• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best true wireless? (or value IEM)

Lttlwing16

Forum Donor
Wanted to circle back and say I picked up the Soundcore Life A1's for under $50 as a pair of workout buds. They are much more comfortable than the Earfun Air Pro 2's I sent back, and offer 3 generic EQ settings. Initial listening to some of my reference tracks things sound good/satisfactory for running/working out which will be their primary function. I like they have a physical button on each bud instead of capacitive feedback controls.

If these don't satisfy after a couple days will take a look at the Earfun Free Pro which are around the same price/shape but offer ANC as well.

seerious

According to Sean Olive, the new JBL Club Pro+ is tuned extremely close to the latest harman curve.

I'd buy a pair if I didn't have TWS sets coming out of my ears.

lordhumungous

I ended up with the Sony WF-1000XM4. With the treble boost preset and pulling down 16k it's pretty good on Harman target.
These earbuds are the best wireless earbuds Ive heard and thats with using Apple Music and a current iphone. I was a little shocked at the audio quality as I generally hate any bluetooth headphones or earbuds.
And thats coming from a Dan Clark, Moondrop and Sennheiser hd800s fan.

D!sco

Has anyone tried the Fiio UTWS3? Kinda considering the 0.78mm (or MMCX with adapters, which are better?) with a pair of Moondrop B2 Dusk.
I had this exact combo and returned the UTWS3. Bluetooth through the blessings is hardly different than my airpods. Really disappointing. They're slightly bassier, and they have a decent seal, but they're not a replacement for a proper set of purpose built wireless buds. There's no depth to the bass. It's just a bit of thump, not the beautiful subsonic tones you can get wired. I can't even blame FIIO, but the product is also large and clunky. Comfortable enough when on, but the interface is still a major compromise. The buttons always dangled over the back of my head uncomfortably. Maybe you'll have a different experience with that.

The Blessing 2 Dusks are still my favorite headphone I own. It really feels like having a 4-way tower monitor in my head. I chose them over the Sundaras because of mobility and dual home/travel use. Compared to open back planars they can sound just as airy and bassy with a slight EQ, not that they require it for proper listening. They do not replace ANC buds, though. That was a disappointing discovery. Still waiting on Airpod Pros at $150 or less.

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There are major differences in terms of fit in the ear canal? The Sens provide 4 silicone adapters and the Sony just one. What is your experience on this? Thanks!

OP
edahl

edahl

There are major differences in terms of fit in the ear canal? The Sens provide 4 silicone adapters and the Sony just one. What is your experience on this? Thanks!
I wore out the foam tips for my XM4 in about a week, maybe two. I'm using some random tips I had from a pair of BL05 which happen to fit superbly; the box accommodates them without issue.

OP
edahl

edahl

Ohh I see, generic ones. I didn't think about this. :)
Note that apparently space for different tips can apparently be an issue with some TWS, therefore for instance Dekoni makes dedicated TWS tips that should fit in any box. I like deeper tips of that's not for me, so I'm glad the XM4 box has plenty of space!

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Note that apparently space for different tips can apparently be an issue with some TWS, therefore for instance Dekoni makes dedicated TWS tips that should fit in any box. I like deeper tips of that's not for me, so I'm glad the XM4 box has plenty of space!
I was considering this Comply.

karthik7000

I'm between the new Sony WF-C500 and Sennheiser CX True Wireless. What do you think? I always tend to think that the sens will sound better... It's for a gift and I don't have any experience with wireless earbuds and I'm driving blind...
Comparing with price sony wf c500 is far better than sennheiser cx. The DSEE technology serves high frequency sound rather than sennhesier cx

Attachments

• dsee tech.png
    dsee tech.png
    31.4 KB · Views: 49

apharma

Not sure on what the rules are on necro threads but I can see some talk about the wf-1000XM4 and tips.

For me the Sony tips are in a world of their own being a hybrid silicon covered memory foam. I have small canals so the small size is exactly what I need. If you wear them out you can contact Sony Central Service and order new ones, was £5 a pair + £2.50 postage. Expensive so I'm taking better care of them now but I also ordered 3.

I also bought some sonicfoam tips to try out, fairly cheap and all in all a good replacement as they are memory foam like the Sony tips, but their small size was as big as the Sony medium tips which was a no deal for me. Otherwise I would have stuck with a 3rd party tip manufacturer.

From my perspective some general advise about true wireless iems:

Audio is obviously going to be a priority but you can only expect so much as there will be (even with ANC) a lot of background noise for your use case, this should be on par with or maybe a little less of a priority to feature set and battery life. For me the 8 hours on time (24hrs total) with fast charging, great ANC, speak to chat and other features put the Sony at number 1. I need something that I can have on from 6:30am till 1-2pm when I have lunch to cut out the commute and office, that will charge in just over 1 hour and be good for the rest of the day and commute home which is about 4 hours.

For someone with a short or quiet commute that doesn't need to use them for a noisy office or that may not require as many features other options might be a better fit and give you as good an experience as some of the top brands will at a fraction of the price to boot.

Peluvius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
After a few days of listening my new wireless daily driver will be the new AirPod pro 2. Using an Apple source and spatial audio it beats my Sony XM4s comfortably. If Apple come up with a lossless streaming technology, they will wipe the floor….

OP
edahl

edahl

I lost the XM4 and after a few months I ended up pre-ordering the Buds 2 Pro. Their tonality is very good; I don't miss my Variations when running around with them.

lordhumungous

After a few days of listening my new wireless daily driver will be the new AirPod pro 2. Using an Apple source and spatial audio it beats my Sony XM4s comfortably. If Apple come up with a lossless streaming technology, they will wipe the floor….
Well your comment surprises me . They don’t have lossless yet either which would be the killer feature I expected .
How’s the volume . Can they get loud ?

Peluvius

Forum Donor
Well your comment surprises me . They don’t have lossless yet either which would be the killer feature I expected .
How’s the volume . Can they get loud ?

What do you find surprising?

I generally have them about half of the volume slider, it is a little different between my Macbook and my iPhone & iPad. I don't like listening too loud, generally 70 to 80 db would be good for me.

lordhumungous

What do you find surprising?

I generally have them about half of the volume slider, it is a little different between my Macbook and my iPhone & iPad. I don't like listening too loud, generally 70 to 80 db would be good for me.
That they sound better than the xm4’s . The first AirPods most certainly did not.

Peluvius

Forum Donor
That they sound better than the xm4’s . The first AirPods most certainly did not.

The spatial feature is something i really like. It opens the soundstage up and focusses it at the same time, it is quite surprising to me (in a good way). The spatial feature does not seem to work properly with Atmos. Most of my gear is Apple, I might think differently if I was an android fan.

antoninomubarik

I'm considering a pair of true wireless earbuds for commuting. What would you snaptube vidmate get? Looking at the Sony WF-1000XM4, the Sennheiser Momentum 2 True Wireless and the Spark in particular.

Alternatively, since I have a bluetooth dongle, what's a decent IEM in the same price range as a decent tw bud? (say, the IE 300)
I bought them and the Sparks at near the same time, and the Moondrops just couldn't compete.

Dopus

Need advice.
My budget for TWS are around 100-120USD
I have today a set of Supra Neo-TX. But i think the sound quality is not good enought for what you pay. to much bass, to much trebble, muffled midtones.

I am looking for a set with better sound quality...on a budget (xm4 , momentum tw3 etc. is to pricy)
I have done a bit of research my self, and within my budget i can get :
Sony xm3 (on sale for around 90 USD)
Sennheizer cx plus ( around 100 usd)
Anker sound core liberty 3 (a bit to expensive but mabye they will be on sale ...black friday ...... they are about 130 usd

Open for suggestions and of course some feedback on the TWS bud i have "found" :)

Top Bottom