• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best SciFi movies

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For pure entertainment value, and the most realistic depiction of how a bunch a' Oil Patch Trash save the world, it has to be Armageddon ;)

Maybe even more entertaining is the review by Roger Ebert. (https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/armageddon-1998)

I think it's neck and neck with Independence Day for pure entertainment value, big blockbuster special effects and action driven movie, with an all star cast, which is weak sci-fi story if you look too closely at the plot.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
  • 2001: A Space Odyssey - I know this was revolutionary when released - it is just a bit hard for a younger audience to fully appreciate Kubrick's cinematography. It's also very weird for the sake of being weird.
  • Blade Runner - Again, I know this was revolutionary when released - it is just a bit hard for a younger audience to fully appreciate it.

When I think about the movies I enjoyed the most in first release, the list is Alien (without an S), The Matrix, Star Wars IV and Empire Strikes Back, and Avatar (I was a little too young for 2001 and Close Encounters). There was nothing like any of them when they came out in terms of the story and how the special effects submerged one in the narrative. Newer sci-fi fans seeing them 10 or 20 years later wouldn't have the same experience. For example, the Trinity opening scene of The Matrix was a moment like nothing I had ever seen. Same with the opening scene in Episode IV.

North_Sky

Major Contributor

tankas

CineFix channel makes good quality lists, great research behing every video they release.

Picks:
10: Snowpiercer
9: Children of Men
8: Contact
7: Planet of the Apes
6: Her
5: The Prestige
4: Metropolis
3: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
2: Stalker
1: 2001: A Space Odyssey

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The science fiction world really needs a good movie version of Arthur Clarke's Rendezvous with Rama.
Plus One!

While I'm at it I'll throw in Asimov's Foundation series made into a few movies.

I'd like to see Heinlein's Friday made into a movie. It is just the kind of story that would fit current styles of movie making.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Wish grated. Almost. AppleTV network.

Babylon 5 was a great sci-fi series with a lot of firsts, good story and characters.
I hadn't heard that. Great news.

Yes on Babylon 5 too. Harlon Ellison was a consultant. They had 5 seasons planned. Did those five and stopped.

Okay so I like who they cast as Hari Seldon.

Last edited:

DChenery

Forum Donor
I think it's neck and neck with Independence Day for pure entertainment value, big blockbuster special effects and action driven movie, with an all star cast, which is weak sci-fi story if you look too closely at the plot.

Respectfully have to disagree. Any movie that blows up Bruce Willis, plus has the added bonus of a sex scene involving "The Spawn of Steven Tyler" and an Animal Cracker is leaps and bounds ahead of a movie that has illegal aliens blowing up the white house.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Though not exactly sci-fi, the Truman Show just came to mind...

Next up is a replay of Men Who Stare at Goats..,

Watched Super 8 tonight, didn't hold my attention. I found the endless narration to be annoying. Besides, that's already been done, as in The Creeping Terror:

JustAnandaDourEyedDude

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Time <=> Money <=> Life

No Time <=> No Life

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Though not exactly sci-fi, the Truman Show just came to mind...

Next up is a replay of Men Who Stare at Goats..,

Watched Super 8 tonight, didn't hold my attention. I found the endless narration to be annoying. Besides, that's already been done, as in The Creeping Terror:

Ray, what the . . . The Creeping Terror? :D

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
All Star Trek Mirror Univers episodes. Can't wait for a Quentin Tarantino Star Trek Mirror Univers movie. The only Univers he can go too:facepalm:
iCgPsYm.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom