• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best sounding closed-back headphone $500-$1,000 for a non-audiophile?

Hatto

But is there really a sound quality difference between 5 foot long cables to justify the extra $?

Hopefully I made the right choice.
Short answer: No

Long answer: No, there isn't a a sound quality difference between 5 foot long cables to justify the extra $

You made the right choice as long as the cable has decent build quality.

OP
P

PRL18

Short answer: No

Long answer: No, there isn't a a sound quality difference between 5 foot long cables to justify the extra $

You made the right choice as long as the cable has decent build quality.
Hart Audio Cables has good reviews. Hopefully they live up to them. They also answered my questions :)

leonasj

one of the best sounding for that price is audeze LCD-2Closed back. i have them new in box for sale,- new 2021 model/. neutral sound. 690eur. shipping worldwide. Pm me. paypal for goods payment. selling ,as got stellia.

Attachments

• audeze.jpg
    audeze.jpg
    325.9 KB · Views: 64
  • audeze1.jpg
    audeze1.jpg
    352.1 KB · Views: 55
  • audeze2.jpg
    audeze2.jpg
    286.9 KB · Views: 66
  • audeze3.jpg
    audeze3.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 64
OP
P

PRL18

Here are 2 pictures showing the difference between the original Audeze cable and the one I just bought to get it shorter and with a 3.5mm plug.

The Audeze seems to be better quality (I guess the you get what you pay for applies). The Audeze is the one with metal on the top vs the all plastic one. I wanted to ask if this may be a problem.

Also, the 3rd picture shows both plugs of the new cable. The red circe shows an extra piece the yellow doesn't have. Is it to differentiate the right from the left or is it actually missing?

How do I know which one is the right one? Normally would be a red tape added.

Thanks
IMG-8126.JPG
IMG-8127.JPG
IMG-8128.JPG

staticV3

Master Contributor
The Audeze is the one with metal on the top vs the all plastic one. I wanted to ask if this may be a problem.
No.

Also, the 3rd picture shows both plugs of the new cable. The red circe shows an extra piece the yellow doesn't have. Is it to differentiate the right from the left or is it actually missing?
It's usually used as a strain relief, which isn't really necessary for this application.
Whether the one that made this cable usually puts strain reliefs on both sides and just forgot one here, or whether they use a strain relief as a subtle channel marker, only they themselves can answer. No use asking on ASR.

How do I know which one is the right one?
Go to this website: https://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_stereo.php
and play the Left/Right test tones on the Audeze.
If Left is Left and Right is Right, then the cable is plugged in the right way around. If not, then it's not.

Once you have it plugged in correctly, you can memorize which side has the strain relief and which doesn't.

OP
P

PRL18

No.

It's usually used as a strain relief, which isn't really necessary for this application.
Whether the one that made this cable usually puts strain reliefs on both sides and just forgot one here, or whether they use a strain relief as a subtle channel marker, only they themselves can answer. No use asking on ASR.

Go to this website: https://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_stereo.php
and play the Left/Right test tones on the Audeze.
If Left is Left and Right is Right, then the cable is plugged in the right way around. If not, then it's not.

Once you have it plugged in correctly, you can memorize which side has the strain relief and which doesn't.
Thanks a lot. I tested it. It seems the one with the red circle / strain relief was in fact the right channel.

D

Deleted member 60987

Hello,

I'm hoping I can get some help on choosing a nice pair of headphones.

First the disclosure: I'm not even close to being an audiophile. I hardly understand some terms as tight, controlled, fast response, muddy, decay, imaging, DAC, etc. without researching online. My best pair of earphones is a 1MORE Quad Driver In-Ear (there, I said it).

I wanted to buy a pair of wireless headphones that sounded amazing below $1,000. I almost went for the Focal Bathys until I read the Noise Canceling is always on and changing the battery will cost $200 once it dies. Now, I understand a wireless headphone will never sound as good as a wired one, or so I believe. Therefore, I changed my mind.

What I'm up to / looking for:
  • I enjoy mostly jazz, classical and pop music
  • Closed-back headphones, to avoid being annoyed by external noise or annoy others myself
  • Comfortable
  • Enjoy bass but no overpowering
  • Can be plugged directly to a phone (iphone 11) or computer (apple mac pro 2015) without the need of any intermediate apparatus (DAC or whatever), unless a miniature DAC exists that is both good and inexpensive
  • Ideally up to $500 but I'm willing to go up to $1,000 if there was a huge difference in sound quality
  • And the most important: The best possible sound within my above price range, including detail, soundstage and as many of the best qualities as possible

Is there a pair of headphones that you would recommend to a non-audiophile that just wants to listen to the best possible sound without getting into the rabbit hole to learn everything about it?

I guess a more tricky question would be if there is such a thing as an indisputable winner in these categories (up to $500 & up to $1,000) that audiophiles agree on?

Thanks!!!
Hello,

I'm hoping I can get some help on choosing a nice pair of headphones.

First the disclosure: I'm not even close to being an audiophile. I hardly understand some terms as tight, controlled, fast response, muddy, decay, imaging, DAC, etc. without researching online. My best pair of earphones is a 1MORE Quad Driver In-Ear (there, I said it).

I wanted to buy a pair of wireless headphones that sounded amazing below $1,000. I almost went for the Focal Bathys until I read the Noise Canceling is always on and changing the battery will cost $200 once it dies. Now, I understand a wireless headphone will never sound as good as a wired one, or so I believe. Therefore, I changed my mind.

What I'm up to / looking for:
  • I enjoy mostly jazz, classical and pop music
  • Closed-back headphones, to avoid being annoyed by external noise or annoy others myself
  • Comfortable
  • Enjoy bass but no overpowering
  • Can be plugged directly to a phone (iphone 11) or computer (apple mac pro 2015) without the need of any intermediate apparatus (DAC or whatever), unless a miniature DAC exists that is both good and inexpensive
  • Ideally up to $500 but I'm willing to go up to $1,000 if there was a huge difference in sound quality
  • And the most important: The best possible sound within my above price range, including detail, soundstage and as many of the best qualities as possible

Is there a pair of headphones that you would recommend to a non-audiophile that just wants to listen to the best possible sound without getting into the rabbit hole to learn everything about it?

I guess a more tricky question would be if there is such a thing as an indisputable winner in these categories (up to $500 & up to $1,000) that audiophiles agree on?

Thanks!!!
Depends what you like. I don't think you have to spend that much, but who can say? Here is a poll of over 2,000 headphones based on listening tests:

Attachments

• Harmon Headphone Ranking.jpg
    Harmon Headphone Ranking.jpg
    263.4 KB · Views: 141

solderdude

Grand Contributor
They look 100 time's better and will last 5 times longer.
Regarding price;
or if you don't mind B stock
Didn't really answer my question about horrific highs.
Edit: and their rating is based upon deviation towards their flat bass curve not Harman or something in between.

Just reviewed the AH-D5200 (was sent in from Germany for a review)

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
@solderdude very nice review and very high regards on the end of it.
Did you play with different pads?
As much as I heard Dekoni angular sheep skin ones would shave about 3 dB or little less from bass. So I think you would prefer them like that yourself. Best regards and thanks.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I do not have those pads.
Might try some pads I have lying around.

Top Bottom