• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best Sounding Budget/Mid Range DAP for Metal bands such as Metallica, Slayer, In Flames, Rammstein

BasalGanglia

I used to use my IPOD Classic to listen to all my Mp3s but ive started getting the FLAC files for the same songs. The Ipod recently broke so been using my Samsung Note 4 phone and obviously does not sound as good. So looking to buy a new DAP but I do not really need features such as WIFI, Blutooth, Streaming etc, just one that will deliver punchy sound for the purpose of mostly Metal Bands. I also want to be able to connect it to my Marantz PM6007 amplifier. I also only have standard wired 3.5 normal earphones. Nothing fancy.

Can someone recommend one or two up to around £400. I can get the IBasso dx160 for £350 but really don't want to spend that much if I can get a good sound but without the features that I don't really need. I been looking at Fiio m3 pro, Fiio m6, Fiio m7, Hiby R3 Pro, HIDIZS AP80, Shanling M2X and finally Sony nw a105. I am not sure about the Sony though for connecting it to the amplifer as says DAC not applicable.

Last edited:

JustAnandaDourEyedDude

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I used to use my IPOD Classic to listen to all my Mp3s but ive started getting the FLAC files for the same songs. The Ipod recently broke so been using my Samsung Note 4 phone and obviously does not sound as good. So looking to buy a new DAP but I do not really need features such as WIFI, Blutooth, Streaming etc, just one that will deliver punchy sound for the purpose of mostly Metal Bands. I also want to be able to connect it to my Marantz PM6007 amplifier. I also only have standard wired 3.5 normal earphones. Nothing fancy.

Can someone recommend one or two up to around £400. I can get the IBasso dx160 for £350 but really don't want to spend that much if I can get a good sound but without the features that I don't really need. I been looking at Fiio m3 pro, Fiio m6, Fiio m7, Hiby R3 Pro, HIDIZS AP80, Shanling M2X and finally Sony nw a105. I am not sure about the Sony though for connecting it to the amplifer as says DAC not applicable.
Hidizs AP80 Pro and HiBy R3 Pro. The others you are considering should be good too. You can get the punchy sound by using the built-in equalizers to suit (they both have HiBy's MSEB equalizers, plus some presets). Though really your choice of earphones should play the biggest part in getting your desired sound signature to suit the music genre and your hearing.

Top Bottom