• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best sabre ess9038 pro dac?

Cdorn78

Help me guys.

I tried the gustard x26. Very detailed, but not full enough sound.

Are there other better sabre9038pro dacs that Are better? Matrix? Schiit?

What do you guys think?

Best Christian

Hemi-Demon

@Cdorn78

That is an excellent dac, that not only measures well but has also received high subjective praise from SBAF (another forum), that uses the Schiit Yggy as the standard best dac. I am NOT saying I agree with SBAF lol. Suprised you are not happy with the X26, though.

I am biased, but if you have the cash, the Matrix Pro MQA is the best 9038pro that I have used. Have you tried the AKM dacs?

My recommendation is to:
1) Get a cleaner amp (or tube if you like warmth).
2) Get the best headphones you can afford that aligns with YOUR sound preference. Open HD 800s, Closed ZMF Eikon or Sony Z1R.

Others disagree, but I would also consider switching the opamps to the sparkos. Maybe you will enjoy the small subjective difference. They are expensive though

OP
C

Cdorn78

@Cdorn78

That is an excellent dac, that not only measures well but has also received high subjective praise from SBAF (another forum), that uses the Schiit Yggy as the standard best dac. I am NOT saying I agree with SBAF lol. Suprised you are not happy with the X26, though.

I am biased, but if you have the cash, the Matrix Pro MQA is the best 9038pro that I have used. Have you tried the AKM dacs?

My recommendation is to:
1) Get a cleaner amp (or tube if you like warmth).
2) Get the best headphones you can afford that aligns with YOUR sound preference. Open HD 800s, Closed ZMF Eikon or Sony Z1R.

Others disagree, but I would also consider switching the opamps to the sparkos. Maybe you will enjoy the small subjective difference. They are expensive though
Thx. Could you recommend some akm dacs? I also tried the chord qutest, very artificial sound I would say.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
I also tried the chord qutest, very artificial sound I would say.

Could you be more specific? :)

The Qutest also measures like a dream: Review and Measurements of CHORD Qutest DAC

There's nothing that points to neither the X26 nor the Qutest as having a sound signature of any kind.. just saying.

Not trying to be a dick or anything, but "upgrading" from an X26 seems like a unicorn chase :confused:

Last edited:
OP
C

Cdorn78

Sure. I tried both the chord 2 qute and the qutest. The qutest was very resolving, but it was not smooth as the x26 and I found the sound not so natural.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Okay, I'm gonna let someone else grab the torch on this one. Don't really feel like being the peskering voice of reason today.

EDIT: You will probably get a lot of replies in this thread in the line of "you have a lot to learn" or "did you do the test blind?". Just remember, they are not designed to piss you off, but instead to help you in the long run.

Last edited:

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Does that matter? Yes I have.
Can I ask how you interpret the differences in what you hear vs. the measurements for the Chord and Gustard DACs?

raif71

Major Contributor
I just bought a Topping nx4 dsd dac/amp (ESS 9038 implementation) and have been listening to it for a few days now. It's a bit different compared to my Fiio Q5s, K5 Pro and Stoner Acoustic ud130 (all using AKM4493). Between the ESS and AKM, I can detect differences in sound but that is not attributable to dac (all good dac with good measurements should sound the same) but implementation of both dac/amp and other circuitary. I change between both implementation and enjoy both sounds that they produced.

peterq

I think he is trying to make some relationship between his experience and measurement. I don't have experience about these high price DACs, but I compared su8 and dx3 in same condition and found su8 is a bit brighter and more resolve which I prefer. But I use a saga as preamp which thd is much lower than DAC, so I don't worry about how dac performs as it's not the bottle neck.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Does that matter? Yes I have.

Okay, I'm gonna let someone else grab the torch on this one. Don't really feel like being the peskering voice of reason today.

Nobody seem to want to be the one who states the obvious, so I guess I'll have a go at it. Please don't judge me ;)

The common consensus on this site is that DACs like the X26 most likely has zero sound signature of its own. Both noise and THD is at levels that no human being can possibly hope to detect, and the frequency responce is ruler flat. IMD is also nowhere to be seen.

If you did a comparison between the X26 and something that measures even better, the perceived difference will very likely be formed by expectation bias and/or different volume settings. If the same comparison was done blind and with matched volume, the difference will, with high probability, disappear completely.

In other words, you can't both get something "better" and something with "more full sound" at the same time.

If it measures better, it will not sound any different, and if it really has a "full sound" compared to the X26, it will not have a linear responce and it will measure far worse.

Honestly, I think you have a case of upgraditis. Whether you want to be cured or not is up to you :D

Last edited:

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
@Cdorn78 Take this as an invitation to present your views and why. The discussion, and especially your reasons, are important.

digicidal

Major Contributor
Help me guys.

I tried the gustard x26. Very detailed, but not full enough sound.

Are there other better sabre9038pro dacs that Are better? Matrix? Schiit?

What do you guys think?

Best Christian

I would say no, and yes and no again - in that order. If it's properly implemented, any of the 9038Pro DACs should be fully transparent so you won't hear them at all. If you want to tweak the FR for a "fuller" sound then do that outside of the DAC itself. The Matrix offerings seem a little better built and are more aesthetically appealing (to me at least) while having all of the features (more in the streaming version), but should sound identical given both are far below audible levels in both distortion and noise.

Get an EQ and season to taste - because I would question (as others have/will) whether your opinion is actually of the DAC vs. the recording itself (mixed lean?) or your headphones/speakers not having enough in the lows and mids for your taste - as that's usually what's described as lacking in "fullness" IME.

Top Bottom