• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best standing speaker for under $1500-$2000?

Gergo444

I have ELAC Uni-Fi FS U5 Slim speakers.
I thought these were the best speakers in this price range.
But after reading the review here, I think I was wrong.
Based on internet tests, however, this is a very good speaker.

What can you recommend instead? Elac DFR52 Debut Reference 3 better?

Thanks.

BN1

I have ELAC Uni-Fi FS U5 Slim speakers.
I thought these were the best speakers in this price range.
But after reading the review here, I think I was wrong.
Based on internet tests, however, this is a very good speaker.

What can you recommend instead? Elac DFR52 Debut Reference 3 better?

Thanks.
Don't let a bunch of numbers and colorful graphs dampen your listening enjoyment.

OP
G

Gergo444

Thank you for your answers. It is very strange to me that the ELAC Uni-fi series is judged bad here. There’s a test page I trust, and they think ELAC UNI-Fi is the best in the price range, you just can’t get better for that much money. I didn't find any bad reviews about it based on tests from other sites, only here on this page. I am disappointed, I really like these speakers. I do not understand.

The recommended Revel2 F35 speaker could be bought in pairs for the country where I live for 2000 euros !!!

The ELAC Uni-Fi FS U5 Slim at home for only $ 980 per pair!

Maybe they know these?
-Quadral Chromium Style 8
-Wharfedale Evo 4.4

Sorry for bad English

Alexanderc

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Just occurred to me that if you’re not in the US the Revel speakers I suggested might be substantially more expensive.

Edit: you answered my question as I was responding. ;)

More Dynamics Please

... I didn't find any bad reviews about it based on tests from other sites, only here on this page. I am disappointed, I really like these speakers. I do not understand. ...

The Uni-Fi test on this site is incomplete. There was an issue with the specific unit tested. Further testing is being done to determine if the issue is common to all Uni-Fi speakers or only the test unit. Don't give up on your Uni-Fi speakers based on incomplete test results of another Uni-Fi speaker. If you don't hear the specific issue in your Uni-Fi speakers that was heard in the tested Uni-Fi speaker then you have nothing to worry about. :)

BN1

The Uni-Fi test on this site is incomplete. There was an issue with the specific unit tested. Further testing is being done to determine if the issue is common to all Uni-Fi speakers or only the test unit. Don't give up on your Uni-Fi speakers based on incomplete test results of another Uni-Fi speaker. If you don't hear the specific issue in your Uni-Fi speakers that was heard in the tested Uni-Fi speaker then you have nothing to worry about. :)
Totally agree. Since ASR hasn't tested the original Uni-Fi and the 2.0 Uni-Fi has so many design changes I wouldn't expect the recent test to provide any useful information about the slim version anyway. The only common feature is the coaxial design and if that is a factor wouldn't the KEF coaxial speakers also be suspect ?

OP
G

Gergo444

I would be surprised if these were bad speakers
I have read about 20 different tests about them (Hungarian, Polish, English, German, etc.). They don't write anything bad.
I read all the Amazon reviews. The reviews are very good.

And in this Youtube comparison, both sound great:

(I know Youtube audition makes no sense and is not authoritative
Yes, it’s not the Slim, but the sound is basically the same, the same speakers - if I know well, correct me if I’m wrong.)

Colonel7

Totally agree. Since ASR hasn't tested the original Uni-Fi and the 2.0 Uni-Fi has so many design changes I wouldn't expect the recent test to provide any useful information about the slim version anyway. The only common feature is the coaxial design and if that is a factor wouldn't the KEF coaxial speakers also be suspect ?
Amir did test the bookshelf version of the OP's floorstander https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...s-u5-slim-3-way-coaxial-speaker-review.13735/

Daverz

Major Contributor

Yeah, I wouldn't judge a speaker by how a different one in the same lineup measures.

Soundstage has measured the Slim:

https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/i...&catid=77:loudspeaker-measurements&Itemid=153

Daverz

Major Contributor

Shazb0t

The tonality of the original Uni-Fi speakers is pretty spot on, as indicated by Amir's review here. They also have the benefit of good horizontal and vertical directivity due to the coaxial design. The issue it had was distortion spikes at the crossover points. The audibility of these spikes when listening to music at normal levels is debatable.

I'm not surprised that you enjoy the sound of your current Uni-Fi speakers. The good thing for you is that well reviewed speakers which follow the research favored by ASR should have very similar tonality to your current speakers but with lower distortion.

OP
G

Gergo444

Measurements were also performed on this page: link

Uni-Fi 2.0 : link

If I interpreted it correctly, it is written as good values in principle, but I do not understand them as I mentioned.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can you list the speakers that dealers near you carry, and will let you try at home?

OP
G

Gergo444

Can you list the speakers that dealers near you carry, and will let you try at home?

I would get these very cheaply now in action:

-Q Acoustics 3050i - $ 650 / pair
-Dali Oberon 7 - $ 900 / pair

(But I thought it was a lower category than my Elac)

-Focal Aria 926 (demonstration piece) - $ 1600 / pair

I would like to highlight the above.
Otherwise, all Elac, Focal, Canton, Q Acoustics, Quadral, Dali, Klipsch, Fyne Audio, KEF, Wharfedale, Phonar, Magnat, Heco, Polk, Jamo, Monitor Audio, B&W, Triangle, Dynaudio, Revel, Acoustic Energy are available .

For example, not available: Quad

MarcT

Forum Donor
I would get these very cheaply now in action:

-Q Acoustics 3050i - $ 650 / pair
-Dali Oberon 7 - $ 900 / pair

(But I thought it was a lower category than my Elac)

-Focal Aria 926 (demonstration piece) - $ 1600 / pair

I would like to highlight the above.
Otherwise, all Elac, Focal, Canton, Q Acoustics, Quadral, Dali, Klipsch, Fyne Audio, KEF, Wharfedale, Phonar, Magnat, Heco, Polk, Jamo, Monitor Audio, B&W, Triangle, Dynaudio, Revel, Acoustic Energy are available .

For example, not available: Quad
Wow, $900 for a pair of Dali Oberon 7 is a screaming deal. Are you sure that is $900 for a pair of them? I think they retail for $2000. I'd make sure there is nothing wrong with them. I heard the Oberon 7 at Rocky Mountain Audio Fest a couple years ago and my whole group were highly impressed at how they can rock at their price point. Totally subjective, of course. By the way, you don't point the Oberons towards you. Rather, Dali recommends they should be facing straight forward.

The Wharfedale EVO 4.4 are pretty darn good as well. I was able to evaluate the EVO 4.C center channel speaker in my A/V system for about three weeks. It seemed to be a very good center speaker to me, with good clarity with vocals and speaking voice.

Focal Aria are very good speakers, and I believe have measured out pretty well.

OP
G

Gergo444

Wow, $900 for a pair of Dali Oberon 7 is a screaming deal. Are you sure that is $900 for a pair of them? I think they retail for $2000. I'd make sure there is nothing wrong with them. I heard the Oberon 7 at Rocky Mountain Audio Fest a couple years ago and my whole group were highly impressed at how they can rock at their price point. Totally subjective, of course. By the way, you don't point the Oberons towards you. Rather, Dali recommends they should be facing straight forward.

The Wharfedale EVO 4.4 are pretty darn good as well. I was able to evaluate the EVO 4.C center channel speaker in my A/V system for about three weeks. It seemed to be a very good center speaker to me, with good clarity with vocals and speaking voice.

Focal Aria are very good speakers, and I believe have measured out pretty well.

Yes, on a website, in a weekend sale. I switched poorly and also overlooked the price.
The Oberon 7 on sale in my country now (but only on weekends, this promotion is about every 2 months) - $ 846 / pair. Unopened, brand new.
I heard the Zensor 7, I was impressed. But it's been a year. You may not like it anymore.

I'm afraid from Oberon 7 after Elac that he won't like it .. :(

The regular price for Oberon 7 in my country without a promotion is $1,106.

I could buy the Oberon 7 today if it really made sense.
After that, I would only know months later when there would be action again.

I would also like to note that I also got my ELAC Uni-Fi FS U5 Slim speakers in action: $ 976. This promotion is still running (discontinued product)

Last edited:

Raindog123

Major Contributor
For what it’s worth, my heart belongs to Wharfedales. Had four pairs over 20-something years, loved all of them. Owned some others and done a few impromptu back-to-back comparisons with my friends’ more expensive brands, with a lot of kudos to Wharefdale... I believe here Amir got his hands on and tested only a smaller bookshelf model - and even those measured great... Just my $0.02, no push. :)

Top Bottom