• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best speakers for TV (stereo system) ?

JeanMiK

Hi!!
I just did an upgrade of my TV with a 43" flat led screen.
I've been using the optical output of my box for a long time now to feed an amplifier and a big pair of old floorstanding speakers, but I think it's a bit over the top, as we're usually sitting about 7 feet away of the screen. I have an excellent sweet spot right in the middle, but not very convenient when we are 2 watching .....
I'm considering buying a pair of passive speakers, as my electronics (dac + amplifier) is good enough to me, and I don't want to go into the home theater alley.
The TV screen is sitting on a wooden cabinet, about 5 inch in front of the wall.
What would you suggest for a good couple of 2 or 3 way (preferably ?) speakers in my case : bookshelf, monitoring, floorstanders, closed, vented ?
Best possible sound quality of course, not necessarily too expensive ... nor too big ....
New or used .....
Given that the back of the speakers will be almost against the wall, and about 3 feet away from each other of course, and that I only need a reasonable sound level.
Thanks a lot for your suggestions.
JM

fredoamigo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
not necessarily too expensive

can you give a "range" for the price?

BillH

Forum Donor
@JeanMiK - I have a similar setup - just set back a few feet further. My sofa is ~10 feet from a 65 inch TV. Until recently I had a pair of large-ish Snell speakers. I just bought the ascend sierra 2EX (~$1500 per pair - two way bookshelf speakers plus stands) and a subwoofer. I like the sub for movie night - we can get the cinema rumble. You can either go with bookshelves and a sub or floorstanders. I'd say a key is to get speakers that have very wide and even dispersion (or radiation pattern) so that everyone on the sofa has pretty good tonal balance. Bookshelf options are plentiful - Revel M105 ($750 each), M16 ($450 each), KEF R3 ($1000 each), JBL 306p, Genelec, ....
Some of the bookshelf speakers were discussed here:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/neutral-bookshelf-speakers-2000.9546/

For floorstanders used revel f208s would be my $2000 choice.

OP
J

JeanMiK

Soundbar is NOT an option, nor sonos etc
I want to keep my stereo amp setup, just need a very good pair of speakers!
JM

OP
J

JeanMiK

@JeanMiK - I have a similar setup - just set back a few feet further. My sofa is ~10 feet from a 65 inch TV. Until recently I had a pair of large-ish Snell speakers. I just bought the ascend sierra 2EX (~$1500 per pair - two way bookshelf speakers plus stands) and a subwoofer. I like the sub for movie night - we can get the cinema rumble. You can either go with bookshelves and a sub or floorstanders. I'd say a key is to get speakers that have very wide and even dispersion (or radiation pattern) so that everyone on the sofa has pretty good tonal balance. Bookshelf options are plentiful - Revel M105 ($750 each), M16 ($450 each), KEF R3 ($1000 each), JBL 306p, Genelec, ....

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/neutral-bookshelf-speakers-2000.9546/

It is not possible to move my sofa further away......
I need speakers with reasonable dispersion....
JM

q3cpma

Major Contributor
If I were you, I'd go active, but since you probably don't want your electronics to go unused, the JBL passive stuff like the Studio 530 seem nice. I've also heard good stuff about Dali (had the Zensor 1 at some point).

bigx5murf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Sounds like you want passive speakers with better off axis performance horizontally. That's the calling card of coaxial designs, such as Kef. I use a vintage Kef Uni-q 5.2 setup myself for TV watching. I often sit to the extreme left & right positions, and have no complaints.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Sounds like you want passive speakers with better off axis performance horizontally. That's the calling card of coaxial designs, such as Kef. I use a vintage Kef Uni-q 5.2 setup myself for TV watching. I often sit to the extreme left & right positions, and have no complaints.
You mean vertically, right? Coaxial has no advantage on the horizontal plane.

OP
J

JeanMiK

Thanks for the link.
NHT C3 seems interesting to me.

JM

Haint

What are the dimensions of the room and how close will the speakers be to the side walls? Any large openings flanking the speakers? Most towers close to the front wall and reasonably close to side walls are probably going to be very bass heavy without some serious room correction (i.e. Dirac, XT32, etc... which I'm guessing you don't have on your electronics). I have a mostly sealed 20' x 12 x 9 den and tried what is probably one of the best "small/weak" towers you can buy (Revel F35), but even then they're like a bass bomb given the wall boundaries. In this room a bookshelf produces a much more even sounding response without judicious room correction. Your room will obviously be different, just pointing out some general exemplary guidelines.

Last edited:
OP
J

JeanMiK

What are the dimensions of the room, how close will the speakers be to the side walls? Any large openings flanking the speakers? Most towers close to the front wall and reasonably close to side walls are probably going to be very bass heavy without some serious room correction (i.e. Dirac, XT32, etc... which I'm guessing you don't have on your electronics). I have a sealed 20' x 12 x 9 den and tried what is probably one of the best "small/weak" towers you can buy (Revel F35), but even then they're like a bass bomb given the wall boundaries. Bookshelves produce a much more even sounding response without judicious room correction.

This room is about 35 square meters.
The side walls are about 3 meters away from the speakers.
And I have about 2 meters free in my back whilst seated on the sofa.
Plus lots of carpets curtains and non reflective materials and furniture in the room.
JM

Haint

This room is about 35 square meters.
The side walls are about 3 meters away from the speakers.
And I have about 2 meters free in my back whilst seated on the sofa.
Plus lots of carpets curtains and non reflective materials and furniture in the room.
JM

So if I'm understanding you right, this is a 12.5m x 12.5m room (or some rectangular variation there of)? And meters, as in ~40 feet x 40 feet? If so that's an enormous room and I would guess it will almost demand substantial towers, but that size is way beyond any of my experience so I'll defer to others with more knowledge.

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Haint

12.5 x 12.5m = 156.25 sq meters

More likely: 7 x 5 = 35

About 22 x 16 feet.

Gotcha, when he said 3 meters to a wall from each speaker that was way more than I expected and started picturing one of those open floor plan kitchen, dining, and living room combos that are all the rage this days.

OP
J

JeanMiK

Gotcha, when he said 3 meters to a wall from each speaker that was way more than I expected and started picturing one of those open floor plan kitchen, dining, and living room combos that are all the rage this days.

Exactly, 7 x 5 meter, Tv system being close to the 7 meter wall, sofa 2,5 meter (7 foot) away .....

JM

Wombat

Master Contributor
I use a pair of JBL LSR305P Mk11 placed under my 55 inch TV. If I had clearance I would have placed them on each side.

I sit 8.5 ft. from the screen.

Male voices are natural and the bass is adequate for most music DVD/Blu Rays. A subwoofer could be added but for non-home theatre use I don't feel the need.

Simplest answer based on what I know.
  • I have the same TV. Built in sound is a lot better than most.
  • I have a soundbar (Yamaha YAS-07BL) which helps even people with normal hearing
  • I have a link to the TV with a TV connector from the manufacturers of my HAs which provides perfect clarity. The one issue is that if someone wants to talk to me I have to pause the TV to listen as the TV sound dominates the HAs.
In summary, buying a TV link device from your HA manufacturer is the best solution by a mile.

Top Bottom