• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best silver/aluminum headphone DAC and amp under $500?

Mr. Monday

I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask this, but I appreciate the focus on measurements that this forum has since I have received questionable advice on Head-Fi and Reddit.

The options I have been looking at are the Schiit Asgard 3/Modi 3+ or Modius, Topping A50s/D50s, SMSL SU-8/SH-8, and Aune X7s/X8. I have clearly been focusing on stacks because I like how they look but I'm also open to DAC/amp combo units as well as dongle DAC + desktop amp. Please let me know if there are other options I should be considering.

I don't need balanced but I do have high impedance and low impedance headphones so I need something that will work well with both. I plan to buy some $1k+ headphones in the future so I want something that will not have me thinking I need to upgrade anytime soon.

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
One option to consider is the SMSL M500 DAC/amp, although to be fair its case form factor is likely a love it / hate it thing. It does have a silver option. Output impedance is very low at 2 Ω.

The biggest question for you would be if it has enough power for whatever headphones you intend to drive. The power vs. distortion measurements (for both 300 Ω and 33 Ω loads) show the the headphone amp section is a little on the "light" side.

Top Bottom