• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best Topping L30 alternative for equivalent or better SE output

Bjpenn88

Forum Donor
Hi all, was wanting to buy a Topping L30 but very unsure to proceed due to the issues with 2012 serial numbers and below, and not sure if I can get the correct version. I am wondering what alternative headphone amplifier has equivalent SE output quality and power at similar or slightly higher price? I was thinking JDS atom but read the output is not as great as the L30 and it has a light plastic case compared to aluminium. Also the Topping A50s does not have equivalent SE output. I will eventually be looking to drive Dan Clark Audio Ether CX headphones and the like. Thank you

OP
B

Bjpenn88

Forum Donor
Schiit Heresy is cheaper(if you live in the usa) but just as good.
Thanks, I am in Australia where the Heresy is available for not much more, but unfortunately it is out of stock with no ETA at the moment

3125b

Major Contributor
The Atom is just as audibly transparent as the L30 is, the only audible difference might be down at 10mVrms or so given the fact that the L30 (limited by the analyzer in Amirs testing @50mVrms) is even less noisy than the already very good Atom (92dB SINAD @50mVrms) wich itself performs better than almost all amps tested, including ones for several thousand dollars. The L30 is slightly more powerful, however only about half as powerful as the Atom with a 2Vrms line input because of the 3x high gain. Also, it features a -9.9dB low gain for better volume control, the Atom really benefits from a DAC with volume control,to avoid audible channel imbalance at the lowest levels (I run it with an E30 for example).

But of course this is all irrelevant, you could buy a L30 right now from any of Toppings approved retailers and be sure to get a fixed version, just not any questionable eBay sellers etc.
If you wait a little, the 21XX versions should be available.

OP
B

Bjpenn88

Forum Donor
The Atom is just as audibly transparent as the L30 is, the only audible difference might be down at 10mVrms or so given the fact that the L30 (limited by the analyzer in Amirs testing @50mVrms) is even less noisy than the already very good Atom (92dB SINAD @50mVrms) wich itself performs better than almost all amps tested, including ones for several thousand dollars. The L30 is slightly more powerful, however only about half as powerful as the Atom with a 2Vrms line input because of the 3x high gain. Also, it features a -9.9dB low gain for better volume control, the Atom really benefits from a DAC with volume control,to avoid audible channel imbalance at the lowest levels (I run it with an E30 for example).

But of course this is all irrelevant, you could buy a L30 right now from any of Toppings approved retailers and be sure to get a fixed version, just not any questionable eBay sellers etc.
If you wait a little, the 21XX versions should be available.

Thank you for replying. I am not sure what you mean that the L30 is slightly more powerful than the Atom, but only half as powerful as the Atom with 2Vrms line. I would be running either a Motu M2 DAC or Topping E30 DAC. Would the Atom Amp or the L30 have higher/cleaner power?

I was lucky and managed to find a local retailer here in Australia that was able to confirm that they have the 2101/2102 serial versions so I have an L30 on the way

3125b

Major Contributor
Well, the L30 has an input sensitivity of 3V for high gain, meaning it can reach its full output only with 3V line input. Most DACs provide somewhere around 2V for unbalanced connections, so the L30 would reach 6V output. The Atom has a 4.5x high gain, meaning it can reach its full 8.7V output level with 2.1V input.
The E30 DAC puts out 2.1V, the Motu M2 slightly more at 2.6V (if I remember right that is, you should check that), so it would give you a bit more power.
That being said - it probably doesn‘t matter unless you happen to have some very inefficient headphones. All common model will require nowhere near that voltage level even for dangerously loud listening levels, quite a few headphones will be destroyed long before the amp runs out of steam. Have a look at solderdudes table: https://diyaudioheaven.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/headphone-power-table-2.pdf
A fixed L30 is a great choice for sure. Don‘t mind all this theory crafting, it will be perfectly fine.

OP
B

Bjpenn88

Forum Donor
Well, the L30 has an input sensitivity of 3V for high gain, meaning it can reach its full output only with 3V line input. Most DACs provide somewhere around 2V for unbalanced connections, so the L30 would reach 6V output. The Atom has a 4.5x high gain, meaning it can reach its full 8.7V output level with 2.1V input.
The E30 DAC puts out 2.1V, the Motu M2 slightly more at 2.6V (if I remember right that is, you should check that), so it would give you a bit more power.
That being said - it probably doesn‘t matter unless you happen to have some very inefficient headphones. All common model will require nowhere near that voltage level even for dangerously loud listening levels, quite a few headphones will be destroyed long before the amp runs out of steam. Have a look at solderdudes table: https://diyaudioheaven.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/headphone-power-table-2.pdf
A fixed L30 is a great choice for sure. Don‘t mind all this theory crafting, it will be perfectly fine.

Thank you! I think I understand now. My take on this is there are some technical differences between the two L30 and Atom on paper, however in real-world use, unless using very inefficient headphones, they should hopefully be minor. I was leaning towards the Atom, however, the Topping L30 is not much more expensive, has gain switching options and a heavier aluminium case so I decided to run with it instead.

3125b

Major Contributor
Yes, the L30 does offer some nice features. The 1/3x, 1x and 3x voltage gain settings are nice in that they make the analog volume control much more precise. A big advantage for me would be the switch for pra- and headphone amp functionality, unplugging it every time from the Atom is not great.
For size comparison here is a picture of my stack, an E30 (same size als L30) atop an Atom amp:
IMG20210205204525_00.jpg (they are exactly the same depth)

If you can get a fixed L30 for about the same price of an Atom, the L30 seems like the logical choice, it would be the one I'd take too,

naviivan

Thanks, I am in Australia where the Heresy is available for not much more, but unfortunately it is out of stock with no ETA at the moment
I got a replacement L30 from Addicted to audio as I had a serial 2006 model. They have been great to deal with. Better than buying from overseas as you are not saving a lot of money.

OP
B

Bjpenn88

Forum Donor
I got a replacement L30 from Addicted to audio as I had a serial 2006 model. They have been great to deal with. Better than buying from overseas as you are not saving a lot of money.
Yes thats who I've ordered from as well! Agree, they have been great and I have dealt with them in the past, always good to deal with. They were the only supplier that could confirm they had the latest versions, all of the other places selling the L30 had only the older serials 2012 and older

Top Bottom