• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best speakers in the world?

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Best for what?

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Best for being burried in.

1603671746047.png

Helicopter

Major Contributor
This is so subjective and complex. Focal Utopias seem a little silly to me, though I am sure they are great if you want partially passive speakers for a 2.0 setup in a giant space. If I needed to spend a quarter million dollars on a pair of speakers or more for a custom finish, for a palace or something, they seem like a good choice. I do not see myself going that big.

You get very deep into diminishing returns by $5k per speaker, and at that point, you need to consider a lot of things, like subs, surround, treatment, dsp, sources, electronics.

Focal is a good brand for this discussion because they have a big factory in France, they do make good speakers, and they go up to some extravagant stuff. They even offer custom finishes like gold.

Of course a Klipsch fan would probably tell you to get the Belles off the secret menu or Khorns or something that cost far less and have much less impressive objective performance.

And then there are Revel Salons, all the good powered speakers, the good JBLs, all the botique stuff, some of which is not bad, and on and on.

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
So you're saying a pair of $10K active monitors like Genelec 8361A or Kii Three will sound as good as these giant Focals?

Helicopter

Major Contributor
That is going to depend more on the size of your room than anything else, I would expect. In a room built for 8361a, I would be surprised if Utopias sound better, though I bet they sound excellent. In a room built for Utopias, the Utopias are going to dominate completely. No contest.

At least that is where I would put my bet.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@Sancus
When I'll save enough for either 8351B or the 8361A I could never buy the 8351B because psychologically the 8361A is the flagship and is much bigger and has much more bass and SPL and that's important if you don't plan on buying a sub, and you'll also feel that you have "the best" vs having the 8351B

Oh, sure, I agree -- if you're just using the speaker alone with no subs or W371As the 8361A is definitely an upgrade. But the ultimate setup definitely must include W371A modules, for SPL and prettier in-room response graphs if nothing else. For real-life budgets I don't think they are cost effective for multi-channel setups ;)

Helicopter

Major Contributor
For my room and tastes, Focal Kanta #3 would have been the ultimate, cost-no-object speaker, but I ordered Aria 948s because I really doubt the difference in sound is anything I could perceive and I know the extra money will be better spent on other stuff like some window treatments, acoustic panels, whatever. If I like the Arias for a long time, I will look at something like the Kantas next time around.

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Why didn't you go with active monitors? You said yourself they're better than passives.

EchoChamber

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The 8361A has no advantage whatsoever over the 8351B except for the woofer, and the W371A takes over completely(20-500hz) and is a much, MUCH better woofer than anything in either with specialized directivity control.

Yeah, you could hang the W371As I guess but I'm not sure there would be any audible benefit at all, as I've never encountered any music where the height channels are used for anything other than reflections/ambience. But for bragging rights, sure.

And yeah, I know you can get way way more complicated(and large) with the subs and bass management, but you'd have to go outside of GLM to do that so I left it out for simplicity's sake :) And again I think audible benefit would be minimal with the W371As involved. You probably don't even need subs. For HT it would be a different story.

I think if you're spending this kinda money on a system like this, it's criminal to just let GLM do it's thing and call it a day :p. Even Dirac is probably suboptimal. There's probably more expensive commercial solutions out there, and might be worth it to hire a professional to come calibrate it for you. Now I'm curious...

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think if you're spending this kinda money on a system like this, it's criminal to just let GLM do it's thing and call it a day :p. Even Dirac is probably suboptimal. There's probably more expensive commercial solutions out there, and might be worth it to hire a professional to come calibrate it for you. Now I'm curious...

Yeah, most likely a professionally-calibrated Trinnov would be the way to go.

Top Bottom