• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best sounding closed-back headphone $500-$1,000 for a non-audiophile?

velasfloyd

I use elegia. Its a great headphone. You will love it, unless you want to use it on the street, as I think it is too big for that.

Dont buy any other pad. People like to buy things as people like to waste money. Just buy a Qudelix 5k. Its a $100 portable dac/amp with amazing software. It includes equalization and thats everything you need to change its sound.

You can check the elegia’s review in this forum as well as the qudelix review. I recommend to copy Amir’s equalization as it really improves the sound.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Hey,

What exactly didn't you like? They are not comfortable? Not durable? The sound?

The sound was fine with EQ to the Harman curve and dekoni Stellia sheepskin pads.
But they where not really comfortable.
Not horrible or annoying but when I got my aeon 2 Noire I was blown away by how much more comfortable a headphone could be.

Same for the meze Liric.

I've always had that pressure point behind my right ear that the elegia did just hit right to be painful after a while.

And it's just to big and for what it is.. there is no need anymore for plastic aluminium headbands.

nyxnyxnyx

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Tried and liked: D5200/7200, EMU-TEAK, LCD-2C, DT700x, NDH20 Maybe more, will update if I remember. I like them both in stock FR and post-EQ ( I use Resolve and Oratory1990's target).
Stuff I didn't like: Meze Classic 99, Focal closed headphones, Sony Z7M2, Sony MDR-V6
Speculating/Thinking those can be good: DCA closed headphones, stuff from Austrian Audio.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Headphones are like eyeglasses. Just because a pair is great for one user doesn't mean they are for another. Use what you like and enjoy them, and above all, don't listen to what anyone tells you what is good for YOU!
True, but if I had exotic taste and liked things that were generally not liked, I probably should not go around recommending it to everyone either.

ThatGuyYouKnow

True, but if I had exotic taste and liked things that were generally not liked, I probably should not go around recommending it to everyone either.
I wouldn't call my tastes exotic. The T5 3rd Gen has gotten quite a few great reviews outside this forum. If someone generally likes the sound of planars, then yes, these just might not be for them.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wouldn't call my tastes exotic. The T5 3rd Gen has gotten quite a few great reviews outside this forum. If someone generally likes the sound of planars, then yes, these just might not be for them.
Fair enough. I did not mean to be offensive with exotic btw, hope non is taken.

ThatGuyYouKnow

Fair enough. I did not mean to be offensive with exotic btw, hope non is taken.
No offense taken. I admittedly got too exuberant with my recommendation. I saw him mention that the combination of comfort, detail, soundstage and a good amount of bass were important, along with using a phone to drive it at times, and I couldn't think of a better closed headphone I've heard in the price range that collectively satisfies those wants. The key problem with my recommendation is that the OP might find the mid bass overpowering.

warpdrive

with headphones, the measurements matter but only up to a degree. Even Amir said so himself.....measurements matter from 50 to 80% which is lower ratio than other types of components.

Also, the Harman curve is a good target but there is still a lot of personal factors that affect headphone listening.....human heads and ears differ a lot, and a person's HRTF can be quite different. My preference is for a little bit less bass and mids than what Harman target is....it's too shouty and bassy for me.

Having said that, I can usually tell from looking at the measurements which headphones will sound plain badly to me. Usually headphones with large mid-bass humps are very tiring, and ones that have a spikes in the treble give me tinnitus quickly.

I would go for the Drop Dan Clark closed headphones, seems to have measurements that approximate Harman with just a bit less mids that I prefer with the right amount of treble. I don't have one of these next but they are on my list to buy. I think they should be a nice improvement over the Hifimans I'm using

markanini

Major Contributor
Also, the Harman curve is a good target but there is still a lot of personal factors that affect headphone listening.....human heads and ears differ a lot, and a person's HRTF can be quite different. My preference is for a little bit less bass and mids than what Harman target is....it's too shouty and bassy for me.
Harman research showed an over ~85-90% correlation between it's target and personal preference IIRC. For that reason one could posit a social HRTF and it would be valid for evolutionary reasons. Think of how, despite individual HRTF variation, all your life you've accepted how a voice sounds to you. You don't ruminate how it sounds to someone with a different HRTF. With music reproduced through headphones why should it be much different?

warpdrive

Harman research showed an over ~85-90% correlation between it's target and personal preference IIRC. For that reason one could posit a social HRTF and it would be valid for evolutionary reasons. Think of how, despite individual HRTF variation, all your life you've accepted how a voice sounds to you. You don't ruminate how it sounds to someone with a different HRTF. With music reproduced through headphones why should it be much different?

I've heard enough headphones and played enough with EQing to Harman (using this and oratory's settings) to know that it does not result in my preferred sound profile, but it's a useful starting point.

Digidigi

I had a similar situation as OP a little while ago. Based on @solderdude 's review, I ended up buying Ollo S4R (1.2) as HI-X60 wasn't then available where I live. Been very happy with my purchase these past few weeks but I just noticed that HI-X60 is now sold locally. I'm starting contemplate if should go for the Austrian Audios and return my S4R. Choices choices... Has anyone A/B'd these two headphones? How do they compare?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
17 purple = S4R, green = Hi-X60.png

The Hi-X60 is fuller and bassier sounding but has some sharpness in the highs.
Comfort on the AA is better, much more room for the ears.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I only heard the MrSpeakers AEON closed many years ago (before the name change to DCA)
I liked that one but found the pads a bit on the small side. The Hi-X60 has huge pads. The sharpness can be reduced.
It would appear as these would sound very bassy but they sound rather neutral in the bass but well extended so rumbles are there but no elevated bass.... with a perfect seal.

OP
P

PRL18

Thanks everybody again for the help!

So I’ve been using the Elegias for a few weeks. They are a bit tight (I’m on the large head side), and the head band is a bit uncomfortable for me. Although I can wear them for a while, I’m not sure I could for several hours. Excellent sound isolation, though.

I listened to Spotify on my iPhone (so no good quality files) and old CDs I downloaded into my computer. The achieved volume was adequate for me.

The only pair of “decent” earphones I own and could compare to are my 1MORE Quads. I enjoyed the wider soundstage, better details and clarity. It feels like a filter is being removed. I can better locate the instruments and notice sounds that didn’t before. Unfortunately I find it a bit bass light for my taste.

So I wanted to ask a couple of questions if anybody is still around :)

Regarding bass:
• Can using EQ to add bass achieve the same sound quality than listening to a headphone that has better bass by default? Or it’s not possible because the headphone was not originally designed for that?
• Some recommend the Dekoni Elite Sheepskin Pads. Do you get the same result by using EQ?
• Do you change EQ for each song, per genre, or use always the same?
• Is there a EQ setup that most people use specifically for the Elegias? Is it the Harman Curve?

Although I enjoyed the sound, I wasn’t blown away. I guess I had extremely high expectations. It’s possible because my ears are not trained for high quality sound, but made me wonder how much better a pair of $4,000 cans can be (i.e. Focal Utopia) compared to the Elegias. Is it an incredible difference or is it just incremental sound quality that could only be picked up by trained ears?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
So I wanted to ask a couple of questions if anybody is still around :)

Regarding bass:
• Can using EQ to add bass achieve the same sound quality than listening to a headphone that has better bass by default? Or it’s not possible because the headphone was not originally designed for that?
With some headphones you can improve this. Some can't. It also depends on how loud you need it to go.

• Some recommend the Dekoni Elite Sheepskin Pads. Do you get the same result by using EQ?
Pads can be changed for comfort but often also change the sound.

EQ should be based on the deficiencies of the headphone.
Tone control (usually only bass and treble) can be used to adjust the sound of recordings to your liking.

• Is there a EQ setup that most people use specifically for the Elegias? Is it the Harman Curve?
Not everyone prefers the Harman target but most do. It basically adds a bit of bass.
There are a few computer generated EQ's some seem to like. They aren't the same as one might expect.
Also those EQ's are based on measurements that may not be the same as your personal circumstances.

how much better a pair of $4,000 cans can be (i.e. Focal Utopia) compared to the Elegias. Is it an incredible difference or is it just incremental sound quality that could only be picked up by trained ears?
To some aficionados the difference is worth the extra cash. Some may even prefer the Elegia, others the Utopia.
There is no incredible difference (go to a store that has both) but there is a difference in sound (quality)

When you don't like the comfort of the Elegia I would suggest to look at something else than Focal.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You are asking very though questions :)

While solderdure has given you the correct and analytical answers, let me attempt to give you a more laid back one.

Regarding bass:

Although I enjoyed the sound, I wasn’t blown away. I guess I had extremely high expectations. It’s possible because my ears are not trained for high quality sound, but made me wonder how much better a pair of $4,000 cans can be (i.e. Focal Utopia) compared to the Elegias. Is it an incredible difference or is it just incremental sound quality that could only be picked up by trained ears?

Almost every headphone changes the tone of the sound they are supposed to reproduce, e.g. they produce some frequencies "louder" and some "quieter", which effects tone of what you are hearing. A mid bass heavy headphone might sound like a teenager kid lowering his voice pitch to impress the girls for example - you get what he is saying, but that is not how he normally sounds. Equalization is used to correct for that change introduced by the headphone, so that you can hear what it is supposed to sound like, and therefore you would normally have one set of EQ settings for one headphone.

People do measure how headphones change the tonality of the sound and share EQ settings for them, which you can find online and use. Most of them work really well if you use a reliable source, but by no means you have to follow exactly what you find online - you can also play around and see what you like. You can also have multiple EQ settings for different types of genres , unless you NEED them to sound "correct" that is of course (funny, writers, painters, sculptors would leave some of the meaning to the interpretation of the beholder, but for some reason, that is not the case with musicians and recording engineers - they get very upset if you don't stick to their intentions :) )

Yes, you can use EQ to add bass to a headphone. You would most likely be limited by distortion in that case, that is, add too much bass and it starts sounding weird, even less bassy at times. In my experience, a headphone is much more than just a Frequency Response curve some people here would like you to believe though. Will the headphone seal properly on your head, for example, is an important question to ask for a closed back headphone because if the cans are very sensitive to seal, and your glasses are breaking it for example, than say goodbye to your bass. solderdude talks about these in his reviews in good detail actually, recommend you to check those. Maybe there are some other reviewers who do as well - I don't know.

If you are getting serious with this hobby, my recommendation to you would be to get yourself a Quedelix 5K, which has a nice EQ function you can control from your phone, and go out to the store and try a bunch of headphones with and without EQ, increase / decrease bass, see what you like. Once you understand your own preferences better, it becomes much easier to get a sense for what you might and might not like, and don't worry about the price tags too much (i.e.. expensive is not always better, and not everyone needs a 1000HP car in their lives)

Last edited:

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm an happy Elegia owner.
The only complaint I have about them is the terrible cable that comes with them.
Replace it immediately. (Mine broke anyway, eventually).
I use them with EQ. This is needed.
But then the sound is really good, to my taste.
I can wear them for hours without problem (although it may become too hot in there).

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I think the last big difference is from low-mid tier which would be something like Sennheiser HD6** to mid-tier ~400-700€. I find it hard to go back to the Senns after listening to DCA Aeon RT, Ollo S5X or even Sundara. The rest I see as high end and all that I have tested are like "yeah, I can see this is technically slightly superior in some ways". If I could get all my money back from the more expensive stuff I would take it immediately and spend it somewhere else.

...but then again, some people are adamant that all <1k€ cans are terrible and quality goes up all the way to summit, so it depends. :)

ehabheikal

If you are willing to spend that much on headphones then you must look at the high end dan clark headphones. I think two where measured here tthe stealth and anotherone i forgot

Top Bottom