• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best solution for videoconferencing

audiovic

Hi all,

I'm looking for a better audio quality for videoconferencing solutions like Zoom/Skype/Teams/..., preferably through a DAC but not opposed to USB.
A listed a couple of solutions I'm thinking of:

- a specialized headset from companies like Jabra or Plantronics (I'm not a big fan of those)
- a gaming headset (brands like Edifier just as an example)
- a good headphones set with a mic like V-Moda Boom Pro
- a good headphones set with an external mic like the Blue Yeti
- an intercom/broadcast headset like Audio Technica bphs1/bphs2 or Beyerdynamic DT109 (if they're good at live streaming, they should be good at videoconferencing?)

If not USB, I'd like to pair it with a DAC (ultimately portable) with a mic input like Syba Sonic or Zoom U-22.

And preferably Linux/Windows compatible.

Budget for full gear: < 200 US$

Thanks a lot for your help and kudos for this awesome community !

L5730

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Headphones:
Either closed back or IEM. Cut down the amount of potential bleed of the other people's voice going through your microphone.

Microphone:
Condensers are going to pick up keyboard noise and other close noises more than dynamic microphones. I think most near-mouth mics and clip mics are going to be condenser mics.

VOIP has an inherently less than amazing sound quality anyway. Low bitrate focussed transmission, lossy codecs. That said, having a better sound to begin with will make some difference.

Don't be adverse to use EqAPO on Windows to adjust the microphone (ADC) sound going into any DirectSound applications. Can help fatten up or clean up some of the sound. Some VST plugins are supported also, so there is the possibility to add compression and a gate and turn off the auto-processing on the VOIP program.
Likewise, correcting for headphone shortcomings can be done, to some degree, with some EQ moves on the DAC side.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I mostly use the built-in camera, microphone and speakers in my Curved UltraWide LCD Monitor with USB-C 346P1CRH/01 | Philips monitor.

If I need to use a headset, I use Sennheiser SC 75 Binaural Headphones - Black - Audio Headphones (Call/Office Center, Binaural, Headband, Black, with Wire, 1.12 m): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories. The SC75 are light, comfortable, well made and the mic works well according to those who I asked (tested against Jabra UC Voice headset, mic array in my Thinkpad, cheap USB mic, UMIK-1 measurement mic).

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
I'm OK with Poly Blackwire 5220 with 4-pin jack and USB codec, but when I want to go "Pro" I switch to Audio Technica U871UG table condenser mic and a studio interface with Audio Technica ATH-M30x connected as headphones. Same audio interface is also connected to a pair of active studio monitors too, for music listening mostly.

I'm also OK with Plantronics Calisto P3200 and P5200 (same as P3200, but without the analogue jack), just that the minimum volume on the speaker might be too loud for some environments. I do like it's built in DSP that takes care very well of room echo.

Haven't tested Audio Technica bphs1/bphs2 nor Beyerdynamic DT109, but you might want to read some Youtube reviews about it.

If you want to spend so much money on Blue Yeti, then you might think twice, because audio/video conferencing servers will cut audio quality a lot, so you will not benefit much of the high quality microphone you are purchasing. I'm only using an external audio interface and an expensive table microphone because I have them already, but I would never spent this money only for audioconferencing. For few bucks I would anytime vote for the Blackwire 5220 or Calisto P3200/P5200 or something similar from Jabra or others.

L.E.: In case it matters, for video conferencing I use either Logitech C920, either C930, either Poly EagleEye, all doing the job pretty fine.

OP
audiovic

audiovic

Thanks all for your answers.

I'm not really familiar with PEQ on either Windows or Linux, and I don't realize how beneficial it could be to enhance voice quality for mic or headset.

As for the microphone, which solution do you think of for not capturing external noise like keyboard clicks ?

I'd like to get a headset or headphones with detachable cables, because with day to day usage, sooner or later you'll face cable issues and your headset is just garbage. Same for cushions. I own a legacy Plantronics and I'm facing those issues now (cable is cut on the sound control).

I agree that maybe the Blue Yeti is overkill.

The problem with broadcast headsets is their XLR connection usually. Need a DAC with an XLR input.

Do you still recommend to get a DAC like the Syba Sonic ?

Thanks in advance.

SimonSB

I haven't used many systems for videoconferencing, but sharing what I use may be helpful to you. I use a Blue Yeti mic, the laptop's built in camera (which is a little grainy), and either the laptop's built in speakers or the TV's soundbar when it's convenient.

I use Jitsi Meet for the software primarily as it is free (as in freedom), and a chromium-based browser. Obviously my opinions are subjective and there could be a range of variables that I am not aware of (ie other people's mics) but I feel Jitsi sounds a little less harsh than Skype. I haven't used Zoom before so I can't comment on how that sounds.

As L5730 says, video conferencing platforms will all sound a bit rubbish as they are optimised for low latency and will generally drop packets and lower the bitrate before increasing latency; I found one really easy way to improve the sound is to improve your internet connection if it is currently inadequate.

This is my first post; sorry if I get anything wrong ;)

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I haven't used many systems for videoconferencing, but sharing what I use may be helpful to you. I use a Blue Yeti mic, the laptop's built in camera (which is a little grainy), and either the laptop's built in speakers or the TV's soundbar when it's convenient.

I use Jitsi Meet for the software primarily as it is free (as in freedom), and a chromium-based browser. Obviously my opinions are subjective and there could be a range of variables that I am not aware of (ie other people's mics) but I feel Jitsi sounds a little less harsh than Skype. I haven't used Zoom before so I can't comment on how that sounds.

As L5730 says, video conferencing platforms will all sound a bit rubbish as they are optimised for low latency and will generally drop packets and lower the bitrate before increasing latency; I found one really easy way to improve the sound is to improve your internet connection if it is currently inadequate.

This is my first post; sorry if I get anything wrong ;)

Welcome to ASR!

bravomail

Hi all,

I'm looking for a better audio quality for videoconferencing solutions like Zoom/Skype/Teams/..., preferably through a DAC but not opposed to USB.

I tried AKG K361 + VModa Boom Pro Mic - cumbersome. But sound is good.
I settled in with Coolermaster MH751.
As for DAC - I didn't bother, my PC/phone audio is good enough for videoconferecing.
There are many headsets with good headphone section, but very few with good mic.
Sennheiser Drop gaming headset has good headphones but weak mic, for example.
So you can combine the good headphones with Antlion Mic or VModa Boom Pro or get a good combo.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
As for the microphone, which solution do you think of for not capturing external noise like keyboard clicks ?
If you're getting AUDIO TECHNICA BPHS1 or BPHS2 then these headsets are using dynamic mic inside which should not capture much of the ambient noise, like condenser mics.

The problem with broadcast headsets is their XLR connection usually. Need a DAC with an XLR input.

Are you sure you will not be happy with some regular USB/jack headsets from Poly/Jabra? I'm only asking so you can save some money, due to the rather poor audio quality with most audio conferencing applications.

If you still want to get an audio interface, at least get one able to support at least one XLR with phantom-power input, preferable two such inputs, just in case you will need an additional one in the future. Then you will be able to use BPHS1/BPHS2 headsets without problems (these don't even need phantom power at all, being dynamic mics inside).

Do you still recommend to get a DAC like the Syba Sonic ?
Well, not really. If you're sure you won't need XLR and phantom power in the future, then at least get an ASUS U7 or something similar from Sound Blaster, as these cards are having 3.5mm jack microphone input as well.

OP
audiovic

audiovic

Thanks all for your answers.

I was wondering how different are gaming headsets from VoIP headsets ? Because they should be used also for VoIP. Or maybe that's because gaming audio servers provide a better sound quality ?

Using a headphones+attachable mic will allow me to reuse the headphones for music.

As for the broadcast headsets like the Audio Technica BPHS1, they're usually provided with a long (> 3m) cable with an 8 pins connector on the headset side, for which I don't know whether it's standard or not.

jrosser

Someone I do regular zoom calls with has this https://www.audio-technica.com/en-gb/at2020usb. Kind of neat if you don't want to have to bother with audio interfaces / XLR / phantom power..... It has a built in DAC / headphone amp too so you can use it as an output interface too. One of the nicest home-office setups I've been on the other end of.

Once you have a good-enough mic and use headphones, the remainder of videoconferencing audio quality improvement comes from having a good internet connection and adjusting the software for highest quality rather than the default 'works under all circumstances' settings.

For headphones, perhaps decide if you want to listen to music with them when not doing videoconference and base your choice on that? Also think about how you want to appear on a videoconference, wearing a giant headset or discreet earbuds? There may be merit in trying to make the experience as close to natural conversation as you can, unhindered by obvious technical apparatus.

Thalis

I use a Behringer Xenyx 302USB for my communications needs. Has that really useful 3.5mm mic in if you do not want to go the XLR route for mics. You can use any headsets with mic... and personally I use the Koss KPH30i with it with EQ.

That being said, if you are concerned with ambient/background/keyboard noises, I would suggest a dynamic mic like a Shure SM58 or its cheaper counterparts that has a narrower carthoid field. Condensor mics do pick up more noise and those omni mics on most headsets pick up sound 360. You will need to use the XLR mic in and perhaps a boom arm for the mic. As for sound from headphones bleeding into the mic then a closed back headphones would be better. I have a Senn HD280 Pro for that. Really good for passive noise attenuation in and out.

As for listening to music... I actually quite like the Koss/Xenyx combo with EQ. Even great for movies. The Senn HD280 Pro isn't a slouch either with EQ. Just be ready for sweaty ears :p

M00ndancer

Forum Donor
Stuff I use for video conferencing:

Depends on I need more than one camera or are the broadcaster:

Hi all,

A listed a couple of solutions I'm thinking of:

- a specialized headset from companies like Jabra or Plantronics (I'm not a big fan of those)
- a gaming headset (brands like Edifier just as an example)
- a good headphones set with a mic like V-Moda Boom Pro
- a good headphones set with an external mic like the Blue Yeti
- an intercom/broadcast headset like Audio Technica bphs1/bphs2 or Beyerdynamic DT109 (if they're good at live streaming, they should be good at videoconferencing?)

If not USB, I'd like to pair it with a DAC (ultimately portable) with a mic input like Syba Sonic or Zoom U-22.

And preferably Linux/Windows compatible.

Budget for full gear: < 200 US$

Thanks a lot for your help and kudos for this awesome community !

As an educator with people on all platforms, this is what I use.
Hardware:
Cooler Master MH752 (USB) works on Windows, Linux and PS4.
Software:
VoiceMeeter Banana (Windows)
Open Broadcaster Studio (Windows, Linux, MAC)

Makes me able to route everything I need including my windows and webcam when Zoom/Skype/Teams don't do what I want.
An old example....

Reactions: trl

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods

L5730

The kicker is that a condenser mic, in a shock mount with a pop filter is going to do a pretty good job if the room is quiet, and you aren't rattling away at your keyboard or clicking on your mouse - that noise will be picked up (to a greater or lesser extent depending on orientation).
Most folks talking into a mic/camera aren't messing around with stuff at the same time.

Now, gamers indeed are banging away on their clattering keyboards and clickety mice, so it makes sense to somehow prevent a lot of that noise, potentially at the expense of outright vocal clarity on the mic.

M00ndancer

Forum Donor
Antlion Mic or VModa Boom Pro

is about as good as the mic on the mh752/751.
A quiet keyboard is nice to have, one of the better one is the Logitech MX Keys.

OP
audiovic

audiovic

Thanks all for your hints. A friend of mine lended me a Samson Q2U with a Zoom u22 interface.
I'll test them soon and write a feedback.

shaurdav

Buzz said:
I would advise you to get yourself some headphones from Sony, as they are famous for their sound quality and quality. To improve the quality, I advise you to buy a sound card. I advise you to connect the headset to the sound card, the sound will comparable with the studio, you will be heard very clearly and you will all be able to hear clearly. I am confident in this, as I used the sound card myself in the lessons, which were held through the chalkboard mobile app and I heard very clearly.
Sony has a controversial reputation, as for me

Top Bottom