• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best SS amp money can buy for HD800s?

hmscott

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm getting a pair of psvane 12au7 and also a 12AT7-T-MII after the new year.
Apparently the new gen 12XX7 tubes past the MII models are the "Art series" and released for all of the 12XX7 tubes:

PSVANE Brand NEW 12AX7-S 12AU7-S 12AT7-S EL84-S ART Series Vacuum tubes 1Pair
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001204362880.html

The 12AT7/EL84 options aren't available, only the 12AU7-S and 12AX7-S, sold out till restock?

I should probably dig a bit deeper, see if there is anything on the PSVANE / Shuguang site(s).

hmscott

For me - the 12AT7 is mostly for noise testing - exploring medium gain options so to speak.
Cool, I'll wait for your testing results and stick with the 12AU7's for now.

I did find this transition listing - selling both MkII and Art Series 12AT7-S, but IDK how we would order only the Art Series new gen? I DM'd them on AliExpress:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32322740309.html

Ok, pair 2 down, one more to go...and this one delivers via Prime by Dec 21st, probably before the TA-20 arrives.

Matched Pair Premium Grade Psvane 12AU7-T Mark Ⅱ Vacuum Tube
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008HP5H3K

I was wondering what the difference was between the Mark II and Art Series, now I can listen and discover. :)

Here's an enthusiastic review from that Amazon listing from someone that used them on a TA-20:
"5.0 out of 5 stars - A surprisingly huge step up from Sylvania and other NOS tubes
Reviewed in the United States on May 19, 2020
Verified Purchase
Came in a beautiful presentation box with papers showing serial #s and measurements. Used them to roll from Sylvania NOS. 6189/12AU7. I was amazed at how much stronger these PS VANES were over the Sylvania NOS.
Truly impressive!
Update: I also have some RCA NOS, Mullard re-issues, and a few other matched NOS tubes of varying brands.
These PS VANE T2 tubes clearly outperformed them all in my XDUOO TA20 hybrid headphone amp.
I liked them so much that I ordered a 2nd pair, along with matching PS VANE T2 power tubes of another designation, to go into a Cayin HA1A MK2 headphone amp I recently ordered elsewhere.
The difference between this PS VANE T2 and others is immediately a huge noticeable improvement. The others I could tell differences, some more subtle than others. If you blind folded me and asked me to identify 1 of the other brands over the others, i might guess correctly half the time. Then there's these. They're unmistakable.
Its like going from a home theater in a box with a 50" 720 p monitor with Dolby Digital 5.1 (not bad) to a 140 inch UHD projector and a 7.2.4 Dolby Atmos system( WOW). There's no going back.
They probably would be wasted on a guitar amp where distortion might be preferable, but for hi fidelity music reproduction, these are really hard to beat."
If the PSVANE new Art Series are even better, that would make them pretty amazing. ;)

Hopes up. Seasons Greetings :)

Last edited:

hmscott

@Noodles - Here are a couple of interesting guys on Youtube, the first is audiotubes.com showing how they test tubes for noise :)

Noise Testing type 6922 / 6DJ8 / 7308 Vacuum Tubes
How To Spot a Rare Genalex or Gold Lion Vacuum Tube

The other is a boutique tube amp maker Young Ahn:

Buyer's guide 300B tube, Gold Lion vs Shuguang China for Hi-Fi audio amplifiers
5 reasons to Burn In tubes for audio amplifiers ; don't be ripped off by marketing strategy

Both channels have a lot of interesting videos. Here's a bonus classic I think I saw in High School:

Vintage Technology: Vacuum Tubes 1943 Training Film (The TRIODE) Signal Corps Army Air Force Radio

Last edited:

hmscott

The last 12AU7 pair for now:

12AU7 RCA Cleartop (side getter) unlabeled or organ brands, SPECIAL PRICE, SINGLES AND MATCHED PAIRS!
New Old Stock White Box. More of these fine tubes just in stock! The EXACT same great RCA made tube as above, but either unlabelled or labelled for Conn organs, Amperex, V-M, or Motorola. This tube really sounds as good as some NOS European types at one-fourth the cost!! If you are not picky about what is on the label, this tube is the best 12AU7 NOS bargain ever. MATCHED PAIRS just $39 per pair. Save!
COMMENTS ON THE RCA CLEARTOP: "Conn 12AU7 Cleartop arrived yesterday. It only has 12 hours or so of break-in so far - but your description was absolutely spot-on. WOW. It sounded amazing right out of the box. It blows away the Eastern European tube (muddy, rolled-off highs AND lows) that originally came with the pre-amp. Thanks for your help - even with such a small order. Regards, G.K."

$39 for a matched pair, $5/tube noise test, $11 Shipping -> "total for a noise checked pair with shipping is $60.00 even".

The order went in last night around 11pm PT with payment, and was acknowledged today by Brent at 6am PT :)

There are a couple of other RCA Cleartop options listed:
http://www.audiotubes.com/12au7.htm

If anyone else would like to suggest their favorite place to get Tubes, please do. I haven't had to look for tubes for 50 years :)

Last edited:

wasnotwasnotwas

Well this thread has gone down a certain rabbit hole. Where are the scrutineers when you need them?

hmscott

Well this thread has gone down a certain rabbit hole. Where are the scrutineers when you need them?
Why do you say that? The people talking are concerned with driving HD800s's and we are supporting each other discussing our particular solutions. Just because one part of it has Tubes along with SS as a Hybrid AMP doesn't mean it's not a valid discussion. It's a good solution where the A90 SS AMP and RME integrated SS AMP weren't up to the task for us.

The only person here OT is you.

That is unless you'd like to suggest another HD800S amplifier solution? :)

Last edited:

hmscott

For me - the 12AT7 is mostly for noise testing - exploring medium gain options so to speak.
Cool, I'll wait for your testing results and stick with the 12AU7's for now.
I did find this transition listing - selling both MkII and Art Series 12AT7-S, but IDK how we would order only the Art Series new gen? I DM'd them on AliExpress:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32322740309.html
@Noodles - I received a response from the Aliexpress store:

"Hello Scott, PSVANE is not yet product their 12at7S for this moment, maybe much more later in next year, so we have only 12at7 TII version available, Best regards"

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

No need to chime in just to be disagreeable. Don't go picking fights in threads please.

OP
Z

Znerken

It seems to me like people that don't like the way HD800s sound, try to make them fit by buying colored amps. I thought the Chord Mojo sounded better than a 2000$ tube amp I tested, because the Chord Mojo didn't color the sound. That's what appealed me to go with A90 also.

hmscott

Good to know that PSVANE tube replacements are only 2-3 days away - Amazon Prime delivered over the weekend; ordered 12/18 in the evening and delivered this afternoon 12/21.

The PSVANE 12AU7-T Matched pair came in a small triple sealed wooden box with testing / QA cards for each tube. Including matching serial number stickers on each Tube and on each testing card. The tubes were tested 11/02/19, so the legs are already a bit oxidized, but that's fine as it shows they weren't used. The legs are askew a bit, but if I check the stock photo from PSVANE for the 12AU7-T MkII the tubes in their photo's also have askew legs - probably from inserting / removing from test fixtures.
PSVANE 12AUT7 MKII Matched Pair.jpg

Both the audiotubes.com NOS 12AU7 RCA Cleartop Gain Matched pair and Amazon PSVANE 12AU7-S Art Series Gain Matched Pair have also shipped.

Hifigo shipped 4 days ago according to tracking, and the TA-20 is in the Shenzhen Airport waiting for it's trip to the US.

@icsi85 - we moved the further discussion to here:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-headphone-amplifier-review.10118/post-611207

Last edited:
Top Bottom