• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best speakers in the world?

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
There used to be an old saw in audio. "Big Boxes = Big Bass, small boxes = small bass." Probably applies to rooms too.

Hey Shazb0t, we do have an ignore button available on this forum. ;)
The shape of the room is important too.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Probably because it only leads to another question: "Best at what?"
In regards to the speaker I posted, the answer is 'best for me'. There are technical aspects as to why I believe so, but that is down in the weeds. ;)

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I would argue this one.

View attachment 89724

Just about my favourite vintage speaker :) Are these yours?

The version I listened to used the larger 10-cell horn (as in the image below) and non-horn loaded dual woofers. And there was a bullet tweeter of some sort tacked on, too. The owner had obviously done a great job with the crossover, because it all sounded beautiful.

1603741280794.png

Ken1951

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm long out of shopping or looking around at equipment. But the best thing I ever heard was a long time ago at what I am sure is a long defunct store in Alexandria, VA. A gentleman I worked with several years before in a similarly defunct audio chain worked there and we were looking for new speakers. This store was set up in an old very, very large house. Almost mansion level I'd guess. In the large main room, likely an old ballroom or some such, were the Infinity IRS of some version. They were playing a solo piano selection. The only time I've ever heard a system that when you closed your eyes you would swear there was someone playing an actual grand piano in the room. Simply awe-inspiring. Not screaming loud or anything, but truly beautiful and natural.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Just about my favourite vintage speaker :) Are these yours?

The version I listened to used the larger 10-cell horn (as in the image below) non-horn loaded dual woofers. And there was a bullet tweeter of some sort tacked on, too. The owner had obviously done a great job with the crossover, because it all sounded beautiful.

View attachment 89727
The A-2s aren't mine! But yes, the A7-500 is what I have. I am a former engineer at Altec Lansing but I bought the speakers long before I worked for them. The elegant time alignment solution is something I've not seen duplicated much outside of pro type speakers. The home market should pay attention to this old as the hills solution - it works.

carnagymelton

I'm long out of shopping or looking around at equipment. But the best thing I ever heard was a long time ago at what I am sure is a long defunct store in Alexandria, VA. A gentleman I worked with several years before in a similarly defunct audio chain worked there and we were looking for new speakers. This store was set up in an old very, very large house. Almost mansion level I'd guess. In the large main room, likely an old ballroom or some such, were the Infinity IRS of some version. They were playing a solo piano selection. The only time I've ever heard a system that when you closed your eyes you would swear there was someone playing an actual grand piano in the room. Simply awe-inspiring. Not screaming loud or anything, but truly beautiful and natural.

The hi-end Infinity's sounded amazing back in the day. Around what year was this?

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

No doubt it didn't hurt that the listening space was more akin than a typical living room to the kind of space you'd normally find a grand piano in :)

TankTop

I have speakers that do that... sometimes, with the right music, sitting in exactly the right spot, it’s magic! I have other speakers that are just fun and always sound great no matter what they’re playing or where you’re sitting.

I wonder how long it will be before the is a definitive measurement for a fun sounding speaker?

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Measurments of old speakers are hard to find.
JBL 4350/4430? Voice of Theater? Paragon?
They're not hard to find, but the problem is that the measurements were done by the original manufacturers back when the speakers were built. As such, they weren't taken with the latest technology, and were, ummm, filtered through their marketing departments on their way out the door.

That said, this is a response I ran last week from my listening position (1 measurement - not averaged from multiple measurments), about 12 feet from the speakers. It is 1/6th octave smoothed. Altec VOTT A7-500 + subs

Listening Position Response.jpg

q3cpma

Major Contributor
I'm pretty darn objective, but what you're saying is really starting to sound xenophobic as if you wish this place to be an echo chamber for a particular dogma. I don't enjoy being in a place like that.
Don't you have problems in a world where people follow the dogma of "2+2=4" and laugh at those who think that it gives 5? Relativism really is a dangerous disease.

carnagymelton

Don't you have problems in a world where people follow the dogma of "2+2=4" and laugh at those who think that it gives 5? Relativism really is a dangerous disease.

Yeah, but the problem is that EVERYONE thinks he is the 2+2=4 guy. I know, I know, but you really are the 2+2=4 guy....

Shazb0t

Yeah, but the problem is that EVERYONE thinks he is the 2+2=4 guy. I know, I know, but you really are the 2+2=4 guy....
That is why we rely on mathematical proofs and peer reviewed science to determine what is actually true. Audio Science follows the same pattern. We run into difficulty when we have discussions where one party does not accept the math or peer reviewed science, but instead insists on alternative opinions which lack scientific basis or credibility.

Is it incorrect to tell the guy who is adamant that 2+2=5 that he is wrong and/or challenge him to prove to us mathematically that he isn't?

Last edited:

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
The notion of the best speakers in the world , is pretty silly. Although mine come close.
Best speaker to an environment (or room) I think would be more appropriate. The designs that try to address the room are IMO the best ones today (independent of price). I find my humble Genelec monitors excellent, as transparent as I ever had in my home. Not bright or fatiguing either. The best in my world today for sure.

MarsianC#

They're not hard to find, but the problem is that the measurements were done by the original manufacturers back when the speakers were built.
Not worth a penny. Reviews like Amir's would be awesome.
85 dB range, smoothing like on insta and in room? Not worth a penny either. But nice to see members with real legends in use.

Top Bottom