• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best sounding full-size closed-back...

OP
Asylum Seeker

Asylum Seeker

Judging from Moondrop Starfield, AKG K371 and now the NAD, yes I like brighter, airier, sparklier than Harman.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Isn't NAD HP50 close to harman preference headphone curve? Or you like bright headphones?

K371 is much closer than HP50

k371-vs-viso-hp50.png

and yes, he seems to like that extra treble... below DT770-Pro (250 Ohm)
dt770-pro-250.png

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
@Asylum Seeker
I know this will sound wired but I actually recommend you Creative Aurvana Live (first generation) acording to preferences you just told. They aren't probably best one's ever but for the price they sound remarkable. All do driver is 40 mm the cones are made of paper (Foster driver's). Bass is good while not busted especially for close back design. Build quality ain't great. Those are very easy to drive and you can use them where ever you go.

https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/creative-aurvana-live-classic-reincarnate-page-2

Africanman

IMHO the best closed-back headphone under $200 is the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 Ohm. Like a fine wine it gets better with time. It sounds so open and airy sometimes that I often find myself tapping the cups with my fingers to make sure I'm not wearing my Hifiman HE4XXs instead. Sure, the mids and vocals are slightly recessed, but I think I prefer it this way. Comfort-wise, nothing comes close to it - I can have it on my head all day. And that DT770 bass is like gravy - so smooth and refined, and it goes deep.

OP
Asylum Seeker

Asylum Seeker

IMHO the best closed-back headphone under $200 is the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 Ohm. Like a fine wine it gets better with time. It sounds so open and airy sometimes that I often find myself tapping the cups with my fingers to make sure I'm not wearing my Hifiman HE4XXs instead. Sure, the mids and vocals are slightly recessed, but I think I prefer it this way. Comfort-wise, nothing comes close to it - I can have it on my head all day. And that DT770 bass is like gravy - so smooth and refined, and it goes deep.
Were it not for the straight 3m cable, I would buy a pair...

OP
Asylum Seeker

Asylum Seeker

@Asylum Seeker
I know this will sound wired but I actually recommend you Creative Aurvana Live (first generation) acording to preferences you just told. They aren't probably best one's ever but for the price they sound remarkable. All do driver is 40 mm the cones are made of paper (Foster driver's). Bass is good while not busted especially for close back design. Build quality ain't great. Those are very easy to drive and you can use them where ever you go.

https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/creative-aurvana-live-classic-reincarnate-page-2
Is it better overall than the DT770?

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Is it better overall than the DT770?
Well I think you can see the frequency response graphs for both, rest will really depend on your own preferences. What I can tell you is how paper cones are generally more airy than stiffer one's & I have great experience regarding Foster one's. Fostex earphones with such Foster driver's and larger one's are very expensive & you can buy very same Denon one's to this Creative for 3x the price.

Africanman

Well I think you can see the frequency response graphs for both, rest will really depend on your own preferences. What I can tell you is how paper cones are generally more airy than stiffer one's & I have great experience regarding Foster one's. Fostex earphones with such Foster driver's and larger one's are very expensive & you can buy very same Denon one's to this Creative for 3x the price.

I agree, it will depend on your own preferences. Also, the DT770 80 Ohm (which I own) and the 250 Ohm will benefit from an external amplification source. I've not heard the DT770 32 Ohm version, which is easy to drive off your phone. The CALs should be fine driven from your phone, or your laptop's internal source.

There's also the Massdrop x Meze 99 Noir for sale on Drop.com for $200. By all accounts these are superb, and probably the best value for money headphones at $200. But I have yet to hear them.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
I agree, it will depend on your own preferences. Also, the DT770 80 Ohm (which I own) and the 250 Ohm will benefit from an external amplification source. I've not heard the DT770 32 Ohm version, which is easy to drive off your phone. The CALs should be fine driven from your phone, or your laptop's internal source.

There's also the Massdrop x Meze 99 Noir for sale on Drop.com for $200. By all accounts these are superb, and probably the best value for money headphones at $200. But I have yet to hear them.
Feal free to compare CAL to AKG K371 also which are considered as the best in this category by many. I do own better one's than all discussed so far the old Pioneer Monitor 10 II, don't use them much. They are more trophy in my collection but you will hardly find those to buy & you would need to restore them. Those are only dynamic over the ear closed back with superb bass and sub bass that I know of. No wonder Pioneer used cone material for those in the mid 70's as Yamaha is using now on their flagship speakers.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Thanks. I have the K371 and while I like|admire them, I don't love them. To me, the best sounding closed-back, circum-aural is the DT 770 Pro 250. I love those things. Anything that can dethrone them?

DT1770 is better than the DT770 and slap on some pads of the DT770 and you have similar treble levels.
Just not for under $ 200.-

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
DT1770 is better than the DT770 and slap on some pads of the DT770 and you have similar treble levels.
Just not for under $ 200.-
How about good as K371 & you can snatch it for 70$ on discounts (CAL). ;)

Last edited:

blse59

M50x. Second to that is the M40x. M50x has that extra "oomph" that is pleasing to the ears and the M40x is neutral but with a nice lift in the bass.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
M40X

ath-m40x.png

OP
Asylum Seeker

Asylum Seeker

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Nope L and R of the M40X I had. The imbalance was quite audible as well, bass 'pulled' to the left. Was very annoying.

Here is what I did with it.

Hemicrusher

Still looking, but for now the ATH-M50X are my favorite closed backs for under $200. They also EQ really well.

OP
Asylum Seeker

Asylum Seeker

Still looking, but for now the ATH-M50X are my favorite closed backs for under $200. They also EQ really well.
Have you ever listened to the DT770?

Top Bottom