• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best Topping DAC/Amp for my Audio Technica ATH-R70x?

hey! i've been a lurker for a while but after going in circles trying to research this topic, i've decided to make an account and just ask you guys.

so i'm a total newbie to all of this. i have an ATH-R70x, and i'm currently stuck using the volume control pod for my Logitech PC speakers as an "amp" lol. obviously, i'm looking at upgrading, and have my sights set on Topping. from what i've read they're transparent, measure well, and they also look really, really cool. they're also perfectly sized; most of their products will fit perfectly on my desk.

i have a budget of about $600 CAD (roughly $450 USD). i'm looking for complete transparency, no distortion, and compatibility with 4.4mm balanced cables. i also have no preference between dac/amp combos or stacks.

what's the absolute best match for my headphones? i was interested in the a50s/d50s stack, would that be good? i'm aware that most Topping stacks/combos are totally transparent, so i guess i'm just looking for the one with the least distortion, best headroom, and best power matching.

i would really appreciate any help. thank you all in advance!!

(for reference - my headphones have an impedance of 470 ohms and a sensitivity of 99db.)

staticV3

Master Contributor
The most headroom you would get with a Topping L70 Amp and a D10s or D10 Balanced DAC.

(Though personally I'd choose an SMSL D-6 over the D10 Balanced. It's just more versatile for not much more money.)

OP

The most headroom you would get with a Topping L70 Amp and a D10s or D10 Balanced DAC.

(Though personally I'd choose an SMSL D-6 over the D10 Balanced. It's just more versatile for not much more money.)

topping l70 + smsl d-6 looks like a really nice stack. i might just end up going with that lol. thank you for the quick reply

just curious, what puts the SMSL D-6 over the topping d50s? only reason i'm asking is because i've found a really good deal on the D50s which puts it at just $130 USD for me.

thanks again

Top Bottom