• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Thunder

Hi, I wonder what speakers would be worth to pair with the D90SE

Would the Genelec 8030C Studio Monitors be good?

I'd prefer to have my setup with no sub as I live in a flat on a 2nd floor and below me there is a dental clinic room and I don't want to bother anyone (Lulz), I never turn my music too high either.

Thanks.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I'd prefer to have my setup with no sub as I live in a flat on a 2nd floor and below me there is a dental clinic room and I don't want to bother anyone (Lulz), I never turn my music too high either.

Thanks.
D90SE should be fine with just about anything as it is far beyond audible transparency. 8030C are highly regarded here and should work well.

OP
Thunder

Thunder

D90SE should be fine with just about anything as it is far beyond audible transparency. 8030C are highly regarded here and should work well.
Would you recommend me any other monitors for the D90SE apart from the 8030C?

I mentioned them because, as you said, they are on the top raking here, but I'm not an expert in any way.

Thanks

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Would you recommend me any other monitors for the D90SE apart from the 8030C?

I mentioned them because, as you said, they are on the top raking here, but I'm not an expert in any way.

Thanks
Personally I would look at Genelec and Focal, but there are other good choices from Neuman, JBL and a couple others.

We would need to know a bit about your room, listening, and budget to make the best model recommendations.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This is like asking what speaker you recommend to pair with Michael Jackson’s Thriller album.

Its a DAC, the least sonically important part of a Hi-Fi system.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is like asking what speaker you recommend to pair with Michael Jackson’s Thriller album.

Its a DAC, the least sonically important part of a Hi-Fi system.
Well, its uncolored, so it should be a good match for neutral high performance speakers, rather than Klipsch, Zu, or whatver.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You'll need to provide a few more details about how you intend to listen to the setup, the size of the room, etc.
+1. The only limitation of these is the maximum spl. So if you want to fill a big room there may be a better option. If not then these will be great. Also budget would help to know what range to stay in. For example I could recommend the Revel Salon2s as a better choice but, they require an amp and are considerably more expensive.:p

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, its uncolored, so it should be a good match for neutral high performance speakers, rather than Klipsch, Zu, or whatver.
If it’s uncoloured what is there to match? How can you match transparent???

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You match transparent with transparent. If electronics actually have a sound signature, then you might want something to balance them. Like EQ and reverse EQ. For example, some people pair bright Klipsch speakers with tube amps that have high frequency rolloff, and some people pair HD6XX headphones with Darkvoice 336se or Bottlehead OTL tube amps to give a needed boost to the bass.

A good transparent DAC will go best with good neutral speakers.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
+1
Same kind of comment I had when reading the headline of this thread and wondering if there could be any other response at all.

It's a transparent dac, means no distortion and neutral, hence exactly what you should expect from a dac.

So starting from something transparent, you can add anything, as it won't influence the sound in any way.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
+1
Same kind of comment I had when reading the headline of this thread and wondering if there could be any other response at all.

It's a transparent dac, means no distortion and neutral, hence exactly what you should expect from a dac.

So starting from something transparent, you can add anything, as it won't influence the sound in any way.
Neutral speakers like Focal or Genelec is the correct answer since the DAC isn't going to be up to any funny business.

Electronics that actually pair better with something that is not neutral are rare (and not transparent).

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You match transparent with transparent. If electronics actually have a sound signature, then you might want something to balance them. Like EQ and reverse EQ. For example, some people pair bright Klipsch speakers with tube amps that have high frequency rolloff, and some people pair HD6XX headphones with Darkvoice 336se or Bottlehead OTL tube amps to give a needed boost to the bass.

A good transparent DAC will go best with good neutral speakers.
May I suggest you re-read what you wrote?

Matching coloured to coloured to reduce the colouration makes sense but matching colourless (transparent) to any colour is simply illogical. If it’s transparent you won’t hear it!

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
May I suggest you re-read what you wrote?

Matching coloured to coloured to reduce the colouration makes sense but matching colourless (transparent) to any colour is simply illogical. If it’s transparent you won’t hear it!
Just re read what I wrote. I think you might be the one who is confused about what I wrote.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just re read what I wrote. I think you might be the one who is confused about what I wrote.
Then i suggest we agree that we failed to communicate. :)

HiFidFan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Screen Shot 2021-09-25 at 5.48.40 PM.png

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@View attachment 155589

Why would you start with any coloured gear in the first stage ?
In this example, you wouldn't. The DAC should be true to the source, so anything you do that changes its signal is going to mess it up compared to the source. That's why neutral speakers, that change it the least are the best recommendation.

We already have thousands of pages of threads about tubes, vinyl, and coloration to understand why some people like that stuff, and why others don't.

OP asked about speakers for D90SE, and the best ones are going to be the type of speakers that get golfing and soccer panthers and fit the OP's room and budget.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator

Without a budget, this question is moot.

Are you looking for bookshelves, floor-standers, no preference?
Active, passive, no preference?
Do you care about having perfect horizontal and vertical directivity or do you want good horizontal directivity and can accept weaker vertical directivity?
What's your listening distance?
Also, what's your location? I'm guessing UK by the use of the word 'flat'.

I'm sure we can find something for your goals.

OP
Thunder

Thunder

Hi there all brochachos, please don't kill me and don't kill you each other, I just want some recommendation

@Berwhale I intend to listen to the setup with my ears, the size of the room is a small room.
@Helicopter My budget is about one trillion dollars for each speaker (Just kidding) I wouldn't like to spend more than $1000 for each monitor.
@sarumbear Haha you're so funny, really, I'm crying of laughter here (Sarcasm) By the way you seem to be an expert in this matter. o_O
@Beershaun Oh, you join the party too, don't drink and drive :p Thanks for your comment and suggestion
@Harmonie Sisterchacha, I'm looking for some monitors worthy of the best DAC for it's price right now (D90SE) I mean I won't be buying the best dac and connecting a pair of $20 monitors :facepalm:
@HiFidFan Haha memes and all that, long live the Internet! :cool:
@sweetchaos My budget is of 1€ for the whole setup (Lulz), read my answer to @Helicopter in this comment, thanks. Bookshelves, active (But really no preference, I'm not the best audiophile in the world like you guys, my life doesn't depend on it.)
Do you care about having perfect horizontal and vertical directivity or do you want good horizontal directivity and can accept weaker vertical directivity?
My name is Ralph.
What's your listening distance?
1 meter
Also, what's your location? I'm guessing UK by the use of the word 'flat'.
C'mon... Don't be racist!!! It's because I'm black, right? Just kidding, I'm not black either, I'm from Barcelona (Messi)
I'm sure we can find something for your goals.
Oh, thank you!!! You're nice.
Don't laugh guys, thanks for all your replies, and don't take it too seriously, I'm just a random user, but I have feelings too... :(

Last edited:
Top Bottom