• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best speaker options for Music. Bookshelf+sub or Floorstanders?

neo__04

Hi all,

Looking to build a kit with a focus on really amazing music. I like a bit of everything (Top 40 sort of stuff) but i love listening
to accoustic versions and i love a bit of volume.

I can't decide on which way to go as my knowledge isn't the best.

So basically, do i build an amazing set of floorstanders and not stress about the sub for the moment or
should i build bookshelf size and aim to incorporate a sub?

I've got all the gear to DIY, CNC routers etc and have built some overnight sensations & C-Notes in the past, so I'm not a complete newbie.
But when potentially spending a few thousand on speakers, i'd like some help making the decision from people far more knowledgeable than me.

Some details you might ask..
Room size is about 6.5m x 8m, open plan living, dining.
I listed to a bit of everything.
I love nice crisp clear Highs.
Happy to spend 1-2k on a set of front speakers. Not stressed about MDF costs etc.
Also happy to put similar money into subs if recommended.

So that you don't think I'm here without researching, the things that seem to keep popping up...
Solstice, CSS Criton, Philharmonic BMR, Tarkus, Statements II, Zaph Audio SB12.3.

Thanks in advance!

alex-z

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I think subs are required for both bookshelf and tower speakers. Even if you had tower speakers which can reach down to 20Hz, the optimal positioning for in-room bass response would almost certainly compromise the stereo imaging.

My recommendation would be a pair of Philharmonic BMR + two sealed 15 or 18" subs.

It also does bear asking, what acoustic treatment does your room? One of the weaknesses of the BMR is the high frequency vertical directivity, so if you have no ceiling treatment my answer would change to something with a dome tweeter instead like the "Travelers".

OP
N

neo__04

Hi Alex-Z,

Thanks for the reply.

The room is a big open living/dining/kitchen, which is about 6.5m wide x 8m long.
It will have raking ceiling so the ceiling will be around 3.3m (11ft approx) in the centre.
I haven't planned any room treatment as such at this stage.

Does the higher ceilings help the Philharmonic BMR or hinder them?

I had considered building a couple of subs to add to the system. So that will definately be on the cards.

Thanks heaps!

alex-z

Hi Alex-Z,

Thanks for the reply.

The room is a big open living/dining/kitchen, which is about 6.5m wide x 8m long.
It will have raking ceiling so the ceiling will be around 3.3m (11ft approx) in the centre.
I haven't planned any room treatment as such at this stage.

Does the higher ceilings help the Philharmonic BMR or hinder them?

I had considered building a couple of subs to add to the system. So that will definately be on the cards.

Thanks heaps!

The high ceiling will reduce the amplitude of problematic ceiling reflections. Most speakers, including the BMR should benefit.

The lack of acoustic treatment will be a bottleneck for sound quality, I wouldn't spend $1000+ speakers in a room with no treatment. Even some 4" absorbers scattered throughout the room makes a big difference.

OP
N

neo__04

Hi again,

Thanks for the info.
Sounds like the BMR might be the go.

I'll definately look at doing some once the house is finished.

Wolf

My Nephila was highly regarded and took best over all at MWAF 2015. Meniscus sells a kit for it too. F3=45Hz. Great for music, and open and clear.

Roland68

Major Contributor

datrumole

i'll throw in my 2c

growing up, obviously plenty of coffin style speakers from what my father owned

everything then switched to satellites with subs and for some reason music just never sounded the same on those systems

fastfwd 25y, and i built a pair of tarkus speakers, yes, yes, and more yes

i'm sure it can be done with bookshelves and subs, bc essentially that is what the tarkus is in many ways. and yeah, plenty of benefits around the 'sub walk' but having two dedicated speakers for full range 2ch sound just sounds better. i dont know why. for reference i have a HT of DIYSG Fusion 8s LCR, 3x MBM flex-12s, 4x 1262 infinity nearfield sub array, and i will still prefer the tarkus when listening to music

the tarkus does everything i want and then some. plenty of authoritative bass for music, crisp highs, i recall grinning when i first fired them up...

my original thought process was a bookshelf, but there is no replacement for displacement. forcing 6.5" woofers to handle bass, midbass, and midrange is perfectly fine at certain listening levels. but sometimes i wanna crank it. tarkus gives me that

add on the fact you can likely finish a pair for ~500, no brainer

my build thread: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/tarkus-build-thread.28196/

Top Bottom