• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best studio monitor for classical music for 500$

dfuller

Major Contributor
Plucked instruments sounded more correct. Not sure if it's the narrow vertical dispersion, but there might be less going on with the Adam vs the Focal reflecting off of the mixing bridge when I compared the two.
I think this may be down to the Polyglass woofer on the first generation Alphas being... not great, if I'm honest. It's an older and relatively speaking (for Focal, who have a seemingly blinder-like focus on super-low distortion) high distortion design. Either that or what you mentioned.

Anyway, OP: For headphones, HD650/HD6XX would be my choice because of the very smooth and even top end, but they lack in extreme bottom end (but this can be added via EQ). For speakers, I'm inclined to recommend the Kali IN-5 over basically anything else in this price range - though perhaps the Focal Alpha 65 Evo is decent (I've not seen any measurements of it as they're so new, however).

Last edited:
OP
S

Schubert1

Thank you guys.
Dfuller, thank you for your suggestions. Concerning headphones, of the ones I tried, AKG K-501 had unbeliveable midrange, but lacked bottom frequencies. HD600 was definetely the best overall.

:)

OP
S

Schubert1

Guys, did anyone hear RCF Ayra Pro monitors? They are affordable in Germany.

Thank you!

zachd_aus

Thanks, Stevenswall. Sound like a great piece of advice. Can I ask, why you liked T5V more than Focal?

Hi Schubert1 - I have finally signed up to the forum just so that I can repsond to your question and add whatever help I can.

I bought the Adam T5V about 2 months ago primarily for listening to classical choral music, a lot with organ. I have a few days ago swapped those out for the Adam A3X (only because I found a good deal on a second hand pair). I recommend both, but if you're still trying to choose:
- the A3X seem to me (subjectively) to be appreciably clearer especially in the mids (although that could well be confirmation bias);
- I really missed the low end when swapping down to the A3X (e.g. big pedal notes on the organ are audible, but really lack the presence that they have on the larger speakers). I expected that of course, but it is significant enough that I think I will now have to get a sub or new monitors again....

Hope that's useful information for you.

**EDIT** I just read a few posts further and saw that the organ pedal issue had been covered comprehensively. Still, my input above for what it's worth

TobyMoby

What did you buy?

In your small room with no (?) RA I would avoid 2,5m-3,00m.

Especially when you listen to classical music.

Suggestion: ca. 1m.

Coax Speakers in your budget for this distance: Fluid FX50 or JBL 104BT, powered, plus Mivoc sub.

Kind Regards

escksu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Elac debut b2?? I read very good reviews about them.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
See if you can audition the Avaton CLA-10! As though aren't exactly everyone's pair of slippers, basically improved in some aspects NS10 replicate. They are on the bright side and no one likes them much at first but they have certain quality's even for those who truly hate them. In my humble opinion those are great for vocals (especially female), string instruments, folk, jazz (basically all where they are hot) while you won't be happy with lo bass - bass modern gernes. They are about 700$ in passive form and I don't know how much active version of those (CLA-10A) cost.
As a bonus you will get to hear a lot of 80's and 90's materials in creator's form that used NS10 in mixing process.
Disclaimer: don't even consider getting those without hearing them first and giving it some time!

baroquepawel

One interesting thing, if I may.
I listened to conductor Frans Brüggen rendition of Schuberts 8. Symphony, on period instruments. I am used to period recordings, but I was struck how actually natural the timbre of instruments was. Especially woodwinds. 432Hz is the tuning of the orchestra, I believe.

Highly recommended, If someone is interested. :)
I'd love to listen, thanks for the recommendation. Which monitors did you choose, especially having period instruments in mind :) ?

avmedia

I would go with a Kali IN-5 over that. Better placement correction presets on the back. Coincident coaxial driver, and three way instead of two.

Genelec monitors really shine with their minimum diffraction coaxial drivers and GLM room calibration. Lacking both of those things, the 8020 isn't as much of a standout. The Kali IN-5 however has no competitors in the price range than have equal or better room/placement correction, port design, and coincident drivers.
for larger distance room (30',800sq ft) , any recommendations?

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Thirty feet away? You'd be looking at Genelec main monitors from their 1000 series if they even are made to go that far.

Honestly at that point I might quit the hobby since you're going to need to sacrifice everything for loudness, and to me that's not fun and doesn't sound good unless you've got mega bucks to make a fully treated room.

Not sure if there are good theaters, but every one I've been to has loudness (too much) and enough speakers and distance for good surround sound.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
More compact stage boxes or monitors 12~15" with 400~500W program @8 Ohm's and over 90 dB efficiency. Of course you would have to go with better offering available (Dynacord, EV...). Flor stand column one's with at least 2x8" and similar power rating might also work well.

avmedia

Thirty feet away? You'd be looking at Genelec main monitors from their 1000 series if they even are made to go that far.

Honestly at that point I might quit the hobby since you're going to need to sacrifice everything for loudness, and to me that's not fun and doesn't sound good unless you've got mega bucks to make a fully treated room.

Not sure if there are good theaters, but every one I've been to has loudness (too much) and enough speakers and distance for good surround sound.
20' away

avmedia

More compact stage boxes or monitors 12~15" with 400~500W program @8 Ohm's and over 90 dB efficiency. Of course you would have to go with better offering available (Dynacord, EV...). Flor stand column one's with at least 2x8" and similar power rating might also work well.
dynacord is a speaker?

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
dynacord is a speaker?
It's a firm from Germany that makes professional stage equipment including speakers, mentioned them as they had good one's (in the past) with paper cones (Foster - Fostex) which I like.

Digby

Major Contributor
I wonder if there is something of a misconception about classical music, that it is easy to reproduce. I think the opposite, that it is probably amongst the hardest music to reproduce properly; take any violin or cello concerto - to have the soloist at a 'correct' volume, you are going to need a lot of dynamic range when the orchestra comes back in after a cadenza. Electronic music may be loud and bass driven, but it doesn't have this dynamic component.

The OP might not see this again and probably has speakers already, but for what it is worth, I just don't think 5/6" driver bookshelf speakers have the surface area to handle such dynamic swings and would only recommend if they are all you can fit in your room.

avmedia

I wonder if there is something of a misconception about classical music, that it is easy to reproduce. I think the opposite, that it is probably amongst the hardest music to reproduce properly; take any violin or cello concerto - to have the soloist at a 'correct' volume, you are going to need a lot of dynamic range when the orchestra comes back in after a cadenza. Electronic music may be loud and bass driven, but it doesn't have this dynamic component.

The OP might not see this again and probably has speakers already, but for what it is worth, I just don't think 5/6" driver bookshelf speakers have the surface area to handle such dynamic swings and would only recommend if they are all you can fit in your room.
yes.

TobyMoby

You don't know classical music.

Have a ME Geithain MO-2 in 1m listening distance.

All fine for classical music.

Kind Regards

Top Bottom