possible sub-woofer is narrow, so W8" or W20cm max

So far I tried:
  • Marshall Killburn: had one available, used it for a few months while waiting for a permanent solution. Quality is amazing for the price and volume but it's a mono unit which makes watching videos a pain.
  • Sony's HT-MT300 soundbar with wireless sub: fits the place nicely but my unit was defective (left channel had permanent noise) and I wasn't very pleased with the "narrow" sound
Possible candidates:
  • ELAC Discovery Z3: comes at a premium and has a lot of features I don't need (all the streaming stuff basicaly)
  • Polk Audio MagniFi Mini: not sure what to think, has a lot of features I don't need
  • Sony HT-S200F: do I still trust Sony?
  • KLH Ames: can be used horizontally with a desktop amp fitting in between
  • Razer Leviathan: not a big fan of gaming-oriented gear but it does fit all the requirements

It is a home office setup so I definitely prefer sound quality over volume, no need to fill the entire room.
Are sound bars a good option when listening from so close?
And more importantly: do you guys know about better options?

Jaimo

I haven't had much luck with sound bars. My preference would be for a good small near field monitor. JBL LSR 305s are a good bet but you will need a DAC as well.

What's the analog input for?

bigx5murf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
That is very little space to work with. Probably too small for any powered monitors. I think my old 2.1 system would fit, the Swan m10. It's decent for what it cost. But it is a very entry level product.

OP
A

ansx

Hi everyone,

I found out about the Kanto SYD shortly after posting here. I wasn't sure what to expect but decided to give it a try, thanks to Amazon Prime and free returns policy.
It is perfectly sized without the stand and has an amazing sound, much better than what I was expecting to get in such a small form factor.
The auto-standby feature is amazing when using it as computer speakers, and the volume knob is properly positioned.
Bonus "feature": although I find the bass pretty good already, I could add a Kanto Sub6 subwoofer, which would also fit in my space, using the dedicated sub-out.
All in all after a few days I am perfectly happy with it, it is way better than most 2.0/2.1 computer speakers I tested so far, and looks amazing too.

Top Bottom