• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best speakers in the world?

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
If a speaker makes my ears stand up and pay attention to the music, I guess you could say that 'soul' has been communicated. Sometimes my system sounds like that (soul), and sometimes it sounds like utter crap.......I guess no soul. Some of it has to to with the time of day; music sounds better to me in the evening than the morning. Mornings have no soul. Something I suspect of a lot of people. ;)

SineWave

I heard the same at the Magnolia stores. They tend to have them connected to a McIntosh tube amplifier which use these poor quality tubes and it causes anti synergy. They also usually crank up the built in active woofer to the point where it is horribly detached, out of balance and lacked integration.
Contrast that to the sound of the ML ESL-11A driven by a Benchmark system which was spectacular.

Yeah, it was connected to a McIntosh but not sure about the tubes. The woofers were set just as you described. It sound like a brick wall fulll of bass (if that even makes any sense). Almost sounded like FM, headed towards AM. It was at the entrance area to Magnolia, so it was in the middle of the floor. Good that it was away from the back wall, but maybe not THAT far away. And real bad that each speaker was only about a foot to the side of the rack. The rack was as tall as the speaker and full of equipment. May as well been a wall between the speakers, which is real bad when ML says to have their speakers at least 3 feet from the back wall (or something like that). It's like trying to sell a Ferrari on a race track with 4X4 truck tires.

steve59

Major Contributor
I am not disagreeing but I still find that the Muon, which uses an identical Uni-Q mid/tweeter, has higher performance potential (low frequency extension, max SPL, directivity, HD/IMD, LF grup delay):

• it's a 4-way (6x 10" woofers < 120Hz > 10" midwoofer < 300Hz > midrange < 2.3kHz > tweeter)
• it uses two rear-mounted 10" woofers for low frequency directivity control
• the specified frequency response covers 25Hz to 20kHz (+/-3dB)
• sealed enclosures for all drivers
The muon uniq driver is pre tangerine waveguide and several generations behind the blad. While the blade 2 was designed after the blade my inquiry was answered they were identical except the blade 2 would place easier in smaller rooms.

Descartes

Major Contributor
Once they upgrade the Blade 2 with the meta material they developed!
Wondering is this meta material just marketing fluff?

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
SoundLab is likely the best speaker in the world. Build your house around them.

TankTop

Once they upgrade the Blade 2 with the meta material they developed!
Wondering is this meta material just marketing fluff?
It’s most likely very narrow frequency and nothing that would cause resonate harmonics. I think it would be better used on the front baffle on a center channel speaker to counter lobing.

Top Bottom