• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best Room EQ settings for a desk setup?

thorvat

Try to convolve with the attached impulses with -6.9 dB gain. Fell free to ad HS to the EQ if you find the flat target to bright for near field.

Ehh.. Boosting LF by 7dB is rarely a good idea..

czt

Ehh.. Boosting LF by 7dB is rarely a good idea..
I don't see any problem in the excess group delay at that range, so... But of course it would be better if placement can get rid of that canyon (or a properly integrated subwoofer).

OP
juliangst

juliangst

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I suggest you try to move both sepakers as close to the wall as possible and measure again to see if LF response improved.

Attachments

• LS50_close_wall.zip
    29.1 KB · Views: 50
OP
juliangst

juliangst

Nevermind, I had filters enabled...

thorvat

I don't see any problem in the excess group delay at that range, so... But of course it would be better if placement can get rid of that canyon (or a properly integrated subwoofer).

Filling LF dips wouldn't cause any problems with excess group delay - it will simply reduce headroom by too much.

Filling the dips should only be done when all other methods have been tried, and even than you do it by 4-5dB max. It should be done based on averaged measurements over the entire LP area and not on a single spot sweep.

OP
juliangst

juliangst

Here is the response of stereo and seperate L/R measurements close to the wall (about 16cm distance)

Attachments

• LS50_nofilter_close_wall.zip
    29.1 KB · Views: 53
OP
juliangst

juliangst

Filling LF dips wouldn't cause any problems with excess group delay - it will simply reduce headroom by too much.

Filling the dips should only be done when all other methods have been tried, and even than you do it by 4-5dB max. It should be done based on averaged measurements over the entire LP area and not on a single spot sweep.
That's what most other people told be as well. Your 3 filters also sound clearer to me than the seperate filters with boost and all that

thorvat

Nevermind, I had filters enabled...

Which is ok.

That helped left speaker a lot - it's response now is nearly perfect. Unfortunately it didn't help right speaker much.
Both speaker response (which matters with LF) is unfortunately affected by phase cancellation caused by right speaker phase shift at app 100Hz.

It should still sound a little better compring to when the speakers were further away from the wall.

I suggest you experiment further with right speaker positioning.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
I do agree that speaker positioning and room acoustics is rather compromised and could possibly be better.

Assuming current positioning remains the same, and, if you are willing to apply "phase correction" through the use of a simple stereo LR convolver loaded during playback, you should be able to get a much better summed response in your individual sweeps as well as MMM results.

FDW 7 cycles applied
1659634839281.png

1659634850323.png

This is just one more EQ "fix" you can test out (but with the additional help of some "forced" FIR phase EQ) if you're so inclined. For the left channel, you'd want to create a blank FIR by disabling/bypassing that single paragraphic phase filter.

Attachments

• juliangst FIR test EQ.zip
    2.9 MB · Views: 47

thorvat

That's what most other people told be as well. Your 3 filters also sound clearer to me than the seperate filters with boost and all that

Can you switch the speakers and repeat the measurements so that we are 100% sure that the difference is only caused by positioning?

Reactions: czt

czt

I didn't said it would cause any problem, only that, it shows that the boost is maybe not pointless there. But it was only a "quick and dirty" test, juliangst will develop the correction to the necessary levels.

thorvat

I do agree that speaker positioning and room acoustics is rather compromised and could possibly be better.

Assuming current positioning remains the same, and, if you are willing to apply "phase correction" through the use of a simple stereo LR convolver loaded during playback, you should be able to get a much better summed response in your individual sweeps as well as MMM results.

FDW 7 cycles applied
View attachment 222374

View attachment 222375

This is just one more EQ "fix" you can test out (but with the additional help of some "forced" FIR phase EQ) if you're so inclined. For the left channel, you'd want to create a blank FIR by disabling/bypassing that single paragraphic phase filter.

Oh, so that convolver supports FIR as well? That is good news.. :)

I agree - as I mentioned in my post above phase of right speaker shoud indeed be corrected at 100Hz in order to get better summed response, but I really wouch for finding a better position for it. I have a feeling that vertical shelf that sits near to the right speaker is responsible for it's messy LF performance.

Sokel

Master Contributor
I assume you made measurements from your listening position. What is your listening distance?

Did you measure using moving microphone method as shown here?

Do a measurement like shown in that video, post REW file with measurement and I'll lhelp you with the filters.
Just for checking,is that the proper settings?

pinknoise.jpg

OP
juliangst

juliangst

Can you switch the speakers and repeat the measurements so that we are 100% sure that the difference is only caused by positioning?
Just checked it. Same response

thorvat

Here's what i think you should do. You're a smart guy, if you managed to master REW to make such good measurements you will be able to master rePhase as well. Download it here, and try to build separate left and right filters. Do not modify the phase except at 100Hz for the right speaker, as @ernestcarl showed you. Keep number of filters as small as possible - 3 should be enough for each channel. Do not correct beyond 300Hz. Add same high shelf fliter to both channels to suit your personal taste for LF balance.

Ask for assistance if stucked. Good luck!

czt

Here's what i think you should do. You're a smart guy, if you managed to master REW to make such good measurements you will be able to master rePhase as well. Download it here, and try to build separate left and right filters. Do not modify the phase except at 100Hz for the right speaker, as @ernestcarl showed you. Keep number of filters as small as possible - 3 should be enough for each channel. Do not correct beyond 300Hz. Add same high shelf fliter to both channels to suit your personal taste for LF balance.

Or design the gain filters in REW with selecting rePhase as equalizer, save to xml, import in rePhase, correct phase and generate impulse.

OP
juliangst

juliangst

Thanks! I‘m going to try this tomorrow or on the weekend.

Top Bottom